How much better would the Bengals be...

Maybe my memory is foggy, but are the top 3 QB's from that draft class Cam Newton, Dalton, and Ponder? I'm sure many will disagree (since he can't hit the broad side of the barn), but I'd take Dalton over those three all day.

All. Day.

Dalton went 5th you left out Gabbert who sucks and Locker who Dalton is better than right now. However Kaepernick went the pick directly after Dalton which is why they are sometimes compared.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Bengals issues, I have much more of an issue with Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis driving the bus, than I do with Dalton at QB. Is Dalton a superstar? No. Can he be a very good NFL QB? I think he can. Is he good enough to overcome the afore mentioned issues? Not sure anyone is that good. I will be rooting for Dalton this Sunday to play well and bring home a win in what should be a tough game.

Ahem.

Speaking as a Vikings fan whose team hasn't been able to find a consistent quarterback in YEARS, I will add the following...

Stop. Just stop. You're all crazy people.

Don't like your QB? We'll trade you for Christian Ponder... straight up.

They wasted Pickens and now they're going to waste Green on this average joe.

How exactly are they wasting AJ Green? Dude had 97 catches with over 1300 yards and 11 TDs last season. Looks to have similar, if not better, numbers this season.

I'll ask, since you clearly think Dalton is terrible, what realistic option would you rather they go with?

But realistically, who would they replace him with?

EJ Manuel looks good so far, but he wasn't available at the position the Bengals drafted at this year, and moving up to get him would have probably costed Eifert and/or Bernard.

I'm guessing Carson Palmer wasn't an option on the free agent market.

Matt Flynn hasn't taken the starting job from a rookie and a second year player who didn't play much of his first season. Would you really rather have him than Dalton considering what you would have to give up to make the upgrade?

Kevin Kolb? No thanks if I'm a Bengals fan.

They have put a system quarterback in place, surrounded him with a "thunder and lightning" duo at running back, two capable tight ends whose abilities are distinct enough to complement one another (an emerging trend in the NFL... and one that made the Patriots so dangerous until Hernandez gets arrested for murder), a stud WR whose one of the top 5 at his position, and underrated but solid #2 in Sanu. Plenty of teams would love to have the offensive skill positions that the Bengals have.

Looking at offensive balance in the NFL, they aren't on the top tier, but they are somewhere between there and teams I’d put on the next tier.

Top tier: Broncos, Saints, Falcons, Texans, Patriots, Colts (following a gift trade).

Second tier: Cowboys (arguably better, depending on health), Philadelphia (arguable), Tampa Bay (very arguable).

Ahem.

Speaking as a Vikings fan whose team hasn't been able to find a consistent quarterback in YEARS, I will add the following...

Stop. Just stop. You're all crazy people.

Don't like your QB? We'll trade you for Christian Ponder... straight up.

:laugh:

I never understood that draft choice, especially given his history of arm/shoulder problems and age.

But realistically, who would they replace him with?

EJ Manuel looks good so far, but he wasn't available at the position the Bengals drafted at this year, and moving up to get him would have probably costed Eifert and/or Bernard.

I'm guessing Carson Palmer wasn't an option on the free agent market.

Matt Flynn hasn't taken the starting job from a rookie and a second year player who didn't play much of his first season. Would you really rather have him than Dalton considering what you would have to give up to make the upgrade?

Kevin Kolb? No thanks if I'm a Bengals fan.

They have put a system quarterback in place, surrounded him with a "thunder and lightning" duo at running back, two capable tight ends whose abilities are distinct enough to complement one another (an emerging trend in the NFL... and one that made the Patriots so dangerous until Hernandez gets arrested for murder), a stud WR whose one of the top 5 at his position, and underrated but solid #2 in Sanu. Plenty of teams would love to have the offensive skill positions that the Bengals have.

Looking at offensive balance in the NFL, they aren't on the top tier, but they are somewhere between there and teams I’d put on the next tier.

Top tier: Broncos, Saints, Falcons, Texans, Patriots, Colts (following a gift trade).

Second tier: Cowboys (arguably better, depending on health), Philadelphia (arguable), Tampa Bay (very arguable).

I don't disagree that their wasn't a better option this year. I would look at drafting a better option in the next draft if Dalton doesn't take a big leap this year. It doesn't matter really if it's accuracy or lack of a big arm he isn't elite and they won't win big without an elite coach or an elite QB. They probably aren't changing coaches either. I don't think Cutler is a top 5 type QB but if he becomes available in the off season I would look at him strongly. He has a top notch arm.

I don't disagree that their wasn't a better option this year. I would look at drafting a better option in the next draft if Dalton doesn't take a big leap this year. It doesn't matter really if it's accuracy or lack of a big arm he isn't elite and they won't win big without an elite coach or an elite QB. They probably aren't changing coaches either. I don't think Cutler is a top 5 type QB but if he becomes available in the off season I would look at him strongly. He has a top notch arm.

I don't think you can do that though. They really don't have many weaknesses. DB and MLB are about the only ones I see. Not sure you can throw aside the talent they have everywhere else and essentially rebuild.

Now, if you're saying draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round and hope in a couple years he's your guy, I'm fine with it. Can't justify spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a QB though.

Dalton may not be a superstar QB but he is the type of QB you can win with. People say game manager, but I think he is a better QB than just a game manager. As a Cowboys fan I would probably give you guys Romo for Dalton straight up. Sometimes you don't need to be flashy or put up big numbers to win a super bowl. I mean the Ravens have won two of them with similar QB's (Dilfer/Flacco).

If Dalton is considered one of the better qb's to play at the professional level, then this doesn't say much about the talent pool of qb's coming out of the college ranks. This joker threw more balls into the sidelines and stands than on the field. I've seen qb's at the high school level that were more precise with their targets than this guy. Just another mediocre Kitna type qb to satisfy the majority of "Billy Bengal" fans out there.

I don't think you can do that though. They really don't have many weaknesses. DB and MLB are about the only ones I see. Not sure you can throw aside the talent they have everywhere else and essentially rebuild.

Now, if you're saying draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round and hope in a couple years he's your guy, I'm fine with it. Can't justify spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a QB though.

Who rebuilds now with a QB in the draft? There are plenty of QB's who are rookies or 2nd year players that compete for titles now. Last year Kaep and Wilson had no issues taking talented teams far. RG3 and Luck took terrible teams from the year before to the playoffs. Rebuilds are for teams with bad rosters. Bengals have a great roster but need a better QB IMO. Or a better coach. I think Dalton and a great coach could really compete too.