Let's say....

leatherneck

Is Leatherneck's Reporting Fair or Unfair?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is Leatherneck's Reporting Fair or Unfair?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. After the JV and freshman were put into the game, did the offensive continue to throw? Did they run razzle dazzle misdirection plays? Did winning team's defense blitz or throw unusual wrinkles at their opponent? (If this were basketball I would ask did the winning team continue to press with a 30 point lead.) If the winning team kept things bland with frosh and JV, then I would say although the margin of victory was large, the winning coach did everything he could to keep things respectable and that should be reported. Scoring a TD up 56 with 30 seconds left in the game does not require additional explaination. It is bush league.

Would you agree or disagree that a reporter should disclose those type of facts in an article addressing running up the score as opposed to just saying CovCath scored in the last 30 seconds while already up by 28?

We are all going to assume the backups were in so IMO there is no need to make a point that starters were out. I can figure that out by seeing who scored.

But if it is an article about running up the score and the CovCath game is used as an example then to be fair to CovCath it needs to be explained that CovCath called off the dogs before the running clock did, how long their backups played against the varsity as well as equal backups and how they scored(passing, running, defense, etc). In this example of the story none of that seems to be mentioned. It's mentioned it's a story on running up the score and this CovCath game used as an example. This game doesn't strike me as a good example and it's even worse if half of the story on that game is told.

Just forfeit the rest of the game then. Taking a knee is a waste of time.
Sticking one in with 30sec to play? Come on PP. Stay in the huddle, pat your kids on the helmet because they didn't have to score there because they knew they could. Tell them that they played with class have represented CC in a respectful and dignified manner.

Sticking one in with 30sec to play? Come on PP. Stay in the huddle, pat your kids on the helmet because they didn't have to score there because they knew they could. Tell them that they played with class have represented CC in a respectful and dignified manner.

Technically they have 25 seconds to run a play, so they had to do something, either run a play or take a knee, again, if there were on offense.

No one has answered my post about what if they scored on defense yet.

But if it is an article about running up the score and the CovCath game is used as an example then to be fair to CovCath it needs to be explained that CovCath called off the dogs before the running clock did, how long their backups played against the varsity as well as equal backups and how they scored(passing, running, defense, etc). In this example of the story none of that seems to be mentioned. It's mentioned it's a story on running up the score and this CovCath game used as an example. This game doesn't strike me as a good example and it's even worse if half of the story on that game is told.

Disagree. The only mention that would be important is if the winning team kept starters in against subs.

Technically they have 25 seconds to run a play, so they had to do something, either run a play or take a knee, again, if there were on offense.

No one has answered my post about what if they scored on defense yet.

Defense is reactionary and can't be controlled pre-snap about scoring if there's a pick, or a fumble taken to the house. Offense is totally the opposite.

And no official in the country worth his salt would blow the whistle when one team is showing sportsmanship for a mere 5 seconds. And if he did, so be it. Take the penalty, then take the victory formation snap.

Given the scenario, I would address the following. IT IS running up the score (even with JV /Frosh players) due the running clock, and at 30 seconds, the offensive team could take a knee. Game over. Now as far as the reporting. I think it would be unfair if it was not mentioned that the last few touchdowns were scored by JV and Frosh players. However, the article should also mention if there is a history between the two teams to justify any "reasoning" for running up the score.

We are all going to assume the backups were in so IMO there is no need to make a point that starters were out. I can figure that out by seeing who scored.

I will disagree completely. We hear in past of many cases of starters not being pulled in games. Also, what if it was 2 small schools....say Paris and Ludlow playing, that do not have true JV/Freshman teams, would it not make a difference as to who was in the game at the time of the late scores?

It's completely fair. I don't care if it's the girls volleyball team in at the end of the game. When you're up that big, any scoring is running up the score. And, for the record, I am all for running up the score, it's the other teams job to stop you, not the job of your coach. Who scores the points for "CovCath" is irrelevant though IMO.

It's completely fair. I don't care if it's the girls volleyball team in at the end of the game. When you're up that big, any scoring is running up the score. And, for the record, I am all for running up the score, it's the other teams job to stop you, not the job of your coach. Who scores the points for "CovCath" is irrelevant though IMO.

I used to feel that way. You'll mellow as you age.

I'm a play until there is 00:00 on the clock kind of person. I have never associated class with taking a knee and I never will. If a team is still throwing the ball downfield up 56 with 30 seconds left then that's one thing. If a team is running basic running plays with 30 seconds left up 56 and they punch one in I have no issues with that at all. Especially if it is Freshmen out there. I say this because if I was on the losing team I'd still be going as hard as I could. I played on middle school basketball team that didn't win a single game when I was on that team. We got smashed every game except for maybe 3 games my whole middle school career. I gave 100% every second I was on that floor even though we knew the outcome before the game tipped off. Go hard or don't go it all is all I know when it comes to competing. Don't disrespect me by not playing when there is still time on the clock is my attitude. That's just the way I am.