The Read Option: Is This The Year Defenses Catch On?

The NFL is an evolving sport and I think that teams eventually adapt to all the changes to offset them. I think as long as offenses use it as part of a actually plan instead of a gimmick that it can work but they have to be creative.

Speed is a lot faster in the NFL than college so teams have to modify these option plays for them to work.

I believe that teams actually give up on this stuff too easily.

The NFL is an evolving sport and I think that teams eventually adapt to all the changes to offset them. I think as long as offenses use it as part of a actually plan instead of a gimmick that it can work but they have to be creative.

Speed is a lot faster in the NFL than college so teams have to modify these option plays for them to work.

I believe that teams actually give up on this stuff too easily.

Yea... Part of why I think teams will be more hesitant to us it is the conversation that was started between Clay Matthews and Harbaugh when they were talking about an interpretation of when a QB "gives himself up" as a runner and doesn't get the same protection as other QBs.

I think it gets slowed this year, then more or less completely shut down in the span of the following two years (with very limited exceptions). Thoughts?

I agree with your train of thought completely. Much like the Wildcat a few years ago, the first year the Dolphins did it they worked it to perfection. The next year everyone was looking for a Wildcat option to try, nearly all of which was unsuccessful. Now it is nearly extinct already.

It is great to have a QB that is multi-dimensional and that can make things happen, but you just can't have those guys getting lit up on every other play.

QBs will take a lot more hits, but it's not like a classic drop back passer is going to be shoe-horned into this system. It really will come down to what people run, just like the 3-4 of 4-3 defensive end. Two totally different types of players. I do believe that it depends on how the passing game evolves off of it. If it evolves beyond play-action based, then it'll stay. However, I don't believe that you will see Option/Read QBs getting huge contract extensions. Just like Junkie said, if it becomes a team's predominant run play, QBs who can't consistently throw will wash out around the age of 30. Guys like Russell Wilson and RGIII, I believe, can develop into drop back only type guys, like Donovan McNab at the end of his career. The other guys will be like Mike Vick, brilliant one week, atrocious the next, and injured often.

I agree with your train of thought completely. Much like the Wildcat a few years ago, the first year the Dolphins did it they worked it to perfection. The next year everyone was looking for a Wildcat option to try, nearly all of which was unsuccessful. Now it is nearly extinct already.

It is great to have a QB that is multi-dimensional and that can make things happen, but you just can't have those guys getting lit up on every other play.

It actually seems to me like more teams are adding the wildcat to their playbook and keeping a player on the roster to run it. The Bengals kept Johnson over Skelton for this very reason IMO. Other teams are doing the same, looking for that mobile QB or keeping a roster player to run wildcat.

It actually seems to me like more teams are adding the wildcat to their playbook and keeping a player on the roster to run it. The Bengals kept Johnson over Skelton for this very reason IMO. Other teams are doing the same, looking for that mobile QB or keeping a roster player to run wildcat.

Sorry, you've lost me, are you interchanging the terms "mobile QB" and "Wildcat"? Every team used to be looking for the next Brad Smith, now Brad himself gets cut early. Teams aren't taking the QB's out of the game like they used to with near the regularity to bring in a wildcat guy. Mobile QB's have nothing to do with the wildcat, it was based on having a WR or RB (Ronnie Brown) take snaps and adding in an extra blocker. You hardly ever see that anymore.

Additionally, they kept Johnson over Skelton partially because he can make plays with his legs, but more so because Skelton couldn't grasp the play-book. Dude was a punch-line every episode for his lack of grasp and Joe Reedy told me they couldn't be that he was unable to keep the plays / calls straight. Especially for a Fordham grad. :jump:

Scrambling running QB's will always be dangerous, but the option portion of this will go away in a short time frame. NFL Defenses are too fast and too smart for this to be a teams bread and butter. Teams my throw in a play every once in awhile but after this season I think actual Read-option plays will drop dramatically.

There is a reason that the Veer and Wishbone never caught on in the NFL.

I don't think they stop it. I think it is here to stay. If you package plays you rarely have to run your QB and when you do its because there is a huge gap in the defense. Not too many Peyton Mannings or Tom Bradys coming out of college right now.

Scrambling running QB's will always be dangerous, but the option portion of this will go away in a short time frame. NFL Defenses are too fast and too smart for this to be a teams bread and butter. Teams my throw in a play every once in awhile but after this season I think actual Read-option plays will drop dramatically.

There is a reason that the Veer and Wishbone never caught on in the NFL.

The Veer and Wishbone never had any legitimacy in the passing game. With guys like Kaepernick, RGIII, Wilson, Newton and so on the threat to throw is very real. DEs have to legitimately respect all three options and can't just simply crash an imaginary spot on the field so they will continue to be frozen more often than not as the QB position continues to evolve.

Far too many guys can ride and read, keep it and attack the weak side or sit in the pocket and throw for 300 yards and 4 TDs. The offense will continue to evolve, but as long as there are guys with both the athleticism and an arm than can deliver on time and on target the read option isn't going anywhere...

The read option is not new. The Oilers with Mouse Davis ran it in the 80's. You just have to have the right QB that can use his legs and throw from the pocket. More colleges are using it due to better athletes who can throw. The NFL will make you throw from the pocket eventually. Kaepernick can throw, RGIII can throw, Can can throw. Up tempo thrown in is what takes it to another dimension. Up tempo was used by the Bills and Bengals in the late 80's mid 90's, but not the read option with it. Manning and Brady have always used it. NFL DC's will catch up. There is so much of it, though, it will have to stay because both offensively and defensively it changes personnel needs and teams have built their teams to use or defend it. You have to have at least 3 good corners and many times 4. It is taking traditional linebacker play out of the game.