50 Greatest Players of All-Time Redeux

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malone never won a title either. AI was, and still is, one of the best pure scorer's to ever play the game. He had a lot of off-court issues that caused his career to end way too early IMO.

Keyword there is IMO.

Malone didn't win a title, but he's the second all time leading scorer for cryin' in a bucket... Malone wasn't without his off the court issues (a lot of people had off the court issues) but it didn't derail his career.

Not disagreeing at all, but winning a championship like Dirk did (when he was the GUY) has to be factored in when comparing him to a guy that never won one.

Side note: Can you imagine what Dirk could've done with a PG of John Stockton's caliber passing him the ball all these years?

I don't think Dirk can really complain about his PG's. He played from 98 to 04 with Steve Nash who is #3 all time in the NBA in assist and from 08 to 12 with Jason Kidd who is #2 all time in the NBA in Assist.

I don't think Dirk can really complain about his PG's. He played from 98 to 04 with Steve Nash who is #3 all time in the NBA in assist and from 08 to 12 with Jason Kidd who is #2 all time in the NBA in Assist.

Nash is not on Stockton's level IMO. Kidd is/was. Unfortunate that Kidd in his prime and Dirk in his didn't get to play together.

Kidd is another name that probably should be given serious consideration. Outside of Stockton, was there ever a better PG?

Nash is not on Stockton's level IMO. Kidd is/was. Unfortunate that Kidd in his prime and Dirk in his didn't get to play together.

Kidd is another name that probably should be given serious consideration. Outside of Stockton, was there ever a better PG?

I'd probably say Magic, but I was a lot younger when he played so I might be a little blinded by his highlight tapes.

Forgot about Magic, he was #1. So Kidd is #2/#3 on the all-time PG list. That's top 50 all-time IMO.

The Big O might just have something to say about being the number 2 pg of all time. And since he is routinely considered by many a top 5 player of all time, I don't think Kidd, Stockton, or anyone else has much of a say so on the #2 pg spot.

Oscar Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though I am personally not a huge fan of his as I mentioned in another thread, I'm not too sure I wouldn't take Isaiah over Stockton, Kidd or Nash. Of those three I think it would be Stockton, so it would come down between him and Isaiah for me I think.

The Big O might just have something to say about being the number 2 pg of all time. And since he is routinely considered by many a top 5 player of all time, I don't think Kidd, Stockton, or anyone else has much of a say so on the #2 pg spot.

Oscar Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though I am personally not a huge fan of his as I mentioned in another thread, I'm not too sure I wouldn't take Isaiah over Stockton, Kidd or Nash. Of those three I think it would be Stockton, so it would come down between him and Isaiah for me I think.

I always viewed Robertson as a 2 guard....I'd take Isaiah over Nash. Don't think I would over Kidd.

I always viewed Robertson as a 2 guard....I'd take Isaiah over Nash. Don't think I would over Kidd.

Usually considered the first true "big" point guard...Magic before Magic, that could also score more so than the traditional pg's up to that point. Even looking at his stats today...I just have to stand in awe...the guy was a baller among ballers.

Something I also didn't know. The wiki article mentioned something about the assist stat being much more stringent back in Oscar's day making an assist tougher to get at that time, yet he STILL had all those assists. Does anyone know what the difference was back at that time is registering an assist?

Let's hear your argument for what makes CP3 in the conversation? What makes the other guys a lock?

To define, a lock to me is a guy that if their career ended tonight, they would no doubt make the list.

If any of the guys I listed as locks careers ended today I would have no problem putting them in the top 50. Without even looking at stats for CP3 I would say he is in the conversation because he has either been considered the first or second best PG since almost the moment he stepped into the league.

Usually considered the first true "big" point guard...Magic before Magic, that could also score more so than the traditional pg's up to that point. Even looking at his stats today...I just have to stand in awe...the guy was a baller among ballers.

Something I also didn't know. The wiki article mentioned something about the assist stat being much more stringent back in Oscar's day making an assist tougher to get at that time, yet he STILL had all those assists. Does anyone know what the difference was back at that time is registering an assist?

I believe, but am not positive, that in the past the person receiving the pass could not dribble before he shot and that is now permitted. I think I heard that right.

I don't know if I would take Cowens off either but I really don't recall Dave going against Gilmore much more than a year or so did he? Gilmore was ABA until 1977 I believe. Malone was ABA until then too wasn't he?

They played the 76-77 season through the 80-81 against each other.