Should college football players be paid a salary?

hoosierbirdfan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin said they did the math while he was at Boise and when it was all said and done it was like they made $.45 an hour. Hardly seems right with all the money they bring the schools.

Just some quick math. Student-Athletes shouldn't be participating in more than roughly 600 hours of practice during the school year.

If you use $25,550 as the full scholarship figure that comes out to $42.6/hr.

While I am not for a full-on salary, these kids are exploited big time and get nothing from it. I have never understood what the big deal is if the kid goes out and sells autographs, shoes, etc. for some extra cash. I believe those restrictions need to be more relaxed.

I don't necessarily disagree but what you would end up with is studs selling their shoes to a booster for $50,000. The fact that it would get abused and boosters would find loopholes means they just have to say no one can do it. Kind of like the job thing. Kids ended up working for boosters making $50,000 a year for a part time job they never had to show up for.

I don't necessarily disagree but what you would end up with is studs selling their shoes to a booster for $50,000. The fact that it would get abused and boosters would find loopholes means they just have to say no one can do it. Kind of like the job thing. Kids ended up working for boosters making $50,000 a year for a part time job they never had to show up for.

Student-athletes can have jobs. Anyone telling you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Just some quick math. Student-Athletes shouldn't be participating in more than roughly 600 hours of practice during the school year.

My guess is they were only counting the stipends, not the scholarship value.

While I am not for a full-on salary, these kids are exploited big time and get nothing from it. I have never understood what the big deal is if the kid goes out and sells autographs, shoes, etc. for some extra cash. I believe those restrictions need to be more relaxed.

Don't agree that they get nothing. In addition to the full rides they are often in a position to get a nice job after graduation. And those that play key roles for the really top programs can even end up with plush jobs like Ritchie Farmer did.

Do those 600 hours include all team activities or just practice? Also does it include spring and summer ball, plus time spent on strength and conditioning.

Do those 600 hours include all team activities or just practice? Also does it include spring and summer ball, plus time spent on strength and conditioning.

20 hours/week in-season, 8 hours/week out-of-season. Doesn't count summer hours, they also get summer scholarship on top of the full year scholarship so the dollar amount would also be more.

What are the limits or are there limits?

Compensation may be paid to a student-athlete only for work actually performed and at a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services. Such compensation may not include any remuneration for value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, repution, fame or personal following that he or she has obtained because of athletics ability.

Basically if you do the work you can get paid the 'going rate' for the work performed.

No. Student-athletes who come from need based families can qualify for up to $5,500 in the pell grant above that full ride scholarship. Plus if they are pell grant eligible they can receive a $500 yearly clothing allowance. Not to mention all the other benefits that athletes are provided that normal students aren't.

College athletes deserve more than "normal" students for several reasons. Beyond the criteria that is required of a "normal" college student, the college athlete has to endure much more outside of the classroom in the same 24 hour period of non athletic students. The physical requirements aspect alone is a tremendous separation between student and student athlete. Many sacrifices are made as far as the liberties that the non athletic students get to experience simply because proper time management doesn't allow for it. I have respect for everyone who attends college, but the athletes are a different breed and deserve more than what they receive (with Oregon Ducks football program being the exception...lol).