First Album/CD You Ever Purchased?

Clyde

First album given to me:

Snoopy & His Friends, by the Royal Guardsmen (1967)

First purchased by me (2 at the same time)

Best of the Guess Who, by Guess Who (1971) &

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, by Iron Butterfly (1971)

So very cool. My sister had the Iron Butterfly Live w/ the extended play "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" with the grooviest album cover ever. I was like 7 or 8 and would listen to it over and over and try to memorize the drum solo. Could sit forever looking at the cover to see every detail on it. I'm pulling out my disc of it right this minute to play it and relive all the grooviness. :thumb:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of one of my all-time favorite songs:

Great song! Great vocals! Great Energy!

I find it interesting that outside of an organ that comes in at the 2:19 mark, the only instrumentation in this song are drums, bass, and hand claps. I don't think I can detect a 6 string guitar at all in the mix. The vocals carry this song so wonderfully with the groovy back beat rhythm.

FWIW:

Something else in the trivia department that I find interesting. This song was written by John Ellison and first released in 1967 by the Soul Brothers Six. Coincidentally, songwriters Carole King and one time King's husband, Gerry Goffin also wrote an UNRELATED song named "Some Kind Of Wonderful" originally released in 1961 by the Drifters. That song writing duo of King & Goffin also wrote Little Eva's 1962 number 1 song "The Loco-Motion, which Grandfunk Railroad had a Todd Rundgren produced number 1 hit with in 1974.

Of one of my all-time favorite songs:

This song got me thinking about another tune from the same era and genre. Rare Earth's "I Just Want To Celebrate". I think this song means more to me now than it did way back when. The words are right on. The lead singer and drummer Peter Rivera is nearly 70 now but has not lost any of his voice or drumming energy. I understand that he played in 2012 at the NIBROC festival in Corbin, Ky. Would have loved to have checked that out.

This video is so groovy. If you manage to hang with it, it's pretty much fun to watch him work the audience.

I'm 32. I have no particular reason why...but I'd always pinned you to be 10-15 years older than I.

My wonderful knowledge and amazing brain power make me seem older haha

"KentuckyJoe" just sounds like someone older. Not sure why.