Christen Cunningham May Be Leaving Cordia Soon

Late last month, Christen Cunningham selfishly chose to abandon his current teammates before their trip to Perry County Central for a tilt with 22 Feet Academy. As if that weren’t repulsive enough, apparently he took a trip out of town to take a look at another school, and one can only assume that he has enrolling at that school next year in mind. How this will affect Cordia’s team chemistry this year remains to be seen, but should at least be assumed to be prima facie evidence that things in Knott County are spiraling out of control, at least until further notice.

Sources tell me that the school he visited was an elite academy in Pennsylvania with posh dorms and money to spare. Apparently, they are trying to build a better basketball team of “paid” mercenaries by using their academic reputation and conference affiliation to lure in talented athletes under the guise of athletes going to class as a regular student.

As of press time, some have speculated that, on arrival, the head coach of the program asked Cunningham if he was aware that he went to Cordia and that kids there are not supposed to care about education, which I can only take this to assume that he reads Kentucky sports message boards.

There is no other explanation for this besides coming to the logical conclusion that Cunningham or the deep-pockets school throwing out such offers doesn’t possess self-awareness in the least, as he probably shouldn't be looking at attending a school so far out of the realm of possibly for anyone attending a small, folksy place such as Cordia and the school recruiting him shouldn’t be scraping the bottom of the barrel (especially in such a public manner).

I can only assume that Cunningham must be some sort of evil wizard, as, despite all of the aforementioned knowledge, he walked away with an offer that, when using future valuation, would carry a six-figure price tag for the everyday person. Though this may seem too good to be true at first glance, we all know that everything comes with a price, and this deal with the devil requires him signing a contract for at least one year, though “escalator” clauses may bind him for up to four years under the threat of penalty.

Realistically, and despite all of this, Cunningham’s enrollment at the institution may be a possibility. Rumor has it that this same school has stolen away a kid who was a graduate and star athlete of a top NKY prep powerhouse after he guided his team to the semi-finals of the state tournament. Fear not though, defenders of all that is inherently superior and traditionally homogenous about “basketball the way it should be played”, as a rival school has already offered to entertain Cunningham on another free visit, which may have already occurred as well.

Earnest folks can only wonder why, with nefarious shenanigans like this going on, what is occupying the KHSAA’s time and resources and how they allow this blatant recruitment of Kentucky High School athletes to continue.

In the name of all that is holy, please, stop this mess. What has happened to our educational priorities and how can we keep losing our State's children to the clutches of these shameless diploma mills?

There is no other explanation for this besides coming to the logical conclusion that Cunningham or the deep-pockets school throwing out such offers doesn’t possess self-awareness in the least, as he probably shouldn't be looking at attending a school so far out of the realm of possibly for anyone attending a small, folksy place such as Cordia and the school recruiting him shouldn’t be scraping the bottom of the barrel (especially in such a public manner).

I can't respond to the point as I am still trying to break down this ONE SENTENCE.

Realistically, and despite all of this, Cunningham’s enrollment at the institution may be a possibility. Rumor has it that this same school has stolen away a kid who was a graduate and star athlete of a top NKY prep powerhouse after he guided his team to the semi-finals of the state tournament. Fear not though, defenders of all that is inherently superior and traditionally homogenous about “basketball the way it should be played”, as a rival school has already offered to entertain Cunningham on another free visit, which may have already occurred as well.

1. Who is the NKY kid?

2. How could said school have "stolen" him if he is a "graduate?"

1. Who is the NKY kid?

2. How could said school have "stolen" him if he is a "graduate?"

Don't know about "stolen", maybe that was a little bold, but I know they were talking to him while he was still enrolled at Covington Catholic and he ended up with them later on.

Don't know about "stolen", maybe that was a little bold, but I know they were talking to him while he was still enrolled at Covington Catholic and he ended up with them later on.

So you're saying a kid from the 2004 CCH team went to a prep school ? Who are we talking about?

How long have you been sitting around brewing up such a post? Trying to justify all the other goings on at Cordia by using one players college visit is just so clever.

Congrats to CC for being courted by such an elite academic institution. I said it when you posted the information originally, and I echo it again. It is an honor to be considered for admission to an Ivy league school.