Homer Bailey Throws a No Hitter

stickymitts

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No hitter, but one walk. Obviously, can't count the error against him. Serious question though: After how many walks does a no hitter becomes less meaningful? I've always wondered what hard-core baseball fans thought about a no-hitter scenario with multiple walks.

It would take an awful lot of walks. 5 BB's over 9 innings is still fine.

FROM USA TODAY:

Homer Bailey, expected to be on the fringe of the Cincinnati Reds' playoff rotation, thrust himself into the limelight on Friday night when he pitched a no-hitter against the Pittsburgh Pirates, the first for the franchise since Tom Browning's perfect game in 1988.

Bailey missed a perfect game in the 1-0 victory only because third baseman Scott Rolen committed a third-inning error that enabled Clint Barmes to reach base, and then Bailey walked Andrew McCutchen in the seventh.

Otherwise, Bailey was dominant, striking out 10, and firing first-pitch strikes to 19 of 29 batters faced on a night in which his considerable potential finally came together.

Bailey, 26, the seventh overall pick in the 2004 draft, has after years of starts and stops put together a consistent season. Friday night, he won his career-best 13th game, crossed the 200-inning barrier for the first time and lowered his ERA to 3.75.

For all this, Bailey figures to be just the fourth starter in the Reds' playoff rotation, behind Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo and Mat Latos.

Friday, he looked like their ace, needing very little from the Reds' defense as he mowed through a Pirates lineup that featured potential National League batting champion McCutchen batting third.

McCutchen was the only one to earn his way on, walking in the seventh, stealing second, but then getting caught trying to steal third.

Bailey didn't miss a beat after that. In the ninth, he struck out pinch hitter Brock Holt and got another pinch hitter, Michael McKenry, to pop out to left field. Finally, Alex Presley popped up to second baseman Brandon Phillips, and the celebration was on in Pittsburgh.

Bailey joined a fraternity that seems to grow less exclusive by the month: He pitched the seventh no-hitter in the major leagues this season, and the 15th since the start of the 2010 season.

He also became the fourth player among the first dozen picks of the 2004 draft to throw a no-hitter, joining Justin Verlander (picked second overall in '04), Phil Humber (third) and Jered Weaver (12th).

No hitter, but one walk. Obviously, can't count the error against him. Serious question though: After how many walks does a no hitter becomes less meaningful? I've always wondered what hard-core baseball fans thought about a no-hitter scenario with multiple walks.

I think a lot of it is situational. If a guy walks two or more in an inning or maybe has a 4 or 5 run lead, then yeah, it may not be as dominating. However, tonight, the fact that it came to the Pirates' best hitter, when one swing of his bat could've tied the game...not a problem in my eyes.

I think a lot of it is situational. If a guy walks two or more in an inning or maybe has a 4 or 5 run lead, then yeah, it may not be as dominating. However, tonight, the fact that it came to the Pirates' best hitter, when one swing of his bat could've tied the game...not a problem in my eyes.

So basically, it's best not to try and be a hero in a situation where the best hitter is up to bat and you're trying to nurse a one run lead. Makes sense. :thumb:

A no hitter is a no hitter. Vandermeer walked 8 in his second one and Jim Maloney walked 10 in his second one. He also struck out 12. Never heard of an unimpressive no hitter...

In today's game though you probably won't see that many walks and a no hitter by one pitcher because of the pitch count.

In the stands at the Trinity/St. X game and got a text: "Check the Reds box score."

15 minutes later: "Check the Reds box score NOW!"

Managed to get the ESPN app open quick enough to track the last three outs in the bottom of the ninth. Got it's own moment of high fives with the people around me at the stadium.

Wish I could've seen this.