Severe Plantar Fasciits - Anyone Had it?

cooperstown

I have been battling this God-awful condition on and off for several years, but non-stop since November. It's been horrible - I have tried every treatment out there - anti-inflammation pills, steroid packs, cortisones shots, several 3-4 week periods in a hard boot, night splint boot, taping my foot, two sets of custom orthotics, various therapies (rolling foot on tennis ball/frozen water bottle), stretching exercises, special shoes, limiting all running, icing it all the time etc... I was told by one doctor I needed a serious nerve surgery, but another doctor said the first was crazy and that the nerve operation was dangerous and unnecessary. He did say I'd likely need the plantar fasciitis surgery if it didn't start to improve. Well it hasn't - it hurts every day, all day long. It basically consumes my thoughts all day. I am going to a pain clinic to see if they can at least get me through to November/December, when I'd be in more of a mental state to have the surgery.

Anyone dealt with this freakin' injury and have any suggestions for me? Not too many things in life have bothered me as bad as this injury - meeting Clyde was also painful and a nightmare, I guess - but this one is worse. I sure I don't know what I'd do if some expert told me there was no cure and I'd have to live the rest of my life this way. It hurts like a b.... day in and day out. Someone give me some hope . . . . .

Had it several years ago. Two things helped.

I stopped walking to work in cheap shoes (started wearing Rockports - not the most expensive shoes in the world, but they did the trick). I also bought those cheap inserts with the little "magnets" in them.

That combination worked for me. Went from dreading getting out of bed and having my foot hit the floor to pain-free.

I had it a few years back. I had been dealing with it for about 6 months when my girlfriend and I went white water rafting in Colorado with another couple. After 4 hours or so of my problem foot being in sub 40 degree water it just stopped hurting. I'm guessing the cold got rid of the inflamation and I haven't had it since.

Had it my senior year of high school during football. AWFUL pain!

Back then they just had me come in one day and cut them all out.

You may be thinking of plantar warts. You can cut those or freeze them.

Plantar Fasciitis is an inflamation of the tendon that runs along the sole of the foot from the heel to the ball. The tendon is under alot of distress (people with high arches get this frequently) and becomes inflamed.

My wife is suffering the same thing right now. She is also looking at surgery. Her problem is that it has also let to bone stress fractures in her heel.

I developed this years ago when I began teaching and was on my feet all day long; the pain was almost unbearable. I had cortisone shots a couple of times and there were stretching exercises that I did every morning before I ever got out of the bed. After a month of pain, I decided to invest in some high dollar, high quality shoes. The pain went away and I have not had any more trouble.

I do feel your pain because it's terrible. You obviously have a more severe case than I did. I Hope you can find something that works so you can get some relief.

You may be thinking of plantar warts. You can cut those or freeze them.

Plantar Fasciitis is an inflamation of the tendon that runs along the sole of the foot from the heel to the ball. The tendon is under alot of distress (people with high arches get this frequently) and becomes inflamed.

My wife is suffering the same thing right now. She is also looking at surgery. Her problem is that it has also let to bone stress fractures in her heel.

Good catch, Amber. 100% correct.

I had it when I began working at my current job and was wearing cheap steel toe boots from Walmart. I treated it the way you have been treating it and upgraded my boots and put insoles in my boots that were prescribed from a doctor and it eventually went away. I had it in both feet and I remember the dread of waking up and feeling pain when my feet hit the floor. Good luck. I hope you can find a way to make it better.

I don't have any experience with that in particular. However, if you decide to go the surgical route, take the advice of buttels, find a guy you can get plenty of feedback on. In our neck of the woods, I know of no other medical profession with more hacks, even dentistry.

Good luck Coop.

I have been battling this God-awful condition on and off for several years, but non-stop since November. It's been horrible - I have tried every treatment out there - anti-inflammation pills, steroid packs, cortisones shots, several 3-4 week periods in a hard boot, night splint boot, taping my foot, two sets of custom orthotics, various therapies (rolling foot on tennis ball/frozen water bottle), stretching exercises, special shoes, limiting all running, icing it all the time etc... I was told by one doctor I needed a serious nerve surgery, but another doctor said the first was crazy and that the nerve operation was dangerous and unnecessary. He did say I'd likely need the plantar fasciitis surgery if it didn't start to improve. Well it hasn't - it hurts every day, all day long. It basically consumes my thoughts all day. I am going to a pain clinic to see if they can at least get me through to November/December, when I'd be in more of a mental state to have the surgery.

Anyone dealt with this freakin' injury and have any suggestions for me? Not too many things in life have bothered me as bad as this injury - meeting Clyde was also painful and a nightmare, I guess - but this one is worse. I sure I don't know what I'd do if some expert told me there was no cure and I'd have to live the rest of my life this way. It hurts like a b.... day in and day out. Someone give me some hope . . . . .

Funny how that works. I met Randy Parker for the first time back during basketball season and was positively dreading it.

But once I was able to get past his laying there like a slug most of the time, it was a good meeting. Sometimes you get all worked up, then after it's all over you wonder what you were worried about in the first place.