Clyde's NKY Top 10 After Week 4

Clyde

I can't understand the Holmes hate. Alot on here are saying Scott should be in the Top 10 and they lost to Holmes. Then noone questions Beechwood in the Top 10 and Holmes absolutely crushed them. Sure, they got hammered by SK in a 2 qtr game, but, rather than give SK credit, they say Holmes was a beat up team. Then say Holmes was crushed by SK is the reason they don't belong and say , well, Beechwood had alot of injuries when they played Holmes.

Sounds to me like there's alot of talking out of both sides of the mouth going on. As an outsider looking in, what I see, basically, is

1) Noone wants to give SK credit for anything and look for every excuse in the world to downgrade there accomplishments.

2) Beechwood gets the benefit of the doubt because of injuries and Holmes doesn't.

3) Highlands will never be #2 in any NKy poll, regardless of what happens and CCath will always be #2, regardless of how good anyone else in the area may be.

4) NCC has to be hammered at least 3-4 times before they fall out of a NKy Top 10.

5) There are some teams that's always gonna get the love(NCC, BWood, Cooper, FTH, CCAth, Ryle) and others that's always gonna have to prove something (SKenton, Holmes, Campbell Co).

I love your post and you make a lot of great points. Not all of them I agree with however.

I will only speak on Cooper's behalf. In your last point you stated "There are some teams that's always gonna get the love(NCC, BWood, Cooper, FTH, CCAth, Ryle)" Well many of those schools you are right on target with and much because of their history, Cov Cath, Highlands for example. Ryle seems to always get some of that love too even when not deserved such as this year. But to put cooper in that group is just wrong. When in any years past has Cooper got undeserved love? Shoot, this year alone they weren't even in the top 10 before week 1 of the season even though many on the team believed they could beat the likes of Ryle and Boone going into the year. They were overlooked in many of the polls, to remind you of a few teams that were in the coaches poll going into the season were 4 teams that Cooper believed they could beat or hang with if anything, those schools were Ryle, Holmes, Boone, Conner and Holy Cross. All those teams ranked in the top 10 and no Cooper.

Cooper had to beat the highest ranked team on the list out of those i mentioned in order to actually get some recognition when they knocked off Ryle in week 1.

I will never forget the "coaches corner" that took place at Barleycorns in Florence 2 days before the Cooper Ryle game. This coming after Cooper's scrimmage with NCC which Cooper dismantled them 48-7 and the question posed to Cooper's coach about the scrimmage was not anything like "Is your team actually that good?" But instead the question was "What was wrong with NCC?"

Cooper got no credit whatsoever. Even after beating Ryle it wasn't so much of "Is Cooper really that good" but more of "What was wrong with Ryle that game?"

Cooper is getting some love this year, and after sweeping the district last season, it is actually well deserved love thus far. They won't go undefeated this year and I don't expect them to, but they have done nothing to deserve not to be ranked where they are right now. It's not the case of Cooper "always getting the love" because this is the first time they ever have. To remind you, out of the 10 teams listed (9 when you don't count Cooper) Cooper has already beaten 4 of the remaining 9 including the NCC Scrimmage.

But the rest of your points are very good.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hit the nail on the head.

But with that said, how much of a factor is his playing time due to his name rather than an upperclassman being better? You know as well as I know that many times at this level there are players who may be better at a certain position never get to play at that position due to the lack of their own coaches knowledge about the player.

I wonder how much of his playing time is contributed to his name and how much is contributed to his actual talent at this age.

What a surprise that you would "wonder", based on what you've had to say so far! Where were you when his sister played up? It was pretty obvious she played because of her name rather than her talent. Right!!! :rolleyes:

What a surprise that you would "wonder", based on what you've had to say so far! Where were you when his sister played up? It was pretty obvious she played because of her name rather than her talent. Right!!! :rolleyes:

I never said that. only watched Sid last year for the first time, she was awesome!!!!! I never claimed she played up because of her name. I only talk about Thad (which i really like and as I said earlier could have all the talent in the world as he grows older) because i've known Thad for 6 years and have actually went to tourney's with him several years when he and my boy played pee wee. He's a good athlete, good kid, I just didn't think he was as good right now as sopme on here are claiming him to be when they talk about all the talent on Boone's team and have him in the same category with Casey Boston etc. He's good, don't take it the wrong way, but he's not as great as some stated, especially after seeing him drop 3 straight passes right in his hands against Cooper earlier this year before his first catch. He has a ton of promise and could be unstoppable in a year or two, he's just not there just yet is all I was saying.

So no need to get upset, I didn't say he is horrible or anything like that, i just posed a reasonable question to why a 6A school would need to have a freshman playing right now at the Varsity level unless he was one of the best players on the team, which he is not....yet. It's a reasonable question, no need to take offense to it.

He is a freshman so he will get better. Regardless of how good he is, the fact that he is playing varsity end should be embarrassing for Boone County. He can hold his own on varsity and is getting playing time because he has the body that can do it. A 6A school like Boone County should have an upperclassman with a couple years in the weight room out there playing end. Having to dip down to the freshman level is a bad sign.

I hear what you are saying but there are occasionally young players who are good enough to play up. And I agree FB is a tough one to do that because of the strength and maturity difference that comes from being in a program for a while. Sometimes it just works out that a young player fits in where there may not be a better suited/gifted/prepared upperclassman. I do know some Boone County supporters on here who watched Moss play up to the 9th grade team last year who thought he was good enough to play varsity, and I also know the BC coaches felt that way prior to the season.

I never said that. only watched Sid last year for the first time, she was awesome!!!!! I never claimed she played up because of her name. I only talk about Thad (which i really like and as I said earlier could have all the talent in the world as he grows older) because i've known Thad for 6 years and have actually went to tourney's with him several years when he and my boy played pee wee. He's a good athlete, good kid, I just didn't think he was as good right now as sopme on here are claiming him to be when they talk about all the talent on Boone's team and have him in the same category with Casey Boston etc. He's good, don't take it the wrong way, but he's not as great as some stated, especially after seeing him drop 3 straight passes right in his hands against Cooper earlier this year before his first catch. He has a ton of promise and could be unstoppable in a year or two, he's just not there just yet is all I was saying.

So no need to get upset, I didn't say he is horrible or anything like that, i just posed a reasonable question to why a 6A school would need to have a freshman playing right now at the Varsity level unless he was one of the best players on the team, which he is not....yet. It's a reasonable question, no need to take offense to it.

Fair enough. Gotta excuse me having a bit of an edge since I'm at home in hospice care, defiantly cheating the grim reaper and trying to whip him. This message board is a way to keep myself involved since I can't be there to see Thad play.

I hear what you are saying but there are occasionally young players who are good enough to play up. And I agree FB is a tough one to do that because of the strength and maturity difference that comes from being in a program for a while. Sometimes it just works out that a young player fits in where there may not be a better suited/gifted/prepared upperclassman. I do know some Boone County supporters on here who watched Moss play up to the 9th grade team last year who thought he was good enough to play varsity, and I also know the BC coaches felt that way prior to the season.

Difference of opinion. I have seen Moss play this year and last year. Moss is not so good NOW that he should be playing varsity end as a freshman. I can see a freshman at a speed position playing up if he is that fast. But end is a strength position. He can hold his own. He can make a play. My point is a 6A program should have that bigger, stronger, more mature player in place to be playing that position. That is a statement about the Boone Co. program, not about Moss.

Fair enough. Gotta excuse me having a bit of an edge since I'm at home in hospice care, defiantly cheating the grim reaper and trying to whip him. This message board is a way to keep myself involved since I can't be there to see Thad play.

I hope all goes well my friend. My sister is in hospice also and it's tough. I was curious, with your name and all, if you were a relative of Thad? Like I said earlier, he's a great kid and will be a handful on the gridiron in years to come. Not taking anything away from him, but my question was, was it his name more than his current ability that has him starting on Varsity. That is all I was asking.

Again I wish you all the luck and you are in my prayers.

Difference of opinion. I have seen Moss play this year and last year. Moss is not so good NOW that he should be playing varsity end as a freshman. I can see a freshman at a speed position playing up if he is that fast. But end is a strength position. He can hold his own. He can make a play. My point is a 6A program should have that bigger, stronger, more mature player in place to be playing that position. That is a statement about the Boone Co. program, not about Moss.

Exactly my point.

I hope all goes well my friend. My sister is in hospice also and it's tough. I was curious, with your name and all, if you were a relative of Thad? Like I said earlier, he's a great kid and will be a handful on the gridiron in years to come. Not taking anything away from him, but my question was, was it his name more than his current ability that has him starting on Varsity. That is all I was asking.

Again I wish you all the luck and you are in my prayers.

Thanks, all prayers appreciated! I'm Thad's grandfather and wishing I could be there (live in WV).

I truly think he's playing because he's good enough and that the name has nothing to do with it. As I said earlier, occasionally that youngster comes along that can get it done and fits a need, thus plays where he might not normally.

Thanks, all prayers appreciated! I'm Thad's grandfather and wishing I could be there (live in WV).

I truly think he's playing because he's good enough and that the name has nothing to do with it. As I said earlier, occasionally that youngster comes along that can get it done and fits a need, thus plays where he might not normally.

I thought so, I must say he's pretty good a ping pong too until he met the master (me lol)

A couple years ago as I said earlier, my son would go down to Louisville and play in a football tournament after the pee wee season was over. He'd go down with a select team and play and they always fared pretty well. The tournament was called The River City rumble and had teams from all over the Midwest and south play in it. Boone county would usually send some teams in different age groups and we always stayed at the same hotel as the other teams. Thad played on the team right below my son's team and we would play ping pong at the hotel near the pool that was indoors.

Thad was playing and beat 4 kids in a row and so he started bragging he was the best player in Louisville (kids being kids lol) So I asked if he'd like a match and of course he said he would because he was going to beat me haha. I tried to keep it close for him, but he soon knew he was "The second best player in Louisville" lol. He's a good kid and he will be just fine. I think in 2 years you will deffinatley see a much improved football player. I wish him and you all the luck in the world.

After watching him play both on Saturday and Monday evening, he is good, very good as a frosh playing JV but as a Frosh playing against seniors he isn't there yet (and note I said yet).

Moss playing varsity as a DE has more to do with a lack of quality players at that position than, him being a starter because he is so very good now on the Varsity. He wouldn't see the field on CovCath "D" except in mop up duty but would be a monster on the JV.

Indeed as I said earlier, he is young, give him time!

Give him another year and he then will be an outstanding player and that isn't a knock on the young man at all, it's just he is a frosh.

Good luck sir,

Thoughts and prayers out to you WVFrank. God Speed.

Just did a little research and found a number of 6A teams (not so many in NKY) with frosh players listed on their rosters. And a few of those are playing enough minutes to be showing up in the stats. So perhaps Moss playing isn't totally unusual. Perhaps these other schools also have cases where a younger player is the best option for them at a particular position.

And that raises a reversal of the question being asked in this thread. Would all this discussion about Thad be going on if his name (and relationship) wasn't what it is? I would guess that it wouldn't. Food for thought.