KY Sweet 16 Draw

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 9th region winner could have to beat two top 10 teams just to make the tournament, and another two (PRP and Wayne Co (or KCC/PCC)) to make the finals. If they make it, it will be well deserved.

Yes, but NCC has already beaten PRP (1-1 vs them) so could go either way, and they have beaten KCC and now Cordia twice. I think the bottom half of the bracket is MUCH easier to advance to the finals (that's a good thing) vs. the top half with Ballard/Trinity, Hoptown, Scott Co. or Lafayette, and even Moco or Brossart. That's crazy loaded up there.

and CovCath has shown through their tough schedule that they can play with anyone. I also never count out the Dawgs but I think they are a little light this year, but nothing would surprise me.

Not saying it's easy, but a 9th Region team will play for the Championship.

Yes it is.

I definitely don't see them beating either of those teams. Just saying I think Fleming (especially if Burns gets healthy) keeps the 16th from being the weakest region.

Totally agree. But Rowan and Ashland both could upset them in the region. Not a forgone conclusion by any stretch there. Should be an exciting tournament.

Yes it is.

The last 3 regions drawn into the top bracket were the 16th, 10th, and 15th. At that point, the 2nd, 7th, 11th were already on.

Before those last three were drawn, I was seriously thinking to myself, "if the 6th or 9th ends up in this bracket, it could be one of the most top loaded brackets I've seen".

If I could see one team that I've not seen yet this year, it'd be Doss. Would really like to see them on a night when they are on top of their game. To me, given the draw, they're one of the biggest wild cards in this.

Doss has been solid, but if PRP has really turned a corner since the LIT, there may be no stopping the Panthers in the Sixth.

You have to remember; somebody in that first round can easily get upset. You never know how a team will respond to that atmosphere.

Most of the favorites have at least some Sweet 16 experience.

Of the top 6 teams in the top half of the bracket:

Hoptown was in the semis last year

Ballard was in the championship last year

Trinity won it all 2 years ago (Ivory and Owens were both role players on that team)

Scott Co. was in the finals 2 years ago (Gilbert was a starter for them)

Lafayette - No Experience

Montgomery Co was in the semis last year

Bottom half is a little more open/less experienced, but not extremely.

Knott Central played in the quarterfinals last year

Perry Central - Beverly played (extremely well) as a 7th grader 3 years ago.

Wayne Co. - Lost in the first round last year.

PRP - Lost in the first round last year.

Doss - No experience

Holmes - played in the quarterfinals last year

NCC - No experience

Cov Cath - No Experience.

Most of the favorites have at least some Sweet 16 experience.

Of the top 6 teams in the top half of the bracket:

Hoptown was in the semis last year

Ballard was in the championship last year

Trinity won it all 2 years ago (Ivory and Owens were both role players on that team)

Scott Co. was in the finals 2 years ago (Gilbert was a starter for them)

Lafayette - No Experience

Montgomery Co was in the semis last year

Bottom half is a little more open/less experienced, but not extremely.

Knott Central played in the quarterfinals last year

Perry Central - Beverly played (extremely well) as a 7th grader 3 years ago.

Wayne Co. - Lost in the first round last year.

PRP - Lost in the first round last year.

Doss - No experience

Holmes - played in the quarterfinals last year

NCC - No experience

Cov Cath - No Experience.

Agree. And of course, that's assuming they win their region. Looking forward to it already!

The 9th region has got to be liking this draw. Anyone can beat anyone but to be opposite of Trinity/Ballard, Hoptown, Scott Co., Lafayette is nice.

I like the 9th Region representative to get to the finals.

I thought the same thing when I saw the draw.

While I know it's tough to draw a region like the 7th or the 11th right out of the gate, I've always been of the old school mentality that "you've gotta play the big boys sooner or later".

I think it's a big deal for a school who hasn't been recently to get a favorable first round game. Gives more time to adjust to the atmosphere, shooting background, etc.

Example of that would be Wayne County in 2004. Guard oriented team who I don't think had been in awhile. Drew Mason County right off and lost. I like their chances in that game much more if it's a quarter or semi final and they've had a chance to catch their breath and adjust some.