Highlands 53 Bishop Brossart 49

Brossart has proven all year they can play with anybody, they took PC to the wire at Brossart. I was really worried about last nights game after the loss to Holmes on Tues, but the boys responded well. I have been to a lot of Highlands games this year and one thing I can say about Willies boys is that they do not panic or show neeed for urgency. They simply play hard and give it their all the whole 32 minutes. I think that is a good reflection on thier coach. Also every game I watch Eaton play I think he improves somehow in some area, that kid gets all his worth for his talent. He had the two big shots in the 1st quarter, while our offense was getting started. Good close win for the Birds, they beat a quality team last night

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brossart's three was a bank. They took very few threes.

I am not a Code fan, but I thought his team played hard, looked sharp executing on offense, and played tough D. I really liked Brossarts team and how hard they played. Somone else said it, but they looked like mirror images of the birds.

The Brossart fans need to grow up and quit crying. I wasn't on the Highlands side so I don't know how our fans were, but Brossarts fans whined the entire game about the officiating. As Mustang said the fouls were close to even and if you take out the free throws down the stretch when Brossart had to foul then Brossart actually shot more. The officiating was what it was and didn't decide the game. Note to Brossart fans, when you spend the game begging for hand check fouls and three seconds you were begging for help that your kids didn't need.

I think the difference Willie Schlarman has made in the Highlands program is dramatic and it can be summarized in a word, passion. Highlands may never have Derrick Smiths, Jared Lorenzens, or Ross Neltners again, but Willie will always wring whatever talent he has out and get the most out of them. I think that is true of the bunch he has playing right now.

Brossart did struggle from behind the arc last night. Shots that usually fall did not. It was an off night but it also had a lot to do with Highland's defense.

Regarding Brossart's fans it appeared to me that both sides of the gyms were doing their fair share of complaining. That tends to happen in physical hard fought games. Brossart's former coach also scored high on the whining report card. I guess he taught his former fanbase well, lol. Note to OB, maybe you should wear earplugs at the Scorer's table. All that aside, Willie is a great coach and we like him and root for his team when he is not facing his former charges. He put Brossart Basketball on the map and we will always be grateful to him for that. Coach Code has continued the mission very well. Some say it was planned when he joined Willie at Brossart. Whether it was planned or not it has worked out well for BBHS.

With the similar coaches these two teams are mirrors of each other which made for a great game. Both are class programs with class kids. That was evident after the game when several players and the head coaches from each team exited their locker rooms and sought each other out to show mutual respect and wish the other team the best of luck come tourney time.

Good luck to both teams :thumb: .

Actually these teams do mirror each other quite a bit, as one would expect from two coaches who used to work together, and grew up in the same system. I thought the difference as both coaches aptly pointed out was experience--Highlands being a senior dominated team vs. Brossart's primarilly junior team. BB reminds me a little of Highlands last year, in that 5 of their 7 losses were by 5 or less; only they've managed to win quite a few more games than the 'Birds last year. Best of luck to both teams as they get ready to head to district and hopefully regional play!!

BTW Oldbird, didn't you have the same "rabbit ears" two years ago at the scorer's table, with the same group of BB fans?? :D

I dont watch many JV games so I dont know much about Wise but with those big guys from Brossart getting into some early foul trouble, last night would have been a good time to insert him in there and draw some fouls. Or maybe just bang them around a little. Eaton is Mr. Intangible and Hudepohl seems very cool on the floor... McGraw looked like a Sophomore last night... seemed a little rattled by the tough defensive pressure. It does though seem that those 9 guys sitting on the HHS bench are simply sitting in Bob Euchre's seats and thats about it..... maybe a better view of the game.

Mcgraw did not see the floor the 2nd half. That bench just keeps getting shorter. I also think stealing a couple of minutes with Wise would have helped. Send him just to bang with those big guys and who knows maybe you draw a cheap foul or two. If not you get Tanner, Ben, or Smith a little rest time.

I am sorry, but what exactly does Wise do in the JV games that warrants him getting PT at the varsity level? The bench is going to be 8 deep, has been and will be for the remainder of the season. They do not need to go any deeper than that. Heck when Shields was there the bench went no deeper than 6 around this time of year.

I am sorry, but what exactly does Wise do in the JV games that warrants him getting PT at the varsity level? The bench is going to be 8 deep, has been and will be for the remainder of the season. They do not need to go any deeper than that. Heck when Shields was there the bench went no deeper than 6 around this time of year.

I have only seen part of one JV game this year (CovCath)and Wise was banging inside playing D and got a couple of RBs. Did not look to much of a scoring threat. You're probably right about his JV production not warranting PT. What we really don't know is what he does at practice. Thats where you gain playing time. 6 deep is fine if you have Muntis Vories Sullivan Fischer and two Malones, and you think you can make a run in Lexington.

I have only seen part of one JV game this year (CovCath)and Wise was banging inside playing D and got a couple of RBs. Did not look to much of a scoring threat. You're probably right about his JV production not warranting PT. What we really don't know is what he does at practice. Thats where you gain playing time. 6 deep is fine if you have Muntis Vories Sullivan Fischer and two Malones, and you think you can make a run in Lexington.

My point was that whether he (Wise) is a dog or not... you gotta waste some fouls when you play a team like Brossart and give your big guys a rest. Putting Wise in would not be to improve the quality of your team. From what Mike has told me, he really worked hard in the offseason and hit the weights hard. Being a jr..... his time is running out though and he needs to be more of a factor in JV games. Next year it is safe to say the Birds will be hurting....nice to see you up at 7am out on Red Bank Crunch......

1976 ...Kenny brought 6'9" Bob "preying" Muntis into the dstrict game against St. Thomas. Loser goes home. Just stands there in the middle of the 2-3 zone with his hands up. Blocks a couple shots...1-2 rebounds....4-5 minutes. Changed the dynamic of the game. Point being, Kenny was willing to go as deep as he needed to with the troops he had

My point was that whether he (Wise) is a dog or not... you gotta waste some fouls when you play a team like Brossart and give your big guys a rest. Putting Wise in would not be to improve the quality of your team. From what Mike has told me, he really worked hard in the offseason and hit the weights hard. Being a jr..... his time is running out though and he needs to be more of a factor in JV games. Next year it is safe to say the Birds will be hurting....nice to see you up at 7am out on Red Bank Crunch......

Exactly my point in earlier post with stealing a few minutes with Wise. Considering Willies statement about taking it easy in practice (after Holmes game) could be a testament to how he feels about his bench. Looks like he is going to ride his 7 guys to the end, which is why hes not going to push them in practice. With the team he has this is not a bad strategy. He just has to protect from getting tired legs through the district and regional tournaments. You may have revealed my identity, what do ya think 83Birds.

Yeah it was nice seeing you guys out at Red Bank this A.M. Sorry that I was late, but heard the goaltending was fabulous. As for the hoops, really do not think that Wise brings much to the table at this point in time. McGraw needs to play with more confidence. Comparing Wise to Muntis is a bit of a stretch IMO. Willie is going no deeper than 8 and that is the name of that tune.

Yeah it was nice seeing you guys out at Red Bank this A.M. Sorry that I was late, but heard the goaltending was fabulous. As for the hoops, really do not think that Wise brings much to the table at this point in time. McGraw needs to play with more confidence. Comparing Wise to Muntis is a bit of a stretch IMO. Willie is going no deeper than 8 and that is the name of that tune.

Wise as a JR is light years ahead of what Bob Muntis was as a Frosh in terms of being able to compete at the varsity level. IF he knows his role, he COULD be a valuable 2-3 minute a half player. IMHO

correct, they played well.... hopefully the girls can carry it over to the Spring.

wise to Muntis.....that is funny. :laugh:

Overwhelmed is the term I would use - Totally Overwhelmed!

They tried to be good guys and let them "play" early and never got in control of the game. Totally brutal in the paint.

It was a war out there and they couldn't make either side happy.

A three man crew and a veteran with some command might have helped.

As it was the fouls were about even. Brossart hit on 18 of 24 from the stripe and the Birds 13 of 22. Both teams had 14 two-point goals, but the Birds won the battle from behind the arc 4-1.

Mustang, the issue of having two officials can be blamed on the tight pockets at Highlands.

I was at the Holmes/Highlands game and they only had two officials there also. This is completely dictated by the home school and whether or not they are willing to pay for a third official. Highlands was contacted directly and told that they should have three officials for these big games, and they refuse.

The extra money they make at the gate on these big games would more than enough pay for the third official. Maybe they are saving the basketball gate money to buy some new football equipment. :flame: Or fix a jumbotron :flame: ... or .....

The officials at the Holmes/Highlands game spent more time stopping the Highlands and Holmes trash talking than they did officiating basketball. The officials get blamed for a game in which calls are missed. Blame it on the tight wad administrators.

We are behind everyone in the state with implementing the 3 man crew across the board. The Ninth region officials need to start refusing to work games of this caliber unless there is a third official. NO EXCEPTIONS