Kentucky vs. Florida; What's at stake?

Miller On Sports: University Christian (UC) High School Football Team to be Featured On ESPNU - Jacksonville, Florida

Here is an interview with the head coach of UC

Well, it was BIG news yesterday, that UC will play on ESPNU on August 24th. The game is against Highlands, which is in Kentucky. When did you first hear about this game? Was it a phone call? Was it an email? Or was it something else?

Well, I went to college in Georgetown, Kentucky, and I had a roommate named T.J. Kramer. He went to Highlands. When we were in college, we'd talk football and Highlands. Highlands was really good back then. I had mentioned that I was looking for a game up there so I could visit my old college and have our team play a really good team. It was Georgetown's Coach Mueller that called me. They were looking for a game, so we put our schedules together and made it happen. We scheduled it for August 23rd at

7:30 p.m. After that, we contacted ESPNU and suggested they cover the game. They were interested, but did not take it. We just received a phone call this week from ESPNU saying they decided to carry the game, but that we'd have to move the game to Saturday, August 24th, at 3:30 p.m. They wanted to show it on that Skyline Classic Chili Bowl thing. Whatever it's called. So, that is how it came about.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story that was reported in the newspaper was that TJ Kramer, a former Highlands player, was a college roommate of University Christians' coach. As a result of this connection the game came into being. The story at least sounds at least reasonable.

What was NCC's connection to University Christian?

This game was going to be payed between NCC and university. Thought I posted that, unless you can't read good.....I'm sure HHS jumped in when it was discovered it could be on the Ocho. I'm sorry, espnu.

Edited by Randy Parker

The story that was reported in the newspaper was that TJ Kramer, a former Highlands player, was a college roommate of University Christians' coach. As a result of this connection the game came into being. The story at least sounds at least reasonable.

What was NCC's connection to University Christian?

From reading the post above, G'Town and Eddie Eviston's connection at G'town as a player????? :idunno:

Edited by Randy Parker

I'm in NKY and could care less about any other state including Ohio or what other states think about us. Especially after you hear how great Texas football is and last I checked the NFL hall of gamers this year weren't all from Texas.

You may not care, but I do and many others do. I worked in Ohio, and work for a Cincinnati company. It is a topic of conversation, and to be honest, I enjoy watching the GCL schools play one another or against Colerain. It is a level above anything that we have on our side of the river.

UC is a very small school with an enrollment of approx. 200 students. If Highlands doesn't win this game fairly easily, I think it will be understandably hard for us to expect anyone to respect KY football outside of Trinity. I don't think this game is gonna be close. Highlands should roll in this one.

This game was going to be payed between NCC and university. Thought I posted that, unless you can't read good.....I'm sure HHS jumped in when it was discovered it could be on the Ocho. I'm sorry, espnu.

So you are saying that UC was going to play NCC and now its Highlands.....thats a pretty big jump dont you think!

You may not care, but I do and many others do. I worked in Ohio, and work for a Cincinnati company. It is a topic of conversation, and to be honest, I enjoy watching the GCL schools play one another or against Colerain. It is a level above anything that we have on our side of the river.

Agree! If you live in NKY and don't get out to see some of the Ohio Football games you are missing out on some of the best high school football in the country.

UC is a very small school with an enrollment of approx. 200 students. If Highlands doesn't win this game fairly easily, I think it will be understandably hard for us to expect anyone to respect KY football outside of Trinity. I don't think this game is gonna be close. Highlands should roll in this one.

I agree that if they think that the UC and NCC game would be a good game and I dont know that for sure. If thats the truth then Highlands will roll in this one. No disrespect to NCC but not on the same playing field.

Do you think people in Fla really care about Ky high school football or vice versa?

I've traveled a lot and been to many different states and regions and never once have I heard a conversation about other states High school football unless it had to do with a movie.

I used to work with a St. Thomas Aquinas HS football alum. Played college ball at EKU. I actually asked him once whether or not Kentucky football was ever even mentioned where he was from. He said that, sure, Cincinnati St. X, Elder, Colerain, and Moeller were a bigger deal, but that everyone knew plenty about Trinity and Louisville St. X too, and that he had certainly heard about Highlands, Bowling Green, Cov Cath, and Boyle County before he moved to Kentucky.

From my understanding, UC is not your typical small school. It attracts a lot of very, very talented players. If I recall properly (and it might have changed) Florida's transfer rule is much more liberal than Kentucky's and as a result, UC gets a lot of players that transfer to UC their junior and senior years. I'm trying to get more info about the school from my college roommate whom now resides in Jax.

From my understanding, UC is not your typical small school. It attracts a lot of very, very talented players. If I recall properly (and it might have changed) Florida's transfer rule is much more liberal than Kentucky's and as a result, UC gets a lot of players that transfer to UC their junior and senior years. I'm trying to get more info about the school from my college roommate whom now resides in Jax.

Even more liberal than what we are seeing now in KY?

Many think the Universtiy Christian/ Highlands game will be sparsely attended. Personally' date=' I see two general representations of the best that both States have to offer in regards to high school football and I think it will be the biggest game of the year. If the Birds win, will it give the Commonwealth street credibility in the eyes of our fellow Floridians? And if by chance the Birds lose, how will this reflect on Kentucky football as a whole. Keep in mind, Highlands represents the best that Kentucky has to offer and a beating at the hands of a 2A Florida school could be a blow to Kentucky's national perception as a quality high school football state.[/quote']

The Massey Ratings have University Christian of Jacksonville ranked #152 in Florida and #3352 nationally..... Highlands is playing a sacrificial lamb!

The hype is not deserved.. a win is of no benefit to Highlands... play Indianapolis Cathedral and Louisville St X for regional respect.