Bishop Brossart starting a football program

Dlbdonn

BigZig, do you honestly think I having nothing better to do than lay in ambush all day waiting for you? Not only in a smart aleck mood today, also feeling a little self important too I see (and I'm justing having fun with you by the way).

;) I would hope you had better things to do and am sure you do but you seem to be hanging on my every word today. Sort of making my head swell a bit. (I too am just having fun with you and some of my parochial pals) :cool:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeder schools are already defined and won't change. In fact IMO the entire diocese will be considered one school district for feeder purposes.

If your theory holds true, no problem. If it goes through as originally proposed, I don't see how NC is not affected.

I'm not sure what you mean by originally proposed but either way nothing changes for NCC.

Most of the talk about the initial proposal was that there would be defined feeder schools for each high school and if you chose to go to a different high school out you would have to sit for 2 years. IF (and I realize that's not final) that goes through, would that not keep a few kids from going to NC? Doesn't NC get kids today that would be considered BB kids based off of their grade school?

;) I would hope you had better things to do and am sure you do but you seem to be hanging on my every word today. Sort of making my head swell a bit. (I too am just having fun with you and some of my parochial pals) :cool:

I'll get back with you in re the above post. I'm busy right now. :banana:

Most of the talk about the initial proposal was that there would be defined feeder schools for each high school and if you chose to go to a different high school out you would have to sit for 2 years. IF (and I realize that's not final) that goes through, would that not keep a few kids from going to NC? Doesn't NC get kids today that would be considered BB kids based off of their grade school?

Any parish student in Campbell County can go to either private high school and not pay out of district tuition. The diocese has defined "primary service" parishes (their phrase not mine) but that does not limit a student to one choice.

Quick history lesson:

In the mid 80s the Diocese looked at the situation in Campbell County because of population trends and economics. (Move from urban to suburb.) What used to be NC's primary feeder schools (Corpus Christi, St. Francis, St. Stephen, St, Vincent (all in Newport), St, Anthony, Sacred Heart (in Bellevue), St. Bernard (Dayton) all eventually would be combined into one school today (Holy Trinity). Now primary feeder parish/schools are St. Therese, St. Thomas (used to feed St. Thomas High school that closed), St. Catherine along with Holy Trinity. St'Joe's Cold Spring, St. Phillip, St. P&P, St. Mary and St. Joe's Camp Springs are Brossart feeder parishes/schools. (Note those schools are larger than the NCC schools but the cross-over keeps both schools about the same size).

Anyway Diocese closed and merged OLP (all girls school) with NC. Shortly after that the Diocese considered merging NCC and Brossart together into what would be Campbell Catholic because of declining enrollment in both schools. The site for the new school would have been across from St. Joe's grade school in Cold Spring and now is houses and a Bob Evans.

That set people off. Brossart folks did not want to close because the area was growing quickly and so would the school most likely as more people moved to the area plus no one wants a school to close and lose tradition. NCC did not want to close because everyone is hard-headed about the family thing basically.

Once the diocese realized that the new school would not attract students from both schools (some say 50%, some say 75%) that idea died as it would today. In the meantime the diocese defined Primary service schools/parishes but fearing a backlash from families and parish hopping decided that all students in Campbell County would not pay out of district tuition because the idea is to get a Catholic education it does not matter where.

Use NCC's girls b-ball coach as an example. Went to St. Joe's, dad coached at NCC, whole family went to NCC, still a member of St. Joe's, so her kids aren't suppossed to go to NCC? There are still a substantial number of St. Joe parish students at NCC today.