Two Platoon Football, Pros and Cons

OLD RAIDER

Your starting defense would practice against you starting offense, increasing quality reps for both due to the fact they are both playing against starters not a scout team.

So, you do not go team vs. scout team? That was what I was wondering. An example would be if you are going against a team that runs nothing like what you run, do you have you 1st team running the scout team to simulate?

I will ask like this....who does HHS use to simulate Johnson Centrals offense when preparing to play them?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously there are some excellent benefits to platooning; however, I think there are certain key players that should be on the field more than just offense or defense. I am not saying those individuals should be on the field for every play, but I certainly think if you have a stud or two, using them in key situations on both sides of the ball will help your team. Case in point, it sure didn't hurt us to maximize Austin Collinsworths number of plays in that game against St. X a few years back.

I know I am not drinking the blue Kool-Aid with this post or line of thought.

Dont you need a minimum of 44 players? If not then your 1st team is also your scout team or am I missing something on how they run practice?

Your starting defense would practice against you starting offense, increasing quality reps for both due to the fact they are both playing against starters not a scout team.

So, you do not go team vs. scout team? That was what I was wondering. An example would be if you are going against a team that runs nothing like what you run, do you have you 1st team running the scout team to simulate?

I will ask like this....who does HHS use to simulate Johnson Centrals offense when preparing to play them?

Preseason practices you will see a team like HHS have team sessions where the #1 Offense goes against the #1 Defense. This is very common.

In season it is much different. HHS does have a scout offense and a scout defense. The question about do you need 44 to effectively two platoon is valid. You need at least 44 to have scout teams. The number needed at HHS is much higher and therefore many more kids getting practice reps and keeping involved throughout the practice. HHS has 20 kids that would run #1 Offense against a scout defense, and about 20 kids that would alternate in with #1 Defense to practice against a scout offense.

The system is working great. Depth is a strength.

If I'm in contention to win state, I do what I can.

If I'm having a down year anyway, I build for the next year.

I realize there is lots of grey area in between though.

How about in position to win the district? or a playoff game? Do you tank the season because the state championship is not in the picture? There is a lot of grey area...I agree with your second point, if you are down you play young. But I believe if you have a chance to win games and potential playoff games, you put your best on the field and condition your team to win ball games.

I think Harlan County got a lesson in the significance of platooning this past weekend.

Belfry is not a two platoon team, but they have very few starters going both ways.. and the majority of those guys get spelled pretty frequently by reserves. HC, OTOH, had 5 or 6 guys playing both ways and on Special Teams. Cole Wilson played offense, defense, punted, and place kicked. When he went down with an injury Harlan County suddenly felt an impact in every aspect of the game. Secondarily, Belfry's constant rotation of players along the Lines and in their backfield made them considerably stronger in the 2nd Half.

Belfry was the smaller school and by and large was the smaller team, but the end result was a dominating 2nd Half and a Pirate backfield putting up numbers that the Black bear faithful were shocked by. If HC intends to compete for a State Title it is obvious they have to play less guys both ways and find dedicated Special Teams players.

THE POINT STILL BECOMES, IF YOU HAVE TO HIDE A PLAYER THAT IS JUST NOT QUITE GOOD ENOUGH, WHERE DO YOU HIDE HIM OFFENSE OR DEFENSE?

Wide Receiver

Even if he isn't a threat the Defense still has to honor him every play, limit the risk of the impact of a missed block or assignment, and if you are really feeling froggy and the opponent is playing Man Defense you can run him on fly patterns one after another..then sub for him and do the same... until their DB is exhausted

The question was also raised what side of the ball do you put your best players? I would probably put them on defense. If the other team can't score enough or move the ball then you will win the field position battle during the game and have shorter fields. The probablity to score then becomes greater with the shorter field. Your best players on defense will also cause more turnovers and you will get some points defensively, also. If I had a true D-1 stud, I would play him on Defense and use him for a few targeted plays on offense when the opportunity looks favorable, especially if he is a skill player, a lineman the same targeted plays on 3rd and 4th short or goal line.

One advantage to NOT platooning...recruiting film. Colleges like to see versatility in a player. The more oppertunities you have to get a kid on film making plays and displaying a range of athletic capabilities, the better his chances for catching a recruiter's eye.

That said, I am an advocate of platooning.

ok, so you want to 2 platoon, but don't really have 22 quality players yet. Where to you hide them while they are learning and gathering experience?

Offense ?, Defense ?, Kicking Game?

I wouldn't say "Hide" them, I would say "develop" them. You have to adopt a quality Spring Football practice to give them a head start. Then make them the best at their position that they can be though 7 on 7 competition and practice. I would also say, you have to perform a very honest assessment of where every player needs to be to make the team better (Is your third best RB really better off being a RB, or can he contribute better as a LB).

As for the Kicking Game, I am a big proponent of using starters on special teams, not back-ups. But, that's just me.

Starters on special teams past a few kids that just have a knack for it and trust me there are players that won't start but are great special teamers. As far as not having 22 kids that can or should start it comes down to development. If that's all that kid works on then he should be able to handle himself.