Highlands Baseball

83birds

I was just curious how things may or may not be going for the baseball team this year. How many kids are out? Are there any upper classman that are playing or is spring football again causing problems? Who are the coaches this year?

I was just curious how things may or may not be going for the baseball team this year. How many kids are out? Are there any upper classman that are playing or is spring football again causing problems? Who are the coaches this year?

To start with, they had enough quality players without having to have 7th and 8th graders on the team like last season. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but to have stronger and more experienced players can only help IMO. Right now I think the have the cut down to about 31 with maybe a second cut when some of the basketball players come out. I know Andrew Roller was going to come out but he had shoulder surgery. Trey Jurgans is on the team who lettered in football last year. There are a couple of more upperclassmen, Coleman, Dowling, O'Brian, (sp. on all?) that are football players. There are also about 7 or 8 freshman that play football, maybe more depending on basketball that are on the JV team.

With the basketball teams success to come in the near future, I don't think there will be time for any of the football/baseball players to do spring football without missing to much of baseball. Their first game is March 27. Taking two weeks off might hurt some too much in baseball. I'm not sure if it will be a problem or not with the football coaches. They said they would work together.I've been told though that you can win your spot in spring football for the next season. I guess we'll see.

Why can't a school as big as HHS get enough players for a Frosh baseball team?? There is no "feeder system" for baseball to keep kids interested?

Highlands would have enough kids for a freshman team I believe it has to do with title nine. Not enough girls sports to even out the extra boys sport.

Why can't a school as big as HHS get enough players for a Frosh baseball team?? There is no "feeder system" for baseball to keep kids interested?

You mean the Ft. Thomas Jr. BAseball league is not a good feeder system??:lol:

I have to say the first time I signed my son up for that he showed up and there were 19 kids and 8 coaches...... for 1 team.

I am sure HHS baseball gets fed from the local Knothole systems....

Bellevue High School also has a Freshman Team. If there are enough Freshman Players that want to play Baseball at the Freshman level. Then all of these schools should have their own feeder system!!!

I cant believe this....when I was in school there in the late 80's...we had 8th graders playing varsity baseball....could barely put together enough kids grades 8-12

I have heard a couple names of kids at HHS and not sure where they will fit in but just heard these two boys played on a traveling team over the winter.....Pat Allen and kid named Muench (big stick).

There is a great feeder system in Ft. Thomas. Two years ago 3 teams from Ft. Thomas played in the Greater Cinn. Knothole City Championship. (B,C, and D Division) The Muddog's won the B Div. and Hosea Hitmen © and Valvoline (D) Div. got beat in the final's. Last year the Viper's (B) from Ft Thomas won the City Championship in Division 1 . There is going to be plenty of talent to select from in the next few years. I think that Mike Johnson and Jim Abner will really like the future Birds once they make it to Highlands. I just hope that football doesn't gobble these young birds up!

The Muddogs, who won the city B title 2 years ago, were mostly NCC-Bellevue kids. 3 kids from HHS and only 1 saw the field on a regular basis. My point being...having no frosh team keeps 12 or more kids from continuing to develop. Even in Knothole you see the "dwindling" of teams as the age increases. (Also keeps soph and junior hopefuls on the sideline..instead of developing at the JV level.) I think it's just a shame for the sport.