Your Top 15 Teams in Kentucky, Regardless of Class

JokersWild24

The point I am making though is Caldwell County is returning players and meeting expectations from a team who was the runner-ups in a weak 2A Class. They also have played a cupcake schedule with the exception of a mediocre Christian County. You are definitely entitled to your opinion, I am just stating that based off the quality of where Caldwell County was at the end of last season they were not a Top 15 team... probably not even a Top 30 team in KY regardless of class.. and frankly with the weak schedule they play the only bonafide Top 25 caliber team they will see is Mayfield. If Belfry dropped to 2A the fans would be talking dynatsy with what they have this year and the next 3-4 years coming up with retrospect to the quality of program Belfry has evolved to.

If Belfry had opened with Ohio County, Union County, and Christian County and only had Mayfield to really compete against I am sure Belfry fans would clamor they expect Belfry to roll to a 10-0 season, 9-1 worst case (in fact they would actually be quite upset with that schedule knowing what Central's schedule would look like by comparison). For the level of play that Belfry has to compete at (which IMHO is Top 15-Top 20) expectations and self analysis are a bit different. Caldwell is not at that level (and to win a 2A Title don't have to be), so they can get by with a softer schedule and expectations that are steered a different way.

Not trying to come off as preachy...enjoy the banter actually... hope you get what my point is.

You're not. I understand your point completely. I'm not saying Caldwell County is better than Belfry. All I am saying is that they have lived up to their preseason hype so far and that is why I had them ranked where they were. The Belfry preseason hype was tempered so while their win over Harlan County builds their résumé the preseason hype, or lack thereof, for Belfry this year is why I ranked them below Caldwell County.

I'm only claiming to be correct on the #1 team in the state. :D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little over-sensitive here....with two threads of bragging/arguing the Trinty v. BG as #1 and one HHS fan throws them in the hopper as a #2 and all of the sudden "their fans have to include them in everything" ? I thought this thread was a discussion on the top 15 teams.....I'm pretty sure HHS mention (by one fan) in this listing somewhere is warranted....don't you?

I personally would have T as #1 and BG as #2 but who really cares what I think anyway I'm not a "fan" of either one:rolleyes:

He's responding to the Highlands poster saying that any ranking that doesn't have Trinity at #1 and Highlands at #2 loses credibility. What is the proper response to that statement? I thought Avid Tiger's response was perfect.

The problem with most people on this site is that they do not believe that there are any football teams west of I-65 not named Bowling Green or Mayfield, and BG is maybe 2 miles from that border. Caldwell County is playing the schedule that they have in front of them. They had contracts with a lot of those schools for return games and other schools would not play Caldwell County, as they did not want what happened to John Hardin and Warren Central by DeSales, to happen to them. Fort Campbell is a strong opponent most years, Green County is a top 10 team in 2A, and Murray High is never a cupcake, but any team that has very little or no passing game will be beat up by Caldwell County's stronger than expected defense, and then that team's defense had best be strong, fast, and tall in order to not be put on a running clock by these young Tigers. The Tigers of Caldwell County deserve to be ranked in the top 20 in the state, if not the top 15, right now as they have done nothing but back up their preseason hype.

The problem with most people on this site is that they do not believe that there are any football teams west of I-65 not named Bowling Green or Mayfield, and BG is maybe 2 miles from that border. Caldwell County is playing the schedule that they have in front of them. They had contracts with a lot of those schools for return games and other schools would not play Caldwell County, as they did not want what happened to John Hardin and Warren Central by DeSales, to happen to them. Fort Campbell is a strong opponent most years, Green County is a top 10 team in 2A, and Murray High is never a cupcake, but any team that has very little or no passing game will be beat up by Caldwell County's stronger than expected defense, and then that team's defense had best be strong, fast, and tall in order to not be put on a running clock by these young Tigers. The Tigers of Caldwell County deserve to be ranked in the top 20 in the state, if not the top 15, right now as they have done nothing but back up their preseason hype.

Actually BG is right in that border. And I pretty much agree with your point. It's just the nature of the beast. There are very few people on this forum from west of I65, I learned along time ago that when it came to threads like this don't expect much, if any, mention of west teams. It is what it is.

Why do the highlands fans have to include their team in everything. The T folk have been modest from what I've seen and said they're not number 1 this season this moment in time, however you choose to phrase it. The Highlands fans always have to include themselves in some fashion and then try to support the claims by using their and T's history as reason. Highlands nor T is no. 1 in the state. Bowling green is the best team in the state at this point, deal with it. Fwiw I can deal with my team maybe not being a top 5 team In the state at this point in time.

At the time of this post ONE Highlands fan had posted in a thread on the top 15 teams. What's your problem?

Back to the topic at hand. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the sky is falling on Poplar Level Road. St. Xavier is a good team who didn't play their best game. I can see how they would use their rushing attack to completely pulverize opponents. Once Bowling Green jumped on them by so many so quickly, that option was kind of thrown out the window though.

I think that in the wake of an emotional loss to a good Bowling Green squad, some people may be underselling St. Xavier. By the same token, I think that Bowling Green is going to be somewhat overrated for the next little bit.

That's just how things like this work following big-time games where tons of emotion is involved.

I still think Bowling Green is the best team in the state until someone proves otherwise though. The way someone could "prove otherwise", so to speak, would be to knock off Bowling Green and/or completely paste a healthy St. Xavier team.

Back to the topic at hand. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the sky is falling on Poplar Level Road. St. Xavier is a good team who didn't play their best game. I can see how they would use their rushing attack to completely pulverize opponents. Once Bowling Green jumped on them by so many so quickly, that option was kind of thrown out the window though.

I think that in the wake of an emotional loss to a good Bowling Green squad, some people may be underselling St. Xavier. By the same token, I think that Bowling Green is going to be somewhat overrated for the next little bit.

That's just how things like this work following big-time games where tons of emotion is involved.

I still think Bowling Green is the best team in the state until someone proves otherwise though. The way someone could "prove otherwise", so to speak, would be to knock off Bowling Green and/or completely paste a healthy St. Xavier team.

You can't overrate greatness. You said yourself you think they are the best team in the state. How can they be the best and overrated?

Did you see the post at hand? That's the problem.

I have no problem with it. This early in the season we don't know how good these teams are. I've said I wouldn't argue with someone who has BG first. However, I also wouldn't argue If someone has T first and HHS second. We don't know how good the teams those 3 have played will end up.

I have no problem with it. This early in the season we don't know how good these teams are. I've said I wouldn't argue with someone who has BG first. However, I also wouldn't argue If someone has T first and HHS second. We don't know how good the teams those 3 have played will end up.

And you're still leaving out what set non Highlands fans off so much. You want Highlands and Trinity first and second. That's cool. Once you start saying stuff like," you lose credibility if you don't have Trinity and Highlands #1 and #2" then yeah, people will get pissed off and respond. He was the first person to not have BG #1 or #2 so he is basically saying nobody has credibility but him. And you are saying his elitist comment doesn't deserve response? Whatever. I'll attack that everyday all day. Differing opinions is one thing. Elitist comments are a whole other ball game. We can handle that too though.

No way Scott Co. Gets ranked ahead of Highlands. Birds beat the Cards like 66-28 last yr. and Highlands did not get worse. Now, if Scott Co. improved that much in the offseason then I would be shocked.

Or Scott County got down early and had to abandon their game plan, but showed the way they were capable of playing in the playoffs, particularly in the Trinity game. The Highlands game was actually 60-37, and it came in a game at Fort Thomas Highlands, and was only the second game of the season. The Trinity game was much higher stakes seeing as it was in the state semi-final, and that contest was played in Louisville.

What would Scott County really gain by pulling out all the stops and forcing their hand to win a road game against an opponent who isn't in their class? To me, the answer is much less than Highlands, who wouldn't face a team the caliber of Scott County in their classification's playoffs.

Further, Scott County didn't lose their starting quarterback and more this past offseason. They returned their Mr. Football candidate in Scott Daniel as well.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I could see Scott County beating Highlands in a head-to-head game at a neutral site.

Even if they didn't beat them in a head-to-head contest, that still isn't a way to say that they should, with 100% certainty, be ranked ahead of them. Of course, it is a very, very good indication. Consider this scenario though: what if the two played a close game, but because of style of play and chemistry of the teams, it was apparent that Scott County would be more likely to beat more of the teams ranked ahead of each?

Just food for thought. Discussion is good and I could sit and do this all day (this is, after all, what this site is about). Reasonable minds can certainly differ. I just don't think it's that far-fetched to think that Scott County could knock off Highlands. We won't get an answer to this unless one of the two loses some games they aren't expected to, as I think it would be hard to glean very much from Bryan Station, their only common opponent.

FWIW, I would go something like this:

1. Bowling Green

2. Trinity

3. Highlands

4. Scott County

5. St. Xavier

6. Simon Kenton

7. Male

8. Boyle County

9. Central

10. Collins

11. Conner