Lee 65 Breathitt 55

BadCat

BTW- has anyone else received negative pm's about the JBS coaching staff seemingly from out of the blue ? Just curious.

Wouldn't know what you are talking about :sssh:

I agree xray; Breathitt is improving and will continue to do so as they are a young team with lots of talent and are well coached.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breathitt keeps improving and if they don't pull an upset in the post season this season I look for them to have a good summer and be a contender next year.

I see so much potential in that team. I can see how they beat Leslie. They were hitting so well last night and if they did this against Leslie and stayed out of foul trouble...

I know the justin holland(pg), Smith kid downlow and i believe there are 2 more from that team on it im just not for sure what their names are.

Hollon, Smith, and Combs, are the only 3, I think. Then they start Moore, the Senior and Colby Fugate who's also a sophomore I think, not sure about that.

8th grade to high school has nothing in common though and part of the disillusionment with this years team is how they were blown up as 8th graders, etc. I think Hollon and Combs have made a lot of headway this year but not so much with Smith. He really needs to get a lot stronger and establish himself more if he's going to play big man on a 14th region team. Right now boys not near his size are moving him anywhere they want and he's scoring about 2 points per game. He kicks the ball back out most times or takes a low percentage shot from 10 feet.

Hollon, Smith, and Combs, are the only 3, I think. Then they start Moore, the Senior and Colby Fugate who's also a sophomore I think, not sure about that.

8th grade to high school has nothing in common though and part of the disillusionment with this years team is how they were blown up as 8th graders, etc. I think Hollon and Combs have made a lot of headway this year but not so much with Smith. He really needs to get a lot stronger and establish himself more if he's going to play big man on a 14th region team. Right now boys not near his size are moving him anywhere they want and he's scoring about 2 points per game. He kicks the ball back out most times or takes a low percentage shot from 10 feet.

:thumb: Thanks

Didnt the Smith kid have big numbers in the win againest Leslie?

When was Lee County's last 20 win season?

I'm not totally sure, but I would think it would have been 1984. That's the year that they had what I thought was the best team in the region, but they were upset by Dilce Combs (a team they had crushed by close to 30 twice that season) in the first round of the region at Knott Central. That team had 6'8 Jeff Ginnan, who later played at UK as a walk on, Emery Crawford and Dean Noe, two great shooters (if there had been a 3 point shot back then it's untelling what their averages would have been), and 6'4 Mike Newman, who was versatile enough to play the point guard position at times. I'm not sure of the 5th starter but I think his name was Blanton.

That was a really good Bobcat team, probably would have to be rated in the top 5 Lee County teams of all time. BTW, that might make a good thread.

Professor, I think tou are right about the year. 1984 team was one of the best ever for Lee, and the last I remember winning the Bobcats winning 20 games, and like you, I go back a while. The 5th starter was Mark Taylor, who was a real banger. Lee was really expacted to make some noise in the Sweet 16 that year, as they had played Bourbon County, the eventual State runner-up to what amounted to a draw at Bourbon County that year, before having one of the most disappointing losses (to Dilce Combs) in all my memory of high school basketball. Lee had a few more good teams after that, but I don't remember any 20 win years. The bottom really fell out in the early nineties for Lee, and really just now recovering. This is a little off thread, but I see some similarities at Owsley now, as to what happened at Lee. I hope it doesn't happen. A strong Lee-Owsley rivalry, and a 56th District with four nearly equal teams sure makes the long winter more tolerable, before we can get those sticks out again, right? Seriously, my friend, the folks at Owsley need to be real careful, and keep the situation there in check.

Professor, I think tou are right about the year. 1984 team was one of the best ever for Lee, and the last I remember winning the Bobcats winning 20 games, and like you, I go back a while. The 5th starter was Mark Taylor, who was a real banger. Lee was really expacted to make some noise in the Sweet 16 that year, as they had played Bourbon County, the eventual State runner-up to what amounted to a draw at Bourbon County that year, before having one of the most disappointing losses (to Dilce Combs) in all my memory of high school basketball. Lee had a few more good teams after that, but I don't remember any 20 win years. The bottom really fell out in the early nineties for Lee, and really just now recovering. This is a little off thread, but I see some similarities at Owsley now, as to what happened at Lee. I hope it doesn't happen. A strong Lee-Owsley rivalry, and a 56th District with four nearly equal teams sure makes the long winter more tolerable, before we can get those sticks out again, right? Seriously, my friend, the folks at Owsley need to be real careful, and keep the situation there in check.

I agree with your post 100%. Owsley has to be really careful right now and make the right moves, or there could be a hole created that it could take 5 or 6 years to climb out of. A strong 5th/6th grade and middle school program is a good start.

Smith may be shooting the highest percentage on the team and leading them in rebounding. A lot of his difficulties on defense may be caused by a lack of help in the interior and I'm not overlooking him next season.

Tyler Rich dominated inside and it was in large part because he worked so hard to 'front' his defender that it resulted in numerous fouls. Smith sat out a large part of the game and fouled out mid-way through the 4th. Again, without some interior help defense this will continue to cause problems.

K Brandenburg shot a high percentage from the arc to help offset the hot hand of Moore. J Liesegang also penetrated and crashed the boards to help limit Breathitt's offensive rebounding. Lees' entire team ran their offensive sets to exploit Breathitt's interior defense and was pretty patient and selective with their shots.

I agree with your post 100%. Owsley has to be really careful right now and make the right moves, or there could be a hole created that it could take 5 or 6 years to climb out of. A strong 5th/6th grade and middle school program is a good start.

Owsley's biggest loss was when Coach T Bobrowski (sp?) left the program. I don't know how long he was there, but he will be hard to replace.

Owsley's biggest loss was when Coach T Bobrowski (sp?) left the program. I don't know how long he was there, but he will be hard to replace.

I agree.

Tim Bobrowski was a great coach while at Owsley County. He is now a middle school principal in Breathitt County.

Here are his accomplishments at Owsley:

1996-- Record: 12-17. Runner-up in the district. Made the semifinals of the regional tournament.

1997--Record: 20-8. Went 6-0 in district play but lost in overtime in the district tournament to Wolfe at Wolfe County in the first round (in what I consider a very controversial game, but that's a personal opinion.)

1998--Record: 19-8. Runner-up in the All A tournament...lost by 5 to Hazard.

1999--Record: 21-11. Won the All A region. Won the district tournament. Semifinals of the regional tournament.

2000--Record: 24-7. Won the All A region. Semifinals of the All A state tournament. Won the district. Semifinals of the regional tournament (lost by 3 to KCC).

2001--Record: 21-7. Won the All A region. Runner-up in the district tournament. Lost by 6 to Wolfe in the finals. Lost to Breathitt in overtime in the region at Knott.

2002--Did not coach that year.

2003--18-9. Runner-up in the district. Lost by 5 to Powell in the finals. Lost to Perry Central in the region first round.

Bobrowski coached 7 years. His teams won 135 games and lost 67. That's a pretty good record for a school of 250 students. :thumb:

I agree.

Tim Bobrowski was a great coach while at Owsley County. He is now a middle school principal in Breathitt County.

Here are his accomplishments at Owsley:

1996-- Record: 12-17. Runner-up in the district. Made the semifinals of the regional tournament.

1997--Record: 20-8. Went 6-0 in district play but lost in overtime in the district tournament to Wolfe at Wolfe County in the first round (in what I consider a very controversial game, but that's a personal opinion.)

1998--Record: 19-8. Runner-up in the All A tournament...lost by 5 to Hazard.

1999--Record: 21-11. Won the All A region. Won the district tournament. Semifinals of the regional tournament.

2000--Record: 24-7. Won the All A region. Semifinals of the All A state tournament. Won the district. Semifinals of the regional tournament (lost by 3 to KCC).

2001--Record: 21-7. Won the All A region. Runner-up in the district tournament. Lost by 6 to Wolfe in the finals. Lost to Breathitt in overtime in the region at Knott.

2002--Did not coach that year.

2003--18-9. Runner-up in the district. Lost by 5 to Powell in the finals. Lost to Perry Central in the region first round.

Bobrowski coached 7 years. His teams won 135 games and lost 67. That's a pretty good record for a school of 250 students. :thumb:

What needs to be done to get Tim to return to the sidelines