SWEET 16....who is the FAVORITE now?

I can hear it already. It won't be pretty. What I'm more inclined to hope happens is that Trinity and PRP meet up and we get the all-Louisville final. That one will be entertaining to read about as well.

Absolutely. Who will the non-aligned fans boo to loudest? My guess would be the evil private school.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. This hoptown team may be the favorite, but they are the prohibitive favorite. They have flaws. They have trouble at the line at times. If they aren't turning you over and dominating on the offensive boards they can have trouble scoring. If the game is called tight they can get in some foul trouble.

I would disagree with your Q. Cager comment. He gets wild sometimes and can take a game that's in control and turn it into a game that's in doubt. He's an incredible athlete and definetly adds a spark, but sometimes that comes with a price.

i agree here ballard was number one all year long. hoptown trinity matchup will be great dont know much about trinity but i know they like to slow the game down and hoptown likes to run but can play the half court with the best of them and they stagger the press sometimes when you never know when its coming and get guards all alone in the backcourt and having guys running like db's in football to pick the pass. i know trinity is a big team which will be tough! Hoptowns starting five is 6'6 6'6 6'4 5'11 5'11 with a 6'6 and 6'2 and 5'11 coming off the bench. if trinity keeps Hopkinsville out of the paint and off the boards they will beat my tigers. if hoptown plays strong on the block like they have been i think its theirs to take if they come to play.

Also guys watch Hoptowns backup guard Q cager! he is the best guard on the team but comes off the bench to steady the waters, he made all region 2 team. i personally and alot of people in the west believe he is very underrated. scoring 20 in each region game. he can control the pace of the game to his liking. i haven't seen someone with the ball handles he has in a while in the west.He is big to where he can bump and make contact on the way to the basket he really is a treat to watch with his dipsy doo moves. He knows where all his team mates are at all times. He can make defenses collapse on him driving because of his scoring ability but his passing ability is just as good to find the open man once he makes the d collapse on him.

The private vs. Public talk is silly. In Northern Kentucky all the schools fight over the same athletes. District Boundaries mean nothing. In Louisville and Lexington the same is true. I guess Trinity may get a kid from indiana every once in a while, but Male, Ballard and all ther other Louisville schools do the same.

in Hoptown you have kids constantly moving from school to school. Just this year a state champ from Christian County, Quan Poindexter, ended up at Hoptown and is a starter at the 4 spot for them and is averaging a double double. To start the private vs. public stuff is silly. The good programs in the bigger cities with multiple schools all go after the same kids and work the rules just the same.

Relax, all I'm saying is that there are a zillion polls. Most said Ballard. That's it. No I don't think the AP poll is the best of the bunch frankly. No more, no less.

spindoc ive seen u show love to hoptown and the west. But i agree ballard was the consensus number #1 in state. Im just joyed to know my tigers are in the talk of it! im Just enjoying it in the moment just like any fan of their Alma mater would!

I havent seen someone on here yet just trash the west. Heck we are trying over here to keep up with the east haha. Hey its hard, lot of good teams up yalls way.

Good post. This hoptown team may be the favorite, but they are the prohibitive favorite. They have flaws. They have trouble at the line at times. If they aren't turning you over and dominating on the offensive boards they can have trouble scoring. If the game is called tight they can get in some foul trouble.

I would disagree with your Q. Cager comment. He gets wild sometimes and can take a game that's in control and turn it into a game that's in doubt. He's an incredible athlete and definitely adds a spark, but sometimes that comes with a price.

yes i agree the charity stripe is hard on the tigers! i personally would rather have Q Cager than not though! He took over last nights game as far as guard play! I couldn't believe Tra held David Simmons to just 2 points the whole game!

spindoc ive seen u show love to hoptown and the west. But i agree ballard was the consensus number #1 in state. Im just joyed to know my tigers are in the talk of it! im Just enjoying it in the moment just like any fan of their Alma mater would!

I havent seen someone on here yet just trash the west. Heck we are trying over here to keep up with the east haha. Hey its hard, lot of good teams up yalls way.

I wish we all could have seen them more. It's a weird divide that separates the west from the rest. I don't think for one second that anyone in the state would be the least bit shocked if the Tigers hoisted the big trophy. I look forward to watching them play.

Both Lit and Cantrall will come out with their statistical ratings, plus I imagine BGP and AP, I think.

Top 4 any order (class of the tourney)

Hoptown, Scott Co., Cov Cath, Trinity

Next Tier (good chance if they play their games)

PRP, Wayne Co., KCC

Intriguing (playing well)

BG, O'boro, Campbell Co., Bardstown

I'd be shocked (just don't see it)

McCracken, South Oldham, Johnson Central, Clay County, Fleming Co.

Just the Maniac's unbiased, no doubt usually wrong, opinion

Pretty solid assessment

I wish we all could have seen them more. It's a weird divide that separates the west from the rest. I don't think for one second that anyone in the state would be the least bit shocked if the Tigers hoisted the big trophy. I look forward to watching them play.

JokersWild made a great point earlier about their loss early in the the KOB. Had they won that game and played some more of the top teams from Louisville and the rest of the state, we'd have a much better idea of where they stand. As it is, they lost their first game in that tournament and the team from Florida that beat them was CRUSHED by Newport Central Catholic in the second round.

Now, head-to-head comparisons and games from December only mean so much. It really just comes down to the fact that I don't know how much Hopkinsville has really been tested and they're about to run into a lot of teams that have been playing some serious competition for months. Trinity, Scott Co., etc. have been playing top-level teams from across Kentucky all season long. They're tempered by close, difficult games and firing on all cylinders.

Hopkinsville has shown some great things; I hope they're prepared for the level of competition they're going to see. There are no let down moments at Rupp Arena.

Im not the type to count eggs before they hatch because its anyones title now but i promise you will get your moneys worth on the hoptown games. just such a fun team to watch, full of high flyers and just that run and gun basketball. Im a basketball fanatic and love that type of basketball and most people being from kentucky does too because thats what both schools from this state do on the national level!

JokersWild made a great point earlier about their loss early in the the KOB. Had they won that game and played some more of the top teams from Louisville and the rest of the state, we'd have a much better idea of where they stand. As it is, they lost their first game in that tournament and the team from Florida that beat them was CRUSHED by Newport Central Catholic in the second round.

Now, head-to-head comparisons and games from December only mean so much. It really just comes down to the fact that I don't know how much Hopkinsville has really been tested and they're about to run into a lot of teams that have been playing some serious competition for months. Trinity, Scott Co., etc. have been playing top-level teams from across Kentucky all season long. They're tempered by close, difficult games and firing on all cylinders.

Hopkinsville has shown some great things; I hope they're prepared for the level of competition they're going to see. There are no let down moments at Rupp Arena.

Couldn't agree more. However, geography is the only thing that hinders their schedule after the holiday tournaments. After seeing them last year, I don't think the bright lights at Rupp will affect them. They are gonna be outstanding in my opinion. Gonna see them on Wednesday.

People keep questioning their schedule after the holiday tournaments. They played mutliple region winners and region runners up in the back half of their schedule including Taylor County, Owensboro and others... No, they didn't play ballard or Scott County but they did play a tough schedule. Easily the toughest schedule west of the natcher.

People keep questioning their schedule after the holiday tournaments. They played mutliple region winners and region runners up in the back half of their schedule including Taylor County, Owensboro and others... No, they didn't play ballard or Scott County but they did play a tough schedule. Easily the toughest schedule west of the natcher.
Frankly, that's the best they can do. It's not feasible to play those other schools with the travel distance frequently. Again, they'll be fun to watch.

It should be a fun time at Rupp. My question about this team all year was whether they had the mental toughness of the 2012 team. Last night they did. If they keep that up I like our chances. The 2012 run started with a come from behind win over Ballard. Let's hope history repeats.

I can hear it already. It won't be pretty.

What I'm more inclined to hope happens is that Trinity and PRP meet up and we get the all-Louisville final. That one will be entertaining to read about as well.

Trinity & PRP would be hated, but Trinity & CovCath would be welcomed. Those two student sections? Rupp Arena would break.

I'm thinking CovCath gets adopted as the fan favorite at the Sweet 16, partially because of how they play but mostly because of the crazies.