50 Greatest Players of All-Time Redeux

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LeBron, Kobe, Duncan are no doubters. You don't even have to be an NBA fan to know those 3 are 3 of the best to ever play...

All of the rest I've read so far... Eh. There's room for discussion. But those 3 are the only ones I would say right now find 3 to take off that list because those 3 are top 3 or 4 to ever play their position.

If he would not have died early Len Bias would be on that list. MJ and most of the coaches of the ACC have said," he was one of the all-time great ACC players ever". The guy could out-jump Kenny Walker and had a soft touch on his jumper. One of the best players I watch in person.

Call me a young buck if you will, but there are many of those names I don't even recognize...

Paul Arizin?

Dave Bing?

Billy Cunningham? (Like of talkshow fame.. right? Kidding)

Dave Debuschere?

Hal Greer?

Sam Jones?

Dolph Shayes?

Bill Sharman?

Call me a young buck if you will, but there are many of those names I don't even recognize...

Paul Arizin?

Dave Bing?

Billy Cunningham? (Like of talkshow fame.. right? Kidding)

Dave Debuschere?

Hal Greer?

Sam Jones?

Dolph Shayes?

Bill Sharman?

Being in my mid-40's, I too, was unfamiliar with most of these guys. After looking them up, it seems most played in the 50's, 60's and maybe the early 70's. Going to be hard to judge different eras.

Greer, for example, stopped playing in 1973. He's the all-time leading scorer for the 76'ers...and is 32nd all time for the entire NBA.

Being in my mid-40's, I too, was unfamiliar with most of these guys. After looking them up, it seems most played in the 50's, 60's and maybe the early 70's. Going to be hard to judge different eras.

Greer, for example, stopped playing in 1973. He's the all-time leading scorer for the 76'ers...and is 32nd all time for the entire NBA.

It really depends. You can't compare eras, it is too objective. You can, however, compare players to other players of their era. Those who dominated should be respected.

Sam Jones, Dolph Schayes, Bill Walton, Billy Cunningham, Dave Cowans (I know this will make a few guys mad being a NKY guy...but to 50 really after adding the new age guys to the list?) Lenny Wilkens, Robert Parrish.

Jones. Was he even considered "great" in his era?

Schayes. Ahhh, tough one here, but loses points by siring Danny Schayes.:lol2:

Walton. Sorry, not enough stats, hurt too much. Could have been one of the top 50 but considering a whole career, I take a LOT of centers before I do him.

Cunningham. After refreshing myself of his stats and career, maybe not. Still when one think's of top 50 guys, he does not roll off the tongue.

Wilkens. Good player, but top 50 in 2014? probably not.

Parrish. Several centers I would rank above him. Tough player but not top 50 today.

Cowans. Probably did as much or more with his ability as anyone on that list and I'd want him on my team. But probably drops off the list in 2014.

Right or wrong I don't know, but theres a short list of 7. Others could be argued off the list, the above I mentioned some could be argued to stay on the list. Very hard to compare eras I something like this. For instance George Miken could easily come off the list when looking at just raw talent, but was a big force in the game in his day and age.