Class 6A Rankings for 8-22

theguru

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see SK get the shutout and score at least 3 touchdowns on Beechwood.

That is not an answer to the question I asked?

I would like to win the lottery but I suppose I should buy a ticket first...

Its hard to agree or disagree thus far. Most of the rankings outside of Trinity, X, and Scott county are primarily based off of last year still.

Then why in the world would Male be at #6? Both Male and Ballard had losing records last year. 5 Jefferson Co. public schools in the top 10 seems like an over-representation as well. You could put Lafayette (#8), Henry Clay, Tates Creek, and Bryan Station on the same level as the Jefferson Co Public schools. There's not much difference in any of them.

Then why in the world would Male be at #6? Both Male and Ballard had losing records last year. 5 Jefferson Co. public schools in the top 10 seems like an over-representation as well. You could put Lafayette (#8), Henry Clay, Tates Creek, and Bryan Station on the same level as the Jefferson Co Public schools. There's not much difference in any of them.

Blockbuster, that was GOINGFOR2's opinion, not an official stance of BGP.

EXACTLY Block.........History and over value of the Louisville schools is TRADITION. Tates Creek beat Butler in its scrimmage and as the game wore on it was obvious who the better team was. Yet Butler is preseason #6-#7. That is why the POLLS AND RANKINGS are not truly valid until around week 4 or so. But it all sorts itself off. Until then its all just food and ammo for discussion and debate.

Agree-Trinity 1-St. Xavier is a clear 2 IMO. Lexington teams needs to be considered in the top 10. I like Ballard and Eastern more than Manual and Male (sorry)

Well. To be fair, the Lexington schools

Didn't exactly light it up last year. So I can actually understand not just throwing them in the top 10. Lafayette was the best of the group last year and is in the top 10. But, the same consideration was given for the teams mentioned from Louisville that had losing records now in the top 10. But, again, these early polls are more about discussing points then actual on the field results. It will change.

No doubt that Floyd Central has a different look since their star running back graduated last year, but that was a game Floyd Central won last year and Male absolutely HAMMERED them on Friday night. Male might not be what they were under Bob Redman, but I find it hard to believe that they won't be considerably better than last year's Bulldogs. They're a Top 10 squad.

Male might not be what they were under Bob Redman, but I find it hard to believe that they won't be considerably better than last year's Bulldogs. They're a Top 10 squad.
They were a top 10 squad ALL YEAR last year in the BGP rankings in spite of their dismal performance and losing record. Boone Co beat them and still could never pass them in the regular season rankings.

If they beat Butler Friday maybe some of the bad taste in my mouth will leave. But if Butler beats them they should move quickly out of the top 10.

EXACTLY Block.........History and over value of the Louisville schools is TRADITION. Tates Creek beat Butler in its scrimmage and as the game wore on it was obvious who the better team was. Yet Butler is preseason #6-#7. That is why the POLLS AND RANKINGS are not truly valid until around week 4 or so. But it all sorts itself off. Until then its all just food and ammo for discussion and debate.

I'm afraid we have a vastly different opinion on the Butler/Tates Creek scrimmage. In the first half where the first units were competing, Tates Creek scored first on a long run and was then held scoreless for the rest of the first half. Butler's first unit then proceeded to score three straight TD's on Commodores, and led 21-7 at halftime. Having lost their two leading rushers from last season, the Bears game plan was to work hard on developing the new running game with junior RB Joe Brown. This was very successful since Joe rushed for over 150 yards in the first half. Butler QB Josh Morgan only threw about three total passes after throwing for about 1700 yds last year. The Bears leading returning receiver and best DB, Tayvaughn Morton, didn't even play in this scrimmage due to a slight ankle sprain. For the second half, Coach Carmony kept most of his starters out, playing his younger players to develop some experience. It was in this second half with the Bears' subs playing that Tates Creek outscored Butler 28-7. What this told me was that in a real varsity game, Butler would have easily won, but that on the younger JV-type level, Tates Creek was the superior team.

This is just one illustration as to why it is vitally important to consider much more than just a final scrimmage score (must consider who was playing and what the coaches were trying to accomplish) when trying to judge who would emerge victorious in a REAL GAME.

Personally, GOINGFOR2, I am elated that you have started posting on BGP. For far too long we have not had someone representing the Lexington area on the board. I look forward to some interesting debates. :D

I'm afraid that until the schools from Lexington start winning real games against Louisville and Northern Kentucky teams, they will continue to be rated lower in the polls.

I'm afraid we have a vastly different opinion on the Butler/gates creek scrimmage. In the first half where the first units were competing, Tates Creek scored first on a long run and was then held scoreless for the rest of the first half. Butler's first unit then proceeded to score three straight TD's on Commodores, and led 21-7 at halftime. Having lost their two leading fishers from last season, the Bears game plan was to work hard on developing the new running game with junior RB Joe Brown. This was very successful since Joe rushed for over 150 yards in the first half. Butler QB Josh Morgan only threw about three total passes after throwing for about 1700 yds last year. The Bears leading returning receiver and best DB, Tayvaughn Morton, didn't even play in this scrimmage due to a slight ankle sprain. For the second half, Coach Carmony kept most of his starters out, playing his younger players to develop some experience. It was in this second half with the Bears' subs playing that Tates Creek outscored Butler 28-7. What this told me was that in a real varsity game, Butler would have easily won, but that on the younger JV-type level, Tates Creek was the superior team.

This is just one illustration as to why it is vitally important to consider much more than just a final scrimmage score (must consider who was playing and what the coaches were trying to accomplish) when trying to judge who would emerge victorious in a REAL GAME.

Personally, GOINGFOR2, I am elated that you have started posting on BGP. For far too long we have not had someone representing the Lexington area on the board. I look forward to some interesting debates. :D

I'm afraid that until the schools from Lexington start winning real games against Louisville and Northern Kentucky teams, they will continue to be rated lower in the polls.

And whats interesting is that while you had Butler not playing the players you mentioned, Tates Creek was also sitting players and working on things. Tates Creek did not start nor play #32 All-State Preseason Dennis Oxendine for the 1st half nor middle linebacker #44 Eamon Nasr (team leader in tackles this year). When they entered the game at the half the Butler run game went to limited at best. Also, Tates creek had the states top ranked pass defense in 6A regular season. Probably was the best recipe not to throw against them at will. The QB (soph.) Graham Gordon, (1st piece of true Varsity Action really...) against whatever unit was on the field for the entire game only missed on a couple of passes. I believe the numbers reflected somthing of 13-15 for 185 yards and 2-3 TDs. When #32 entered the game, the game shifted complexion totally. Now that may very well may be due to holding starters, working on new plays, all the varrying reasons that scrimmages are important and valuable.

I truly do not put tons of stock into scrimmages for the reasons you mentioned. But from what I saw, it was awful easy for tates Creek to move the ball completing pass after pass to 11 different receivers on the day. And like you said, the only time Butler scored in the 2nd half was when Creek had the JV unit in.

And I promise you as I charted the players, the starters were in the game until late inthe 3rd. And the RB absolutely did not have anywghere of the kind near 150 yards at half. Bulter had 2 runs 1 of 40 yards, the other of 32. Outside of that, they didnt move the ball well at all. Tates Creek would have won this game going away with the way they threw at will on Butler.

I appreciate the love on posting and repn Lexington. I have observed these boards for some time now and never understood why there was so much limited Lexington representation, outside of not being very good obviously........

And I agree on your last sentence. Win games that count, get the respect. Point Blank.