When you think KY top teams who comes to mind???

Two big differences between Highlands and T.

T has the National Title and Highlands has been winning State Titles since 1960.

T is a program that surfaced within the last 30 yrs as Highlands has been known for the last 60 yrs.

The older successful program like Highlands still competes with the New Era successful program like T.

They basically compliment each other and overall the National Title gets T the nod as top program in KY imo. Without the Natl Title Highlands is the team simply because of the longevity of the program...JMO

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They just did a special on A&E about legalizing marijuana...

Lighten up Francis. His list goes from larger schools to smaller. He wasn't slighting Highlands.

I love HHS' football program but for a team with unrivaled success you guys sure have a lot of thin skinned fans.

Trinity

Highlands

Bowling Green

St. X

Boyle County

Lexington Catholic

Covington Catholic

Mayfield

NCC

Beechwood

Warren Central

John Hardin

Central

Bell County

Somerset

Christian County

Belfry

When I think of top teams in Kentucky I think of these teams first and foremost.

Lighten up Francis. His list goes from larger schools to smaller. He wasn't slighting Highlands.

I love HHS' football program but for a team with unrivaled success you guys sure have a lot of thin skinned fans.

They are #1 and unrivaled in that as well. No comparison. No one in the state is even close. A league of their own. Mythical National Champs.

Ill bet if a household national poll was done people might be surprised that Highlands and Trinity are the household names across the USA when KY HS football comes to mind.

No disrespect to anyone else but that is nature of the beast, its all about National exposure, Highlands and T has it and its tough to find anyone else in KY with it.

The State Championships speak for themselves and T's National Title and Highlands National 3rd finish a few yrs ago might have something to do with it all.

The National TV exposure doesnt hurt either. :thumb:

Why would we be surprised about that? You guys remind us of that fact everyday. I think we'd be more surprised if you guys weren't the representatives of Ky football nationally.

They just did a special on A&E about legalizing marijuana...

Wow.

I smoked my share back in the day, but I still have enough functioning brain cells to see that this list goes from big school to small school.

Trinity

St. X

Scott County

Bowling Green

Highlands

Central

Bell County

Belfry

NCC

Mayfield

2 questions.

1) Why no Beechwood?

2) What does everyone see in Scott Co? Maybe my memory is fading but I just don't remember much in the way of state titles from them.

They are #1 and unrivaled in that as well. No comparison. No one in the state is even close. A league of their own. Mythical National Champs.

It's an area thing. Myself and my fellow NewCath fans are every bit as thin skinned.

It varies depending on definition and time... but if we are just going to generalize to a gut reaction and as a measure of the "it" programs over my lifetime. I think there are three distinct tiers:

Highlands

Trinity

St. X

Mayfield

Beechwood

Danville

Boyle County

Male

I consider these the "Bluebloods" of the Bluegrass. Boyle is the exception, who gets on the list by their merit over the past 10-15 years, but the other teams have been doing their thing at the highest level for decades.

Then I think there is a second tier of teams who may not have the name recognition, or may not have the consistency of title contention every year and/or playing at the elitest of levels. These are the teams you know will be good and a factor statewide every year, but just do not have that blueblood pedigree it seems:

Bowling Green

NewCath

Belfry

LexCath

Bell County

CovCath

Central

I consider these "banner" programs.

The Third Tier are programs who lack the consistency of the "banner programs", lack the titles of the "blue bloods", and are more subject to down years or the random "egg laying" rebuilding year. They have been consistently strong with more than their fair share of up years that make them recognizable:

Ft. Campbell

Breathitt County

Somerset

Paducah Tilghman

Ashland

Pikeville

Scott County

Manual

Russell

Murray

These are the "household name" programs.

Cumulatively I think this would comprise my Top 25 All-Time Programs

It's an area thing. Myself and my fellow NewCath fans are every bit as thin skinned.

I guess where I roll with Boyle County and Bowling Green I interact with Highlands Bluebirds more than NCC so I wouldn't know. I guess you'll be an NCC/Highlands hybrid at some point won't you?

Yeeessh.....:lol:

I guess where I roll with Boyle County and Bowling Green I interact with Highlands Bluebirds more than NCC so I wouldn't know. I guess you'll be an NCC/Highlands hybrid at some point won't you?

Yeeessh.....:lol:

Can't correct my daughter, she gets really upset.

It varies depending on definition and time... but if we are just going to generalize to a gut reaction and as a measure of the "it" programs over my lifetime. I think there are three distinct tiers:

Highlands

Trinity

St. X

Mayfield

Beechwood

Danville

Boyle County

Male

I consider these the "Bluebloods" of the Bluegrass. Boyle is the exception, who gets on the list by their merit over the past 10-15 years, but the other teams have been doing their thing at the highest level for decades.

Then I think there is a second tier of teams who may not have the name recognition, or may not have the consistency of title contention every year and/or playing at the elitest of levels. These are the teams you know will be good and a factor statewide every year, but just do not have that blueblood pedigree it seems:

Bowling Green

NewCath

Belfry

LexCath

Bell County

CovCath

Central

I consider these "banner" programs.

The Third Tier are programs who lack the consistency of the "banner programs", lack the titles of the "blue bloods", and are more subject to down years or the random "egg laying" rebuilding year. They have been consistently strong with more than their fair share of up years that make them recognizable:

Ft. Campbell

Breathitt County

Somerset

Paducah Tilghman

Ashland

Pikeville

Scott County

Manual

Russell

Murray

These are the "household name" programs.

Cumulatively I think this would comprise my Top 25 All-Time Programs

I may be biased but I consider Bowling Green a 'blue blood' of Ky high school football. One of the longest and most storied traditions in the state. I'm sure they are top 10 wins of All Time as well. I'd have them in the top tier before Boyle County without blinking.

PurpleHaze can speak to BG's history and their place much better than I can.

^^^

IMHO, and coming from someone from EKY, I cant list them with the other blue bloods. Certainly as I pointed out Boyle doesn't earn their distinction based on history..just recent history..but even then Bowling Green's historical laurels in my eyes are not of an elite program. With both of their State Titles in the recent era and the vast majority of their State Finals success coming from the 6 Class System it is hard for me to give that bump to the next level.

Bowling Green has One State Title and Only one State Runner-Up Pre-2000's. Obviously Boyle County doesn't have merits pre 2000's (only their Title in 1999 to begin their run).. but their success in the 2000's was one of the most dominant runs in KY History and has made them one of the premier names when you think of KY HS Football in it's current state. With that, the height of it was before the 6 Class System

FWIW, I think you put BG at the top of that second group and Boyle at the bottom of the first if you were asked to assign a position.