My son is begging to see this. I am concerned because it is a PG13 and he is only 10 years old.

Thoughts???

No real violence. Some flirting between Jackie and his wife and Leo Durocher shown as a womanizer. However, very strong racist themes/language throughout. You will need to have a good discussion with him to explain discrimination as it existed then. The words used hit harder than traditional curse words IMO. This is not a "Field of Dreams" baseball movie, but it appears to be pretty realistic. What you decide should be based on your son's level of maturity. I would hate to see young people bring back some of the language used in this film.

No real violence. Some flirting between Jackie and his wife and Leo Durocher shown as a womanizer. However, very strong racist themes/language throughout. You will need to have a good discussion with him to explain discrimination as it existed then. The words used hit harder than traditional curse words IMO. This is not a "Field of Dreams" baseball movie, but it appears to be pretty realistic. What you decide should be based on your son's level of maturity. I would hate to see young people bring back some of the language used in this film.

I agree with this assessment. I liked the movie, but IMO it was not a great movie. Thought the language was very direct. Wonder how so many of the young people who were there Saturday nite, without parents, took to the language. If they go around repeating what they heard at the movie....... not going to be pretty. I was surprised, but thought it was good - that there were a number if funny one-liners throughout the film. Lightened it up when it needed it.

My wife and I saw it Friday night. My wife really liked it (but I knew she would considering she does not go to a lot of other movies). Harrison Ford was great. The actor who played Robinson was OK. I would have liked to seen the story cover more than just the couple years breaking through the color barrier. A series between the Dodgers and Reds at Crosley Field plays an important part in the movie. Was this area that racist back then? Wow. I stopped watching the main action during the Crosley Field scene and was reading the billboards in center field! Hudepohl Beer! Could not tell if they got the terrace right.

I've read that it may have not even occured in Cincinnati.

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed it. I feel like it should have dug deeper into the baseball part. They showed how good he was, but I didn't feel like it really showed how he was a heck if a good ball player. Harrison Ford was dead on Branch Rickey it was scary. I also felt like it only focused on a few parts of the issues he faced on the field racially. The Phillies were a big issue but not the only one. Glad I waited till I could rent it