Two Platoon Football, Pros and Cons

OLD RAIDER

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros to Platooning

1. Players in games are more rested which can pay big dividends in the 2nd half

2. #1 Offense gets to go against #1 defense in practice which can only make both better

3. Players can concentrate on one position which can only help develop that player into a better player at that position

4. More players will get to play

Cons to platooning

1. Player may not be playing at his best position or where the team needs him most

2. If you don't have enough athletes to successfully play their positions but play them anyway the team can suffer

3. Players getting tired and worn down which can add to injuries

I want to explain #1 on the con a little bit more. I will use Boone County as an example. They have 2 players I believe are playing out of position due to the platooning.

I believe they have their best athlete who is a much better defensive back not playing that position because their starting QB got hurt before the season so they moved him to QB where he is clearly not a QB but because of being such a great athlete he can help the team at QB. They also have one of the best RB's in the area imo but have him playing LB. Now in Boone Co's defense, they have a new head coach who didn't know the players he had when he got here and wanting to put a platoon system into place which I think is a great idea if you have the numbers and athletes to do it, but it will take a couple years until I think they start becoming successful.

Cons to platooning

3. Players getting tired and worn down which can add to injuries

I'm not understanding this point. Players are playing a lot less snaps not going both ways. Less time on the field, I would think equals fresher players, and less injuries.

WHEN YOU MAKE THE DECISION TO GO TO 2 PLATOON FOOTBALL, WHERE DO YOU POSITION YOUR BEST PLAYERS, OFFENSE OR DEFENSE ?

WHAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE 22 QUALITY ATHLETES ? WHERE DO YOU PLAY THE LESS TALENTED PLAYERS?

If you've got the # of kids to do it, then I see no cons to platooning at all. Maximizing practice time being the most beneficial.

If you have a qualified staff, they will put that player in the position that will most benefit the team and the player

I'm not understanding this point. Players are playing a lot less snaps not going both ways. Less time on the field, I would think equals fresher players, and less injuries.

You are right, I meant to say with platooning players aren't as tired therefor won't lead itself to a player suseptiple to getting injured as much.

The development of enough numbers at younger ages to play platoon-football clearly gives an advantage to a team and has proven, with evidence, to be successful. There are innumerable "pros," to include decrease in fatigue and injury, development of isolated skill-sets, more one-on-one coaching instruction, iron-sharpens-iron in practice, better game and film preparation, just to name a few. The only cons that occur to me are that is contributes to the pigeon-holing of players at earlier ages by coaches at the high school level whom, frankly, are not adept at adjudging skill level or the best positions for players.

Zero cons to it, all pros. Of course all schools can't do it, they may not have enough players to pull it off. If a team tries to do it but can't because they don't have the numbers, that's not the fault of the platooning system, that's a lack of players/bad coaching decision. There is no question to me, if a school has the numbers to do it, they are FAR better off platooning than not, unquestionably.

I'm going to let the cat out of the bag on platooning, with the understanding that most people won't believe it or will just choose not to do it. A school cannot wait till they have the numbers. You have to platoon before you are "ready" or it will not happen. All 5a and 6a schools should be platooning within 1 or 2 years of a coach taking over. Many successful programs at smaller schools can also platoon. Ex. Highlands. Once you platoon your numbers will be there.

If a younger player believes he can, with some effort, start at 1 of 22 different positions, he will stay with the program. If that same player is only looking at 11 positions, and thinks without much more effort he will likely to be a reserve, he will likely quit. Not necessarily the attitude you want, but nevertheless there IS a mental calculation made by these players between level of effort put in vs. likelihood of playing time.

I'm going to let the cat out of the bag on platooning, with the understanding that most people won't believe it or will just choose not to do it. A school cannot wait till they have the numbers. You have to platoon before you are "ready" or it will not happen. All 5a and 6a schools should be platooning within 1 or 2 years of a coach taking over. Many successful programs at smaller schools can also platoon. Ex. Highlands. Once you platoon your numbers will be there.

Agree 1000%. Cov Cath is all platoon as well. That's not to say that in the past they haven't used an athletic lineman or LB as an up back or addl o lineman in spot situations at the goal line. But heck- some D1 colleges do that too.

Boone County fans take note. 2013 is the transition/development year. It will get better as the season goes on and even better next year.

The only con I see is as a parent, you don't get to see your child do well on both sides of the ball. As an example, a young man from a NKY school got lots of credit for being a 'crucial' piece to his teams success last year. He was a RB/LB. He gained a ton of yards and publicity for his offensive exploits. Other kids that platoon may be a safety, corner or LB and not get as much or any glory. Let's face it, if your kid plays O, they can get their name in the paper. If you play D or Specials, you get ignored.

I'd rather platoon and win games.