Favorite Food for Thanksgiving

kygirl

Oysters Rockefeller are fantastic. A new restaurant in town makes a "Kentucky Rockefeller" using collard greens and country ham. Very good.

Sounds like a nice twist on it. Essentially the same thing but with a southern twist. Unfortunately I don't have any restaurants near me that serve oyster Rockefeller. At least none that I frequent, so the only time I get it is at the beach. But its definetly my go to app when near the coast.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Canadian Thanksgiving like American Thanksgiving except they watch hockey instead of football and eat round bacon and poutine while swilling down Tim Horton's coffee?

... yeah my vision of Canadian Thanksgiving actually sounds great.

This is exactly what it is all a-boot, eh?

I can tell you what is not on my list. Anything my mother-in-law touches in the kitchen. Most horrendous cook I have ever come in contact with. She makes one thing for any event, special occasion, or holiday... and that is carrot cake. It too is wretched. She once burned fully cooked turkey sausage.

You do know that she just signed up to BGP because of the reduced rate for new forum members, right?

Eating whatever you want doesn't have to mean as much as you want :D

I may get banned from this thread, but one tip I have is to use a salad plate when you get your main course. We end up stuffing our plates anyways, and we are visual eaters, so cutting the size of your plate still gives you plenty of food and knocks down the calories by 25%-35% I would say.

But then whoever is in line behind me would have to carry my second plate.

Now, my contribution to the fare:

Grandma's date nut pudding. Grandma is no longer with us but her date nut pudding lives on.

You do know that she just signed up to BGP because of the reduced rate for new forum members, right?

But then whoever is in line behind me would have to carry my second plate.

Now, my contribution to the fare:

Grandma's date nut pudding. Grandma is no longer with us but her date nut pudding lives on.

Date nut pudding sounds interesting.

Yum lawildcat! Is it a casserole or whole sweet potatoes? Can you PM or post it?

Kahlua Sweet Potatoes:

4 medium sweet potatoes

1/4 cup butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup kahlua

3 T. toasted choppen pecans (optional)

In saucepan, boil potatoes until just tender. Remove from pan and cool slightly. Peel. Slice into serving size pieces. In a heavy skillet, melt butter with sugar. Add kahlua. Cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet potatoes. Turn to coat with sauce. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes. Turn potatoes again. Sprinkle pecans over top. Serve.

Kahlua Sweet Potatoes:

4 medium sweet potatoes

1/4 cup butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup kahlua

3 T. toasted choppen pecans (optional)

In saucepan, boil potatoes until just tender. Remove from pan and cool slightly. Peel. Slice into serving size pieces. In a heavy skillet, melt butter with sugar. Add kahlua. Cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet potatoes. Turn to coat with sauce. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes. Turn potatoes again. Sprinkle pecans over top. Serve.

Nice, thanks so much!

Btw, currently there is a $2 Kroger downloadable e-coupon for Kahlua (and many other spirits @ the Kroger liquor store). Tis the season.

The look forward to's:

* Carving our bird tonight and my inlaws tomorrow while taste tasting

* Pepperidge Farm Dressing with sauteed onions ( I'll do oysters as well )...have to use chicken broth and some turkey drippings also

* Mashed taters w/ skins, sour cream, vitamin D milk

* Turkey dripping gravy

* Buttermilk biscuits smothered in butter & honey

A good glass of red wine with the meal and plenty of beer to compliment before and after!!! And plenty of cold turkey sandwiches with Hellmans Mayo for the next week-in-a-half... :lol2:

Happy Thanksgiving early folks....make it a good, full of gratitude, and blessed one!!! :thumb:

In addition to the regular favorites:

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

Real Mac and Cheese with bread crumbs on top.

Home grown green beans and corn

My Aunt Luella (RIP) used to make home made donuts for Thanksgiving. Those were my favorite of all time.

I love Thanksgiving.

Leftover turkey sandwiches are also my favorite.