Covington Catholic Wrestling-Dawn of a Program

I agree with everything you said.

However, I have 5 friends who wrestled in high school, and excepting formerkywrestler (he's not the biggest dude I've ever met, and I would guess he didn't ever have to cut weight, but I've never talked with him about it one way or another), every one of them had to cut weight. I've heard stories about water and celery diets for 3 or 4 days straight, going for runs in the summer wearing sweats over top of sweats with a garbage bag over top of the whole thing....lots of unhealthy stuff.

Wrestling has changed some over the last decade or so. Weight cutting still goes on, but for the most part weight cutting involves lose a handful of pounds and mostly at mid and smaller weights. Your larger weight classes rarely have to cut (heavyweights only need cut if they are over 285 lbs). Wrestling is a huge sport in many states, but for some reason here in Kentucky, a lot of misperceptions still exist, especially concerning the need to cut weight.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen that myself but I never personally did it. If I was too heavy I just wrestled up but I wasn't all that good so I only ever wrestled JV. I had a state champion and a state runner that were the same age as me in the weight classes I could have wrestled in. I wasn't beating either of those guys in a wrestle off so I guess it didn't matter. :D

Who would of that been...Just curious?

I've been told that football players at CovCath are encouraged not to join the wrestling team.

I have heard of many schools to discourage wrestling if they are playing football. I think sports have become so "Year Round" that the coaches think the athletes are not giving their full attention to one sport. I wish this wouldn't go on because that's not the case, I think it is a power struggle between sports and coaches.

• 1 month later...
I have heard of many schools to discourage wrestling if they are playing football. I think sports have become so "Year Round" that the coaches think the athletes are not giving their full attention to one sport. I wish this wouldn't go on because that's not the case, I think it is a power struggle between sports and coaches.

I don't think you have to work too hard to discourage football players from wrestling. From what I can remember from way back when, they drop like flies once practice starts in earnest! :sssh:

I've been told that football players at CovCath are encouraged not to join the wrestling team.

What's funny is the football program always complains about other sports discouraging kids from playing multiple sports. If I had a dollar for each time I was told that the basketball coach(es) discourage basketball players from playing football, I'd be watching these NCAA games on a 80'' flat screen tv.

• 4 months later...
Is Covcath still doing wrestling? I know they didn't fare well last season.

From what I have hear, yes they will have a team again. Last year that had about 20 kids on the team which did not include a single senior (according to the school website). They had 1 player, Joe Marino I believe, qualify for the state tournament. I would be surprised if more than a couple of kids on the team have ever wrestled before in their lives. As far as I know, none of the feeder schools of CCH have or offer wrestling. I do not know if their are club teams or anything like that to join either. They did lose big most of the time but have to give credit to the boys that showed up every day to start a program from scratch. I heard a few months ago that CCH was in the talks about building an auxiliary gym. But for all I know that could be all talk and not true at all. If that is true and it does happen. Wrestling would greatly benefit from that.

• 1 month later...
From what I have hear, yes they will have a team again. Last year that had about 20 kids on the team which did not include a single senior (according to the school website). They had 1 player, Joe Marino I believe, qualify for the state tournament. I would be surprised if more than a couple of kids on the team have ever wrestled before in their lives. As far as I know, none of the feeder schools of CCH have or offer wrestling. I do not know if their are club teams or anything like that to join either. They did lose big most of the time but have to give credit to the boys that showed up every day to start a program from scratch. I heard a few months ago that CCH was in the talks about building an auxiliary gym. But for all I know that could be all talk and not true at all. If that is true and it does happen. Wrestling would greatly benefit from that.

Last season there were 35 kids that tried out for wrestling and we ended the season with 17. It is typical to lose about half of the kids that try wrestling for the first time and the numbers will build as the feeders are established. With that said, Cov Cath Middle School wrestling will begin this year and share facilities with the High School team at the Griffin Center. The capital campaign is still ongoing and hopefully a new gym will be part of it. For now the wrestling room is a good place for this program and certainly fills our needs.

Last season we began the season with a team filled with all first year wrestlers, with the exception of 1 kid that wrestled for a year in the youth program at Ryle. The team finished with no Seniors and Joe Marino at heavyweight became the first state qualifier for Cov Cath and he was a first year wrestler. Like anything that will be successful long term it takes some time to establish the correct culture for a new sport at a school with a strong athletic program. The tremendous support of the admin and boosters combined with a great staff will allow this program to grow and build into a successful team in the coming years.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with everything you said.

However, I have 5 friends who wrestled in high school, and excepting formerkywrestler (he's not the biggest dude I've ever met, and I would guess he didn't ever have to cut weight, but I've never talked with him about it one way or another), every one of them had to cut weight. I've heard stories about water and celery diets for 3 or 4 days straight, going for runs in the summer wearing sweats over top of sweats with a garbage bag over top of the whole thing....lots of unhealthy stuff.

The weight cutting misconception is what holds so many people from enjoying a tremendous sport. I can tell you that nearly the entire team finished the season at the same weight class that they began the season at. Unhealthy weight cutting will not be tolerated at CCH and the athletes are given information on proper nutrition and guidelines for additional training. The current system with the NWCA oversight will not allow extreme weight cutting.

Wrestling is a tremendous compliment to football and is the best thing for those players in the winter months. The sport of wrestling utilizes different muscles and provides such a "feel" for leverage that can not be duplicated. Football players would not be forced to lose weight, each athlete chooses the weight class they want to compete at.

How many football players are on the wrestling team? (last year, since this year hasn't started)

Out of the 35 that gave wrestling a shot, 7 of them were coming from football. A few other kids had previously played football, but were not currently playing. Of the 7 football players that tried wrestling 2 finished the season.

• 6 months later...

The future for Cov Cath Wrestling and Football will be bright with the new FB Coach Eddie Eviston. He wants his player to be competing in the offseason and experiencing as much as possible during their high school days. As he said you can only simulate so much during the offseason FB program and nothing quite compares to the hand to hand combat that wrestling provides. This year should be MUCH different in that aspect and will help both programs grow together. There is a FB coach in town that sees the value in wrestling for the athletic development of his FB players.

To prove this point Coach Eviston has hired Head Wrestling Coach Dave Johnson to be his SS/OLB coach. Big things are on the horizon for this program and this school! Go Colonels!

Bragging about wrestling Moeller who's 2 X state Football Championship team from the year before last had a very large number of Starters who not only wrestled but were high state placers in OHIO and Cov Caths football team would stand about the same chance against them as their first yr wrestling team would have .Football coaches need to live up to their Hype and quit living off of the talent that falls in their lap and learn how to develop it wrestling can help any football player in any position and size .