Rose Hill 61 Boyd County 60

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blue Blazer states that "a rule is a rule" which, actually, is misleading. There is no rule. The tournament was moved to Boyd County because the four district teams did not agree on a site. Fairview and Rose Hill voted to have it at Rose Hill. Ashland and Boyd County voted against it. Then, Rose Hill and Fairview voted to have just the first round at Rose Hill. Again, Ashland and Boyd County voted against it. Only then did it become an issue for KHSAA which, of course, chose for monetary purposes. If Ashland and Boyd County did not object, at least the first round would have been at Rose Hill. Stating that the KHSAA required that the tournament not be held at Rose Hill is not quite correct. However, it has been good spin.

Blue Blazer takes a poorly veiled shot at Rose Hill's freshman team and its forfeit in his post. Since tonight's win over Boyd County was led by four members of that freshman team (3 8th graders and a 9th grader), I would suggest that he should be pleased with his forfeit.

I would also like to ask Blue Blazer to explain where he got those nine state championships. My history books indicate four-1928, 2 in the 1930s, and 1961. I would also think that it is significant to add that none of the championships were won with Ashland playing in that gymnasium. All were while the school was old Ashland High School located on Lexington Avenue. The main "claim to fame" of the present gymnasium is the recollection of many of the time that the floor was so slick that a game had to be stopped. Also, although Larry Conley never played there, Paul Revere and the Raiders and Bo Diddley did so.

I'm not being nasty toward Blue Blazer or toward Ashland. I just think that facts help.

As for Coach Pratt, his team, and its fans, they were first class in all respects. Owens is a fine player.

Maybe I counted wrong whenI watched a game up ther last week! Anyway as a basketball buff I love walking on the floor of James A. Anderson! I loved the games I got to play there it was a special gym! Anyway I thought and I use it loosely (thought) the KHSAA said that the gym had to hold the average attendance of the tournament over the last so many years or something! Nevertheless, I'm glad the 64th will be played in a spacious place, I am just stating there is no place like James!!! I think the banners in the James A. are a little intimidating!!!! However Scooterbob, I do think that the KHSAA does have a rule if the member schools don't agree, and that is what they fell back on because of the vote of Ashland and Boyd Co. And as for the shot at the freshman team I agree "A Rule is a Rule" It obviously pays to know them! I wonder if the James will have any concerts coming soon! Maybe Teresa Wright Jarell could do a solo there! :dancingpa

Of course you love your home gymnasium, Blue Blazer. Nothing wrong with that. However, I don't think non-Ashlanders find it as intimidating as they probably did at the old Ashland High School gymnasium. Actually, your basketball tradition was built almost entirely on the latter. Also, I hope I didn't confuse you with the facts. That seems to happen sometimes.

Of course you love your home gymnasium, Blue Blazer. Nothing wrong with that. However, I don't think non-Ashlanders find it as intimidating as they probably did at the old Ashland High School gymnasium. Actually, your basketball tradition was built almost entirely on the latter. Also, I hope I didn't confuse you with the facts. That seems to happen sometimes.

Well, I have to say that I really like the Tomcats chances to beat Rose Hill away from the "STEW" after tonights game it looks like the Tomcats and Lions cast the right vote to move it out of the "STEW"! :jump:

It should not be about the money, it should be about the kids. :dancingpa :dancingpa

Luke 1:37, I also have to disagree and say that the only kids that want to play it at the Stew is the Rose Hill kids, and maybe Fairview because they drew Boyd Co. and it is there home floor! The facts are that most kids would rather play on the new floor and big gym with a huge crowd at Boyd Co. instead of a small cramped up gym! The STEW is nice but it is very small! It's funny that Luke 1:37 said it was all about the money, because wasn't Luke a tax collector? Anyway it struck me as funny! ;)

Can we get back to the game? A great win for Rose Hill!

Bair- fabulous on the 3's tonight!

Fuller - tried to shut down Bair and guess who stings ya! F U L L E R !

Euton - 3- pointer to give RH the lead was magnificent

Snyder - would NEVER hit anyone intentionally, not even in their "shooting arm" (give me a break)

Bush - up in your face defense, he's all over you

Chinn - leader, you came to play and to win

Jackson - well, you finally are listening to the instructions I shout to you at the games (tee hee hee). Superb defense. Proud of ya.

Jackson - Big Man, you keep it coming. 12 blocked shots in JV game.

Owens, I think you are a great player. I did see a glimpse of the "attitude"

issues when you were leaving the locker room. You never know who is watching............

Actually, Blue Blazer, you are probably wrong again. I would think that most kids would like to play on their own home floor when their schoiol is the host. However, you are certainly correct that Ashland did not want to run the risk of playing Rose Hill on Rose Hill's floor. All Rose Hill really wanted was to be able to host the opening round on its floor. I think that was reasonable. I think that it is reasonable to believe that an Ashland-Rose Hill game crowd could easily have fit into Rose Hill's gymnasium. Historically, Ashland has never brought many fans to games at Rose Hill for middle school or girls games. I don't think the varsity game would have been much different.

For example, regardless of what some may post, Stewart Gymnasium was not remotely filled for the Boyd County-Rose Hill game. That is true even though the Garnes memorial ceremony was planned. In fact, a number of people paid to get in and left immediately after the pregame ceremony. If the gymnasium holds 1,050 as many believe, I would estimate that no more than 650, including players and cheerleaders, were present.

You may argue that the Boyd County-Fairview game would possibly have required more seating since these are widely recognized as the two best teams in the district. However, Rose Hill was willing to move that game to another site. Actually, the site impasse was settled by KHSAA before the draw.

Nonetheless, it was a fine night for Rose Hill and a preview of what is to come the next four years. Coach Fraley deserves success. Many doubted his sanity when he took the job. It appears that there is a definite method to his madness.

Blue Blazer, we disagree again.

Bottomline, kids shouldnt lose the right to play in their gym because of the POSSIBILITY that it might sell out. Where is the line drawn? Diddle Arena at Western KY actually has lowered their seating capacity over the years, sometimes there are things more important than the $$$$$$ or whether everyone sees the game or not. Everyone that wants to see Oak Hill-North College will not get to see it. Should we move it to the RCA Dome to appease everyone?

I am surprised you dont put the kids ahead of everyone. I say let the host team be just that and host the tourney at least long enough for them to play at home.

Some of the best games I have been to have been in those packed cracker boxes with maximum capcity plus going crazy. Sounds like therre is a lot more people there than there really is and creates a great atmosphere for the players. I agree players enjoy playing for the crowd, I just disagree it has to be in a large gym to be obtained.

Can we get back to the game? A great win for Rose Hill!

Bair- fabulous on the 3's tonight!

Fuller - tried to shut down Bair and guess who stings ya! F U L L E R !

Euton - 3- pointer to give RH the lead was magnificent

Snyder - would NEVER hit anyone intentionally, not even in their "shooting arm" (give me a break)

Bush - up in your face defense, he's all over you

Chinn - leader, you came to play and to win

Jackson - well, you finally are listening to the instructions I shout to you at the games (tee hee hee). Superb defense. Proud of ya.

Jackson - Big Man, you keep it coming. 12 blocked shots in JV game.

Owens, I think you are a great player. I did see a glimpse of the "attitude"

issues when you were leaving the locker room. You never know who is watching............

Could someone tell BC play by play man that there is not a Blair on Rose Hill team. It is Bair.

Actually, Blue Blazer, you are probably wrong again. I would think that most kids would like to play on their own home floor when their schoiol is the host. However, you are certainly correct that Ashland did not want to run the risk of playing Rose Hill on Rose Hill's floor. All Rose Hill really wanted was to be able to host the opening round on its floor. I think that was reasonable. I think that it is reasonable to believe that an Ashland-Rose Hill game crowd could easily have fit into Rose Hill's gymnasium. Historically, Ashland has never brought many fans to games at Rose Hill for middle school or girls games. I don't think the varsity game would have been much different.

For example, regardless of what some may post, Stewart Gymnasium was not remotely filled for the Boyd County-Rose Hill game. That is true even though the Garnes memorial ceremony was planned. In fact, a number of people paid to get in and left immediately after the pregame ceremony. If the gymnasium holds 1,050 as many believe, I would estimate that no more than 650, including players and cheerleaders, were present.

You may argue that the Boyd County-Fairview game would possibly have required more seating since these are widely recognized as the two best teams in the district. However, Rose Hill was willing to move that game to another site. Actually, the site impasse was settled by KHSAA before the draw.

Nonetheless, it was a fine night for Rose Hill and a preview of what is to come the next four years. Coach Fraley deserves success. Many doubted his sanity when he took the job. It appears that there is a definite method to his madness.

scooter,

I've been agreeing with you a lot lately, and most of this post I agree with. But to say that a school like Ashland would bring the same amount of fans for a postseason DISTRICT boys varsity game, as they do a regular season middle school or girls game is a little off base. Don't you think? :confused: