Fayette County Flu Hits Jefferson County?

theguru

Originally posted by ram95

(reply to Bert and Rock mom) Thanks for the info. Butl in the same way we all pay money to the State and county revenue cabinet and somehow it ends up at the KHSAA and to JCPS. Money given at Mass can end up going to the Brothers and Sister's holy order and find their way to high schools. Yes the schools are self sufficent, but I was just trying to make the point that as a Catholic I inadvertantly, at fish fryes, or buy stuff from church fund raisers also help Catholic Schools even though I never went to one, the same way Catholic School Parents pay taxes. And I agree it is a raw deal for hard working parents to have to pay school taxes and not even get bus service, but I am tired of hearing that complaint at family events or social gatherings.

(reply to Lou Track) Thanks for the info.

To be honest, I don't know where all the money given at Mass goes, but I think that it comes down to this, you CHOOSE to tithe and the amount to tithe. You CHOOSE to go to fish fries, and you CHOOSE to buy stuff from church fund raisers.

We don't choose the amount of taxes we pay, and we do support public school fundraisers, too. I'm not griping about paying the taxes. I knew that I'd not see any those dollars when I chose to go the route I did in educating my children. But what I get back for my dollars of tuition cannot be measured in dollars. I get children who are taught to be responsible to society and to GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY, (ie alumni support, service hours, compassion toward their fellow man). I have the comfort of knowing that the schools I send my children to send better than 95% of their students to college, that they learn the tools they need to succeed while there and the values to become successful, and responsible adults.

I investigated getting my daughter into Manual. It would have been a great fit for her academically and as an artist. But, they couldn't take her. My other public school option was not up to my standards academically, so I chose to go ahead and continue the Catholic education. I do not regret one minute of it.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

( And I agree it is a raw deal for hard working parents to have to pay school taxes and not even get bus service, but I am tired of hearing that complaint at family events or social gatherings.

I agree as well. I went to St. Leonards thru grade school and my younger brother did as well and attended Trinity his Frosh year. My son attended St.Bartholomew before switching over to public schools. Ive been on both sides and choose not to pass judgement on a lot of these issues. Sometimes it seems that some of you refuse to see the other side of the coin. There is a reason for all this, this may not be the solution but it does seem to have gotten some peoples attention. Maybe thats all these AD's wanted.

LTrack

It's not that I don't see their side. And I'm sorry if I come off abrasive and defensive, but this is indicative of conversations I have had all to frequently over the past 12 years. Just as you chose to have your son attend public schools after Catholic grade school, some public school parents choose, for whatever reason, to have their children attend Catholic or other private schools. I take exception to the fact that this means the private schools have an advantage over public schools.

And whatever reason the coaches are choosing this route, it can't be out of a motivation to do the best by the kids. It's setting a bad example for the kids, it will not prepare them to meet these teams later in the playoffs (I'm assuming we'd still be allowed to participate, since we haven't been kicked out of the KHSAA, & I don't see them boycotting tournaments and playoffs if private schools are there). At least I know my children's coaches and teachers are teaching them to stand up and find a way to succeed.

Rock Mom, Please don't be offended that was not meant as an attack toward you or what you have said. But like you said about me and tithing I chose that.

But lets look at my choices:

1 Tithe, feel good about myself, help out members of my community, maybe score a point with St.Peter

2 Don't tithe, feel guilty, be a burden on my parish, maybe score a few points with the :devil:

Of course I would chose tithing

But be fair, you had a choice too!

1. Pay out the nose for a Great School

2. Send your kid to a public school that's not Manual

Hey when it comes down to it we had a choice, but what kind of sicko would pick choice 2?!:thumb: :D

Originally posted by LSURock

Lets try to limit our discussions to sports.

:rolleyes: This all has to do with the reasons the sports boycott is going on, so limiting it strictly to sports is ignoring the root issues of this thread.

Public vs. private issuses are the cause of this boycott, I mean it certainly isn't about not playing schools with the color Green.

Rock Mom, Please don't be offended that was not meant as an attack toward you or what you have said. But like you said about me and tithing I chose that.

But lets look at my choices:

1 Tithe, feel good about myself, help out members of my community, maybe score a point with St.Peter

2 Don't tithe, feel guilty, be a burden on my parish, maybe score a few points with the :devil:

Of course I would chose tithing

But be fair, you had a choice too!

1. Pay out the nose for a Great School

2. Send your kid to a public school that's not Manual

Hey when it comes down to it we had a choice, but what kind of sicko would pick choice 2?!:thumb: :D

You crack me up!:lol: :lol:

The kind of sicko that works 2 jobs to do it, thereby increasing her income so as to look like she doesn't need financial aid. And, one that hopes when my daughter becomes a successful neonatologist (her career goal) with a successful side job as a famous artist, will let me live in her basement rent-free so I can afford all of the airline tickets to see my son play pro-football and major league baseball! LOL!!!:p

:lol:

But see that makes you not a sicko because you picked option 1 pay through the nose!:thumb: And because you are doing that for your kids that makes you a saint!:D

That's what I tell my kids, but they just don't get it!;)

Bert noted earlier that the Archdiocese did not support trinity and that since 1994, they have been a separate entity. I also thought this was the case until recently when I found out that $6,400,000 was contributed by Archbishop Kelly to trinity to finance their latest expansion plans and stadium renovation. The magnitude of this "non-alum" donation shocked me, especially in light of the fact that he did not assist Holy Rosary when their alums, students, and supporters had raised $800,000 of the $1,000,000 needed to keep the school open. Most of this money is the result of previous and current donations to the Archdiocesan Fund, which is collected from parisheners at all the Catholic Churches. I don't think that many of us knew when we made our contributions that this much money was being allocated to a football stadium and other academic and non-academic facilities at trinity high school. This doesn't seem right. :irked:

I for once (and hopefully one of the last times) agree with Oxnard on this one, provided his information is accurate. Not living in Louisville anymore, I don't know as much as I used to. If the Archdiocese really gave Trinity money SPECIFICALLY to expand their athletic facilities, then yes, it is wrong. If the donations were general however, then I accept it gladly. As for not donating to Holy Rosary, I can see where the Archdiocese is coming from. It was apparent to me that Spalding was going to close down that school, regardless of what money was raised. To give money to a doomed school would be a poor allocation of funds by an Archdiocese already strapped for cash in the low economy.

Anyway, what it comes down to is this, if the Archdiocese gave money to Trinity with the INTENTION that it be used on athletics, then I am upset that my Alma Mater would be involved in such a waste of Diocecsan funds. If however, the funds are meant as a non-specific donation, and the school chose to use them for sports, then although I would be upset (since there is so much more to be done), I can't see anything wrong with it and thank the Archdiocese for the help.

Back to the topic of this thread, can anybody provide substantitive prove that an actual boycott is already underway? If teams are boycotting the Frosh and JV games, then who really cares? That just puts more pressure on X and T's athletic directors to fill the holes. With the number of schools in Jefferson Co and the surrounding 5 counties, I don't think it will be too much of a problem to fill up a 9 game schedule.

Secondly, there is still no proof whatsoever that a boycott is going to happen at the Varsity Football level. NONE! And even if there is a boycott, the impact is very minimal. Think about it. Trinity plays a 10 game schedule. They have 6 district games that can't be boycotted. They will also play X (7). They are contracted to play at the Ryle festival (8). That leaves two games that they need to schedule. One is already filled by Montgomery Bell Academy. The other is filled by Manual. What's the problem? If Dennis Lampley can't find two teams to play him each year, then something is wrong.

All this griping about public schools not having enough money to do anything is the very reason a boycott won't happen at the Varsity level. If you're the AD at Seneca and you have the chance to play Trinity at your home stadium, common business sense says you jump at the chance. You will collect the majority profit of over 4000 sold tickets, increased concessions, and your cheer squad, band, dance team or whatever could raise more money selling doughnuts or whatever to a much larger captive audience. I think those girls at Boone Co. who were selling doughnuts in the stands at the Boone-Trinity game made an absolute killing for their team. Or, if you're really driven by "principles" you could boycott Trinity, schedule Iroquois and have another ho-hum game, with no buildup, and about 500 sold tickets. Do the math. I'm sure the AD's have.

Oxnard, I think you've made a mistake. More likely you've misinterpreted something you read. The Archdiocese doesn't give Trinity money. My guess is that either there was a contribution to Trinity made through the Archdiocese or they provided a bridge loan of some kind. And by the way, the only work that is under construction is a new wing with nine classrooms and two labs.

Originally posted by Oxnard

Bert noted earlier that the Archdiocese did not support trinity and that since 1994, they have been a separate entity. I also thought this was the case until recently when I found out that $6,400,000 was contributed by Archbishop Kelly to trinity to finance their latest expansion plans and stadium renovation. The magnitude of this "non-alum" donation shocked me, especially in light of the fact that he did not assist Holy Rosary when their alums, students, and supporters had raised $800,000 of the $1,000,000 needed to keep the school open. Most of this money is the result of previous and current donations to the Archdiocesan Fund, which is collected from parisheners at all the Catholic Churches. I don't think that many of us knew when we made our contributions that this much money was being allocated to a football stadium and other academic and non-academic facilities at trinity high school. This doesn't seem right. :irked:

Are you sure about your info? The last I heard construction of the stadium is still on hold till a plot of land can be found to relocate the baseball field. As of a few weeks ago, I was told the search for land is still on. I can't imagine why Trinity would borrow the funds from the Archdiocese if they can not start construction yet. That and from what numbers I have heard, the stadium isn't going to cost anywhere near 6.4 million. Probably not even half of that. If they are borrowing that much money from the Archdiocese they must be buying some land near Sherrin Ave for more expansion and continued construction. I have a meeting in mid February on Trinity's campus, I am sure this will come up during the meeting if your info is correct.