Highlands 53 Bishop Brossart 49

I agree he plays hard, but he had a third in the Holmes vs. Highlands game. He may not have gotten a technical in that game. He was just trash talking the whole game. This stuff also takes him out of his game. He disappeared for a while in the Holmes game. Probably preoccuppied with the trash talking.

As an official, I would say they are forced to keep an eye on him because a kid that responds the way he does to any physical play, is a kid that could explode and take a cheap shot at someone. Not saying he would, but he is the stereotype.

The play at Cov Cath was just good hustle on the CC players part diving for a ball when he took Guidulgi's legs out, but Guidulgi got up went after him. The CC kid didn't deserve a technical in that case... he deserved kudo's for good hustle. The officials gave them a double technical to send a message to both teams that they weren't going to tolerate the garbage.

The T's on both parts were well deserved. Both players got in each others faces and neither "went after" each other as you say. A little jawing at each other is far from going after someone.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, but was Rice not jawing as well? How do you feel about Jefferson complaining about something to the officials at every dead ball. I agree that officials in the 9th keep a very close eye on Ben as well as Tanner Johnson, but they are by no means the only players in this region that have the potential to blow up. All I know, is that if I was starting a team Ben G. would be one of the first if not the first player on my roster. You have to have an attitude about you when you play sports and he definitely has it.

I am sorry, but was Rice not jawing as well? How do you feel about Jefferson complaining about something to the officials at every dead ball. I agree that officials in the 9th keep a very close eye on Ben as well as Tanner Johnson, but they are by no means the only players in this region that have the potential to blow up. All I know, is that if I was starting a team Ben G. would be one of the first if not the first player on my roster. You have to have an attitude about you when you play sports and he definitely has it.

Well said, I cant see where you call a Technical foul on simple Jawing. You break it up and warn them. That is what the little Jay Leno wannabe did so Ben cooled off. Ben is a gamer, a beast and you need an attitude like his on your team. As read on an earlier thread regarding the choir boys from Cov Cath.... they could benefit from a Ben G type. They seem to have too many Mr. Nice Guys.... good players but not enough shirt tails hanging out.... not enough Madden type players.

Well said, I cant see where you call a Technical foul on simple Jawing.

The following is read before every game to the captains and coaches.

"The Kentucky High School Athletic Association requires officials to enforce sportsmanship rules for athletes and coaches. We will not tolerate negative statements or actions between opposing players, especially trash-talking, taunting or baiting of opponents. If such comments are heard or actions seen, a penalty will be assessed immediately. We have been instructed not to issue warnings. Let today’s contest reflect mutual respect."

Trash talking and Jawing escalates into pushing and fighting and neither has any business on the high school basketball court.

"The Kentucky High School Athletic Association requires officials to enforce sportsmanship rules for athletes and coaches. We will not tolerate negative statements or actions between opposing players, especially trash-talking, taunting or baiting of opponents. If such comments are heard or actions seen, a penalty will be assessed immediately. We have been instructed not to issue warnings. Let today’s contest reflect mutual respect."

Trash talking and Jawing escalates into pushing and fighting and neither has any business on the high school basketball court.

You know how rules are though. If everyone would just abide by the rules.....lets see there would be no murders, rapes, illegal drug activity, fraud, ..... I can go on and on. Sure they are going to put that in writing but it typically is at the discretion of the official and they can make a good judgement as to when they should immediately blow and when they should get in between and warn. No need to copy and paste the official rules anymore.....takes too much time and proving something to me means nothing.

Not trying to prove anything to you, just a retort and difference of opinion on your statement about the T's. The players are warned like you recommended. If the refs don't call those T's and somebody slugs an opponent, then it is the ref's fault for not taking control of the game.

I am guessing a referee is the one reading the statement, and then not enforcing it. Back in the day this was not a problem. Yes there was jawing but it was subtle. You would have found a seat by the water cooler if you did anything out of hand. The problem is todays players have evolved to their current behavior due mainly to the thugs they watch in the NBA. Head coaches now deem this as acceptable behavior and referees tolerate it. Next you will see a player going into the stands.