Bieber

SportsGuy41017

DUI is a minor offense in the grand scheme of the law. Look at how many people are arrested for it on a daily basis. I bet we have more than a few BGP members who have gotten a DUI during some point in their lives.

Thank you, someone showing rationale thought and common sense!
I think it's more a matter of society taking it lightly. It is not a minor offense. It's not minor to the people who are killed or permanently disabled by drunk drivers. It wasn't minor to my friend's sister and her newborn baby. It wasn't minor to Run to State's late sister. Yes, there are a lot of people arrested for it. But that doesn't diminish the seriousness of the offense.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's more a matter of society taking it lightly. It is not a minor offense. It's not minor to the people who are killed or permanently disabled by drunk drivers. It wasn't minor to my friend's sister and her newborn baby. It wasn't minor to Run to State's late sister. Yes, there are a lot of people arrested for it. But that doesn't diminish the seriousness of the offense.

No doubt it's serious in those aspects. But like I said, people get busted for it every day and most are not deported from this country much less serve any jail time.

Drunk driving fatalities has been declining consistently over the last handful of years from the last numbers I saw (year end 2011 or 2012 data).

It's pretty simple, most DUIs don't result in jail time for first time offenders. I consider a major crime to be one that involves mandatory time served for any offense.

And this is why people die. This comment should be posted in every courtroom that sees a DUI case.

Agreed, DUI is not minor! Not just him, but anyone who is not a citizen. Too many non- citizens drive under the influence and/ or get into accidents, many do not have insurance too, yrs, citizens get DUI's too, but as a non-resident you are required to follow rules and laws, more so than a citizen

The people who buy his awful "music" are the enablers here …

I hear your point, and many others feel the way you do. But the kid has talent even if some don't like his music, and he makes a lot of money off of it. But I'd like to see him get his act together and stay alive, even though his music doesn't fit my taste.

Section 237 of the INA describes the crimes for which a noncitizen may be deported. A DUI may fall within a category of crime that is deportable. The categories for which a DUI may fall under as a deportable offense according to the INA are aggravated felonies, crimes of moral turpitude, and controlled substance offenses.

Do I think it will happen! No! Should all non US citizens who fall under the categories be considered for deportation? Yes.

It won't happen because it isn't logical or feasible.

Won't disagree with the feasible part. Logical is another issue. I think it perfectly logical to demand (not expect, but demand) that laws be followed and visitors to this country be on their best behavior. And, probably for the vast majority of visitors here legally they probably do exhibit good behavior. For some on the other hand...:idunno:

Look, it's ok to admit you don't like the kid and want him out of the U.S. but don't try to pin your hopes of deportation on a DUI. It just ain't happenin'.

Not sure who this post was referring to or just a general statement, but I will reply. I don't have, or didn't have, an opinion of the kid one way or the other. Don't care for his music, but I can say that to probably 90+% of the artist out there so that doesn't influence me one way or the other. But when you start and continue to do stupid stuff then cross the line of illegality...that's when the opinion and the talk starts.

No doubt it's serious in those aspects. But like I said, people get busted for it every day and most are not deported from this country much less serve any jail time.

And I have argued for a long time now that people SHOULD spend jail time on a first offense with a very penal fine. It would, in my opinion, greatly curtail the epidemic of drunk driving in this country.