Xavier Hoops Spiraling Under Mack?

gametime

With Myles Davis and Jaylen Reynolds ruled non-qualifiers for the season, is it time to really question Chris Mack and how he is handling the program. Here is a look at their recruiting over the last 5 years, and who actually made an impact in his tenure.

Frease - graduated

Tu - graduated

Lyons - left

Redford - still there

Brian Walsh - transferred

Jeff Robinson - still there

Jay Canty - gone

Jordan Latham - gone

Justin Martin - still there

Griffin McKenzie - gone

Dee Davis - still there

Jalen Reynolds - didnt qualify

Dez Wells - gone

Semaj Christon - enrolled

Myles Davis - didnt qualify

Jalen Reynolds - didnt qualify...again

James Farr - enrolled

Two transfers in Travis Taylor and Isaiah Philmore round out the 8 players currently on scholarship and eligible to play in 12-13 along with the 6 guys listed. Not looking good on Victory Parkway...

2 first place finishes in conference and 2 sweet 16's in three seasons.

On the back of Tu, Lyons and to a lesser extent Frease. Half of the recruits since Mack took over are gone. At best 9 scholarship players this year. I like Semaj and Dee a lot, but the roster is in trouble right now. And the A10 is likely stronger than ever. X no longer has the most talent in the league. Just a few simple observations...

On the back of Tu, Lyons and to a lesser extent Frease. Half of the recruits since Mack took over are gone. At best 9 scholarship players this year. I like Semaj and Dee a lot, but the roster is in trouble right now. And the A10 is likely stronger than ever. X no longer has the most talent in the league. Just a few simple observations...

I get what you're saying. I think it would take a bad season this year to seriously bring in to question his ability to run the program. And to this point winning has solved any underlying issues for the most part. 71-29 record, and attendence being at its highest in his three seasons since 2003.

I get what you're saying. I think it would take a bad season this year to seriously bring in to question his ability to run the program. And to this point winning has solved any underlying issues for the most part. 71-29 record, and attendence being at its highest in his three seasons since 2003.

All on the back of Miller's final class. The only Mack recruit to show some star power to this point was Wells and now he is gone as well. Going to be an interesting season in Norwood...

All on the back of Miller's final class. The only Mack recruit to show some star power to this point was Wells and now he is gone as well. Going to be an interesting season in Norwood...

What is Xavier's current outlook on the 2013 recruit class? At the way things are shaping up, he is going to have trouble putting a team out on the floor.

What is Xavier's current outlook on the 2013 recruit class? At the way things are shaping up, he is going to have trouble putting a team out on the floor.

The only commit at this point is Chris Thomas who is a big time talent, and an even bigger head case. They are in on some quality 4 star and high 3 star kids, but are battling with quality BCS programs for all of them. If they don't end up with 2 or 3 from that bunch it is going to be trouble long term...

As I said, this season will determine if he's right for the long term. He's won so far which makes whose kids they were irrelevant to this point. It will be an interesting season.

As I said, this season will determine if he's right for the long term. He's won so far which makes whose kids they were irrelevant to this point. It will be an interesting season.

It is relevant because to this point he hasn't replaced the exiting talent level. Miller gave him the keys to a BMW. Right now the roster is a poorly pimped out Prius...

The only commit at this point is Chris Thomas who is a big time talent, and an even bigger head case. They are in on some quality 4 star and high 3 star kids, but are battling with quality BCS programs for all of them. If they don't end up with 2 or 3 from that bunch it is going to be trouble long term...

He needs to get the commitments signed before the ugly season hits. Kids should see the prospects for early playing time and be open to signing early.

Not a bad way to spiral is it.....

Safety net is gone now. The spiral really started December 10th 2011. The events of the last 30 days or so certainly haven't helped matters. And I haven't even gotten into the near canyon size divide growing between Mack and the BOT. The next 12 months will be very interesting indeed...