Should college football players be paid a salary?

hoosierbirdfan

The "full ride " includes books, housing and tuition fees, but where do college football players get spending money? They are not allowed to have jobs, and some if not most,come from single parent low income housing. The bowl games alone bring in millions of dollars every year and the players don't get one penny of that money. The Wisconsin coach was going to get a 5o,ooo dollar bonus just for winning the rose bowl.College player rep, Dr. Gary Argovich thinks the players should be paid. I would also like to add ,that a full ride scholly is based on the player staying out of trouble, keeping their grades up and making the team every year, so the full ride is not a given for four years, but renewed every year. Your thoughts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salary, no. Should they get more spending money, sure, don't see a problem with that. However anyone who thinks a free college education isn't compensation of some kind needs to talk to the millions of college graduates that start their careers thousands of dollars in debt. No one is forcing any college athlete to play sports. They are more then welcome to not play and pay for college like the majority of other college students. Do the schools make millions on these players, sure. But unless I'm wrong most school's athletic programs lose money every year.

They should get spending money of some type but not a salary. The 4 year value of a scholarship to Notre Dame is $200,000. Pretty good wages I would say, particularly when it's tax free. Person would have to make around $300,000 to net that.

They should get spending money of some type but not a salary. The 4 year value of a scholarship to Notre Dame is $200,000. Pretty good wages I would say, particularly when it's tax free. Person would have to make around $300,000 to net that.
It would cost close to $100,000 to go to UK for non residents.

No. Student-athletes who come from need based families can qualify for up to $5,500 in the pell grant above that full ride scholarship. Plus if they are pell grant eligible they can receive a $500 yearly clothing allowance. Not to mention all the other benefits that athletes are provided that normal students aren't.

I believe they also get a stipend for laundry and other noncovered expenses that is in the hundreds of dollars monthly. If you are low income you could potentially have all expenses paid plus $500/month year round and $5500 Pell grant. So basically a fully scholarship plus $10000+ not bad.

I believe they also get a stipend for laundry and other noncovered expenses that is in the hundreds of dollars monthly. If you are low income you could potentially have all expenses paid plus $500/month year round and $5500 Pell grant. So basically a fully scholarship plus $10000+ not bad.

There's no stipend for those expenses

While I am not for a full-on salary, these kids are exploited big time and get nothing from it. I have never understood what the big deal is if the kid goes out and sells autographs, shoes, etc. for some extra cash. I believe those restrictions need to be more relaxed.