Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Let's say....

Is Leatherneck's Reporting Fair or Unfair? 25 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Leatherneck's Reporting Fair or Unfair?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Let's say I was a sports reporter doing a critical series addressing the issue of high school coaches running up the score and its possible effect on the kids on the losing teams, and I mentioned in the article that a school, let's say CovCath (just to name a school;I'd use Highlands but that would create a bunch of sidebar discussions off point) had scored a touchdown in the last 30 seconds while leading by 56 points. But even though I had knowledge of the fact that the last 28 points had been scored by CovCath using JV and frosh players, I failed to mention that fact. Would people consider my reporting to be unfair, incomplete and possibly biased? If a mod could add a poll with a yes or no answer option to my question, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say incomplete, (I voted for unfair as incomplete was not a poll option). I would also add that my vote is biased, being a coach in multiple sports I feel I have a different perspective than the normal parent or fan would perhaps.

If I fully understand the question, I would say fair. Shouldn't matter who scored or who the points were scored on. Either way it was Cov Cath scoring them.

I would say incomplete, (I voted for unfair as incomplete was not a poll option). I would also add that my vote is biased, being a coach in multiple sports I feel I have a different perspective than the normal parent or fan would perhaps.

 

I would add as well that perhaps you dont have to add directly that the points were scored by the JV team, but if you had in there for example. Soph RB Bob Smith score a late 4th quarter TD for Cov Cath, then you have covered the point.

I voted "unfair" as well, but agree with what Plantman said. There's really not enough info given to have a solid stance for me either way.

I'd use Highlands but that would create a bunch of sidebar discussions off point)

 

Being off point is the purpose of the Break Room forum is it not?? :D

I voted "unfair" for the same reason stated earlier by plantman.

  • Author
Fair

 

So you and others know, I'm not addressing this at Richard Skinner (whom I have an extremely high regard for) or any other actual sports writer.

So you and others know, I'm not addressing this at Richard Skinner (whom I have an extremely high regard for) or any other actual sports writer.

 

Given the two choices it was the only one to choose.

If I fully understand the question, I would say fair. Shouldn't matter who scored or who the points were scored on. Either way it was Cov Cath scoring them.

 

Even though it was the JV or freshman team scoring? The way the story is being told they are using the school's name but not mentioning who did the scoring and that could ultimately paint CovCath in a negative light when they shouldn't be painted in that way. Responsible and fair journalism tells the entire story not half of it.

Doesn't it really depend on your slant in the report? Not enough info to make a choice for me. If by "critical" you mean you threw CC under the bus in the report, and didn't tell the whole story, I'd call you a hack.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.