Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

IS it me or College Basketball weak this season ?

Featured Replies

I think that's an excellent way to segue to a point I want to make: is the draft the best way to evaluate the talent level of a season?

 

Look at two players on Louisville's roster: Russ Smith and Chane Behanan. Russ is an elite scorer and defender who MIGHT get a look at the next level but that's only because he's garnered so much praise and national attention in the past few weeks. I would still say Smith having his name called by David Stern is a dubious proposition. Chane is the classic tweener forward, valuable in college and borderline in the league.

 

Neither of these two players are going to blow away any NBA scout, largely due to one attribute that they both lack- elite size. Does that make them less talented? I don't think it makes them less fun to watch, just less dominant. I think that's the difference, because a couple of inches is the only thing separating Russ Smith from being an absolute lock as a top 10 pick this year.

I don't think it is the best way but it is certainly one way to do it. What is the best way? I look at top teams last year compared to this year and almost all of them got worse... A LOT WORSE (outside of UL, IU and Duke).

 

Russ is now in the first round of some NBA mocks.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The post I quoted said "fans of unranked teams think league lacks talent"

 

I was simply adding that it isn't only fans of unranked teams who think that.

 

I think UK fans have shown in this thread that they're more likely to notice it or comment about it. All the Duke, Louisville and IU fans think the college game looks pretty healthy so far this year.

 

Russ is now in the first round of some NBA mocks.

Which is just a point that a UK fan will use to say how weak the draft is, so I'll beat them to it.

I guess there is no point in adding an opinion any more if you are a "UK fan" :idunno:

I guess there is no point in adding an opinion any more if you are a "UK fan" :idunno:
Dude, I was just making a joke about how a rival fan would take a chance to get a potshot in.
Dude, I was just making a joke about how a rival fan would take a chance to get a potshot in.

 

Both of your posts included "UK fan" so I wasn't sure.

 

Two years ago, when UK went to the Final Four, I thought it was a weak season for college bball. Does that diminish what they accomplished? Of course not.

 

Like someone said, if UK can't make the tournament in a bad year, it means we are REALLY bad.

 

How many of the top teams truly scare other teams? Louisville - Yes. Indiana - At home. Duke - Sometimes. After that, I can't find any others.

Parity. Calipari said on his radio show that there were about 40 teams with a good shot at the FF and about half of those had a ligitimate shot to win it all.

 

Talent level compared to the last couple of years is down for sure.

Both of your posts included "UK fan" so I wasn't sure.

 

Two years ago, when UK went to the Final Four, I thought it was a weak season for college bball. Does that diminish what they accomplished? Of course not.

 

Like someone said, if UK can't make the tournament in a bad year, it means we are REALLY bad.

 

How many of the top teams truly scare other teams? Louisville - Yes. Indiana - At home. Duke - Sometimes. After that, I can't find any others.

 

Maybe Kansas? They dominated Baylor last night; but it was at home.

Seems to me like we have this conversation every time about this time of year.

Seems to me like we have this conversation every time about this time of year.

 

It is a yearly trend. The NBA caliber players do not stay around for three-four years, it is just the reality of it. The best example is Butler. They went to two consecutive final games. Butler had nice teams both years, but a team of that caliber is not traditionally able to make that much noise... especially in consecutive seasons. UL is full of guys that are not projected to be top level NBA talent, but a mixture of some that will make rosters and valuable role players that have all hung around. Kudos to them and it clearly makes them one of the favorites when you consider the Freshman class is as bad as it is. IU is in the same situation. As is Duke. If people do not think that is being objective then they are not being objective about the this year's college landscape. Very similar to two seasons ago.

Which is just a point that a UK fan will use to say how weak the draft is, so I'll beat them to it.

 

And it is a valid point. Where do you see Russ Smith playing at the next level? Not many teams are looking for 6' shooting guards.

Parity. Calipari said on his radio show that there were about 40 teams with a good shot at the FF and about half of those had a ligitimate shot to win it all.

 

Talent level compared to the last couple of years is down for sure.

 

I'm remembering Calipari saying something similar last season, only he said about 12 teams could make the Final Four and a handful could win the title. Last year college basketball was more top-heavy, and they had one dominant team. This year there are numerous good teams, and lots of other teams just a notch below. There isn't, however, that one dominant team.

Even last year's UK team I would not put in the "dominating" category. They were great, do not get me wrong, but I never viewed them as all-time great. I guess they were dominating relative to their competition but I always viewed them as a great team in today's watered down college basketball product. When Cal says he wants to go undefeated at 40-0, I believe he knows that if you have the right combination of talent like last season, within today's college game it is more than attainable. If you get a generational player like LeBron I can see it happening.

 

How many of the top teams truly scare other teams? Louisville - Yes. Indiana - At home. Duke - Sometimes. After that, I can't find any others.

 

I'd say you are selling Michigan and Kansas short...

I'd say you are selling Michigan and Kansas short...

 

I'll say yes on Kansas, but Michigan doesn't seem scary to me. They seem to me a team that can beat you bad if shots are falling, but also a team that can look pedestrian when they don't hit from the outside. Of course you can also say that about numerous other teams.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.