Highlands 53 Bishop Brossart 49

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 officials get paid $50 each for varsity game and 3 officials get paid only $40 each in the 9th region. Other regions are paid differently.

Ninth region Refs are definitely underpaid.....but for the most part, you get what you pay for !! :ylsuper:

Mustang, the issue of having two officials can be blamed on the tight pockets at Highlands.

I was at the Holmes/Highlands game and they only had two officials there also. This is completely dictated by the home school and whether or not they are willing to pay for a third official. Highlands was contacted directly and told that they should have three officials for these big games, and they refuse.

The extra money they make at the gate on these big games would more than enough pay for the third official. Maybe they are saving the basketball gate money to buy some new football equipment. :flame: Or fix a jumbotron :flame: ... or .....

The officials at the Holmes/Highlands game spent more time stopping the Highlands and Holmes trash talking than they did officiating basketball. The officials get blamed for a game in which calls are missed. Blame it on the tight wad administrators.

We are behind everyone in the state with implementing the 3 man crew across the board. The Ninth region officials need to start refusing to work games of this caliber unless there is a third official. NO EXCEPTIONS

I can't imagine it came down to $20.... I mean come on. It is true though, they are tight. They should be....the funding that the school district recieves from the state is totally ridiculous.... thank you KERA :madman:

The high school gymnasium at HHS is also ridiculous. They replaced part of the floor in the Northwest corner and the wood is obviously a different color. The ventilation in that gym is horrendous.... there are no aisleways....none even painted to look like an aisle so you have to weave your way in and out and hopefully not fall on people in the process. I was actually hoping when Guidugli threw that pass at the end of the game that nailed the light.... I was hoping it would cause it to fall, maybe start a fire and burn the gym down...I do not think though it is over $20......

I can't imagine it came down to $20.... I mean come on. It is true though, they are tight. They should be....the funding that the school district recieves from the state is totally ridiculous.... thank you KERA :madman:

The high school gymnasium at HHS is also ridiculous. They replaced part of the floor in the Northwest corner and the wood is obviously a different color. The ventilation in that gym is horrendous.... there are no aisleways....none even painted to look like an aisle so you have to weave your way in and out and hopefully not fall on people in the process. I was actually hoping when Guidugli threw that pass at the end of the game that nailed the light.... I was hoping it would cause it to fall, maybe start a fire and burn the gym down...I do not think though it is over $20......

After everyone got out safely of course :fire:

Mustang, the issue of having two officials can be blamed on the tight pockets at Highlands.

I was at the Holmes/Highlands game and they only had two officials there also. This is completely dictated by the home school and whether or not they are willing to pay for a third official. Highlands was contacted directly and told that they should have three officials for these big games, and they refuse.

The extra money they make at the gate on these big games would more than enough pay for the third official. Maybe they are saving the basketball gate money to buy some new football equipment. :flame: Or fix a jumbotron :flame: ... or .....

The officials at the Holmes/Highlands game spent more time stopping the Highlands and Holmes trash talking than they did officiating basketball. The officials get blamed for a game in which calls are missed. Blame it on the tight wad administrators.

We are behind everyone in the state with implementing the 3 man crew across the board. The Ninth region officials need to start refusing to work games of this caliber unless there is a third official. NO EXCEPTIONS

Cheap Shot.........................I don't think that it's over 40 or 50 bucks.

The team is playing great and the coaches are working hard!!

Where is the love???

Actually, the KHSAA needs to decide if they want two or three officials. Having the options keeps officials out of their "rhythm." The cost isn't that much more because they reduce the individual amount. Yes, over the year it would add up but not that much. IMO, if you don't see three officials all season, why would you want them in the big games. Officials are used to two man crews all season long and all of the sudden you want them to work in three man crews on big games? I don't get that. Three man crews only slow the game down. The officials (and everyone else) think that since there's a three man crew, nothing should be "missed." Honestly, you may still be at the HHS/HHS game if there was a three man crew.

Actually, the KHSAA needs to decide if they want two or three officials. Having the options keeps officials out of their "rhythm." The cost isn't that much more because they reduce the individual amount. Yes, over the year it would add up but not that much. IMO, if you don't see three officials all season, why would you want them in the big games. Officials are used to two man crews all season long and all of the sudden you want them to work in three man crews on big games? I don't get that. Three man crews only slow the game down. The officials (and everyone else) think that since there's a three man crew, nothing should be "missed." Honestly, you may still be at the HHS/HHS game if there was a three man crew.

Stickymitts, you are correct about the costs. I believe it is reduced (per official) if it is a three man crew. I don't think it makes that much difference to the officials in terms of rhythm. I have worked both, and it is not that much different. Three man really requires officials that are disciplined enough to referee only thier area, and not follow the ball or watch the entire floor. However, the officials that are working 3 man crew games are the upper echilon of officials so they are disciplined.

The one area that I wish people would quit harping on is the perception that having three officials causes more calls to be made. THIS HAS BEEN PROVEN NOT TO BE TRUE. The National Federation of High Schools has calculated statistics (actual data, not perception) and three man crew games have fewer whistles. There are many theories as to why, but it is FACT!!!

I should save the prior paragraph for every time someone complains about three man crews causing more whistles. This way I can just cut and paste it. I should ask the guru if he can program the site that everytime someone makes this accusation, that it automatically appends this paragraph. It happens @ once a week on BGP. :irked: :irked:

Stickymitts, you are correct about the costs. I believe it is reduced (per official) if it is a three man crew. I don't think it makes that much difference to the officials in terms of rhythm. I have worked both, and it is not that much different. Three man really requires officials that are disciplined enough to referee only thier area, and not follow the ball or watch the entire floor. However, the officials that are working 3 man crew games are the upper echilon of officials so they are disciplined.

The one area that I wish people would quit harping on is the perception that having three officials causes more calls to be made. THIS HAS BEEN PROVEN NOT TO BE TRUE. The National Federation of High Schools has calculated statistics (actual data, not perception) and three man crew games have fewer whistles. There are many theories as to why, but it is FACT!!!

I should save the prior paragraph for every time someone complains about three man crews causing more whistles. This way I can just cut and paste it. I should ask the guru if he can program the site that everytime someone makes this accusation, that it automatically appends this paragraph. It happens @ once a week on BGP. :irked: :irked:

There's a HUGE difference between the NFHS' numbers and what I've seen in the 9th region. :thumb:

BTW, IMO the reason why is that you are seeing the entire court. Nothing out of the corner of your eye that looks like contact when it really isn't. Not bad officiating, it's just you can only see so much. Also, players know there are another pair of eyes on them so they're more cautious. Just my theory, though.

I've been to watch many games where there were 3 refs and less fouls need to be called than with 2 refs. Maybe when the kids see 3 refs walk out they know they won't be able to get by with any cheap shots away from the ball, therefore less fouls are needed to be called?

Ninth region Refs are definitely underpaid.....but for the most part, you get what you pay for !! :ylsuper:

Again... an uneducated comment on BGP. :irked:

The ninth region officials have been rated in the higher ranks in the state for years. Here again is some facts... not uneducated comments.

1. Many of the long time "average" officials in the ninth region, leave the ninth region and go to the surrounding regions and immediately get higher rankings in those regions. You can read into that stat what you want.

2. The ninth region officials frequently get called from sorrounding regions to work big games. You can read into that stat what you want.

3. Many of the ninth region officials have college officiating experience. They get out of working college games because of the travel requirements, or for family reasons.

4. Several of the ninth region officials are now working division 1 college games.

:flame: :flame: