3A Championship - Central 12 Belfry 6 (OT)

If there is one silver lining with the current KHSAA alignment and the "usual suspects" it is the fact that there is a very strong chance we see Central vs. Belfry duke it out again next season. This game more than likely will be the crown jewel matchup of Finals weekend for the second straight season by the time this evening is over. The 2A title is an exciting game, but in terms of level of skill of the teams involved this matchup is hard to beat. Class 3A is seemingly the one class that can be pin pointed to noticably improving across the board to match the level of the top teams.

Belfry, on paper, should be considered a very heavy favorite to be playing in Week 15 again next year as the Pirates return a ton of skill in an Eastern Semi-State that appears to be on the path of being quite down next year even by comparison to this year when Belfry steam rolled through the playpoffs. The Pirates have huge shoes to fill on the majority of their OL and at the LB position, but Breathitt County will be in a complete rebuiding mode, and Bourbon returns a ton of Junior talent but lose their Mr. Everything Hopkins.

Central will also be the odds on favorite on their side of the bracket as this impressive defense should remain relatively in tact and teams like Bell and Wayne County suffer substantial losses to graduation. With the inclusion of Bell County and Ft. Campbell it is quite evident the Western Semi-State has became the stiffer route.

Hard to beat this one. If either team would have made an XP in regulation they would have won by a single point.

My biggest complalint about having high school championships on college fields. High school uprights are 23 feet 4 inches apart and college are 18 feet 8 inches. Same for both teams I know, but something that would be very easy to fix. Great game by two great teams. Thanks for the show.

My biggest complalint about having high school championships on college fields. High school uprights are 23 feet 4 inches apart and college are 18 feet 8 inches. Same for both teams I know, but something that would be very easy to fix. Great game by two great teams. Thanks for the show.

I think both XP's would be in on regulation goal posts. The Central XP hit the upright and the Belfry XP was a couple feet wide.

It reared it's head in the BG/Cooper game as well.