Fayette County Flu Hits Jefferson County?

theguru

I hope Male doesn't participate in anything like this. They have been bitter district rivals with St X in most sports for 70 years. It would be a shame if the Tigers were replaced by Fairdale or Eastern on the schedule.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by theguru

What do you think is going to happen when they finally get to you after they have been playing the best of the best and you have been avoiding the best?

Blowout City Baby!

How is that any different than what is happening now? Either way these schools will get blown out. If Trinity is banned, the schools will get blown out by Male.

As far is football is concerned, I'm all for it. Trinity hasn't lost a district games since 1995; that's SEVEN seasons of undefeated district play. I don't think next year will be any different. Since, Coach Beatty took over in 2000, they have played 22 district games (including playoffs). The average score is 50-6. 44 point blowouts don't really help your team that much. As a fan why would you want to continue to watch these games? (The only benefit is the running clock rule gets you home by 9:30.)

KHSAA kick us out. That's fine with me. I'd much rather see a Trinity schedule that looks something like this:

MBA

Elder

Manual

St. X

Ben Davis

Cov Cath

Cincy St. X

Lex Cath

Moeller

Brentwood

Think about all the money the schools can make on attendance. Think about the players' experience and national exposure. Think about the challenge. Think about not having to listen to schools from lower classes and regions proffer outlandish claims that they can beat you. I'm all for it.

Sure, Trinity will lose some of those games, but one thing is for sure, no matter who wins or loses, the teams, fans, and administrations will not be complaining about "unfair advantages!"

Although I don't think the boycott is going to do any good I will say that it's frustrating being a coach outside of Lville and seeing your best athletes being openly recruited by a private school that doesn't have to play by the same rules as the public schools because they are private. I don't have the answere's for this Public vs Private debate and I haven't seen anybody come up with a solution yet. When I look at a school like Trinity I think, perhaps the best coaching staff in the state, state of the art facilities, TRADITION, compassionate fans, hard working kids, great education and some of the best athletes in the state. Some of this is do to the above factors and some of it is because they can go out and get the kids from other places than St Matthews. There aren't enough Private schools for them to be in their own leauge and there is no way that the schools can last without being able to recruit kids to their school. It's a double edged sword. I do think if you want to be the best then you have to scheduale the best!

Originally posted by stick1

it's frustrating being a coach outside of Lville and seeing your best athletes being openly recruited by a private school that doesn't have to play by the same rules as the public schools because they are private.

But they do play by the same rules, those establised by the KHSAA.

The rules that apply to the private schools that allow students from outside their county, or state for that matter, play on their teams apply to the public schools as well. Some independent school districts allow students from outside their district to attend their schools if they pay tuition. If your school (or district) dosen't allow that then your school (or district) is limiting themselves. How fair is it to penalize a school, or schools, for abiding by the rules (as established by the KHSAA) because another school, or schools, chooses not to take advantage of every resource they could have under those same rules.

For once I'd like to put my comments into one of these threads on "Private vs. Public".

Thank goodness the "flu" hasn't hit N. Ky. In fact my CCH Colonels are renewing their rivalry with Beechwood this fall.

I just think the whole concept is getting ridiculous. As other people have stated, the only schools who have been hurt by the boycott in Lexington are the Public Schools. Lex Cath seems to be surviving in every sport. The same will hold true in Louisville. The private schools will make it on their own(they already do that financially) and the Public School athletes will be denied the opportunity to compete against kids they grew-up with or knew from the neighborhood.

Also, a comment about other states (we already know what things are like in Tennessee by splitting the Private & Public schools into separate championships), I grew-up in Wisconsin and was in High School in the 60's (you think Oldbird is old) and I went to a Catholic High School. At that time there were separate championships in all sports and the Public Schools would not play us in any sports. In fact we had to go to Chicago(about 80 miles) to play non-conference games, because all of the private schools close to us were in our conference. About 10 years ago the two groups finally got together and merged and it has been the best thing that has ever happened. We do not want to follow Tennessee.

As what usually is the case in most boycotts, the ones who boycott are the losers.

People, people....THIS IS JUST A RUMOR!!! Take it easy. A boycott will never happen because nobody is really that stupid. If a boycott happens, it will be at the Frosh and JV levels. It won't happen at the varsity level because that's when $$ get involved. Football may be a game, but money is the only cheer that a school's administration hears on game day.

El Nino, You say it's just a rumor and it will never happen, well I hate to tell you but it is a reality here in Lexington. It can and probably will happen in the Ville also. If you polled the students in the public schools in Lex. the majority would say they want to play ALL the private schools here in Lexington. When you get adults or so they call themselves involved in deciding who gets to play who sometimes egos get in the way. By that I mean that some of them still think they are the ones playing and won't let go of the I was a high school star way back when memories. We need to remember that this is for the kids and what kind of example are we setting for them with the boycott talk. This tells them that they don't need to try harder but just take your ball and go home if you don't get your way!

Originally posted by skyhawk76

El Nino, You say it's just a rumor and it will never happen, well I hate to tell you but it is a reality here in Lexington. It can and probably will happen in the Ville also. If you polled the students in the public schools in Lex. the majority would say they want to play ALL the private schools here in Lexington. When you get adults or so they call themselves involved in deciding who gets to play who sometimes egos get in the way. By that I mean that some of them still think they are the ones playing and won't let go of the I was a high school star way back when memories. We need to remember that this is for the kids and what kind of example are we setting for them with the boycott talk. This tells them that they don't need to try harder but just take your ball and go home if you don't get your way!

i can tell you that most of the football coachs in lexington want to play against lex cath, we played lex cath in jv for 2 years before we were told that if we played them again we would be fired.

every coach i talk to wants to play the private schools..well at least every football coach !!!

i think the problem in lexington is the round ball, :D

Originally posted by PepRock01

As far as I know, and anyone closer to Trinity can correct me if I am wrong, Trinity only does "recruiting" visits to other Catholic schools. We don't send groups into Meyzeek or Barret to try and get their Eighth graders, and if kids get convinced through friends that play football then is that really Trinity's doing? The same goes for St.X here, and any other private school.

Actually that is incorrect. I went to Meyzeek and a guy did come around and did give us flyers to come out to take a St.X and Trinity placement test. He was from the Archdiocese. I remember that clear as a bell because two guys from my class that were going to Manual decided to go play football for St. X.

I think that the problem in Lexington is basketball because that's where Lex Cath has had the most success. In Louisville, it's football because of the success Trinity and x have had. I think that part of the problem now is the improvements Trinity has made and is planning. When theTrinity campus improvements are finished it will feel and look like a small college campus. I can understand that some schools will have trouble competing. I don't see it as Trinity's problem. There will be one school that will upgrade its facilities to compete - x.

I'm sorry kyfootball you are correct about the coaches, it is the AD's that are pushing the boycott. I know that both Dom Fucci and Steve Chandler want to ply Lex. Cath. and were told the same thing. As far as it being the round ball that is holding things up , before Hanney left he had a number of meetings with the powers that be in the Fayette system but they wanted everything short of Lex. Cath. saying they would lose every game to the public schools in Lex. on purpose. The stipulations that were put on Lex. Cath. to end the boycott were beyond reason so Haney just walked away. As was stated earlier in this post ALL high schools in Ky. have to play by the same rules enforced by the KHSAA and if you have proof that a rule was broken then report it.

I will be very surprised to see this happen. Not to knock Guru's sources at all but I really can't see this happening. St. X is highly beatable, Trinity wasn't this year but has been in the past. Heck Male is just as big a threat in the last ten years as either of those teams and maybe even more intimidating. I just don't get this, something in the water smells!:irked:

What are we teaching kids about life if we stop fighting just because we are likely to lose? Kids are better served to play these types of teams because in life there will always be someone faster, richer, smarter, stronger, more popular, and unfair. Kids need to learn that and try to fight to overcome that. I hope teachers and educators understand that.

Ram95, I think you said it yourself, the person that handed out the fliers was from the archdiocese, not Trinity. Second, if he came from the archdiocese, the invitation would be for all of the Catholic schools, not just Trinity or x. Third, they can only pass out that kind of material with the permission of the administration.

Buckman, I'll only buy the Title IX excuse when someone shows me that the Catholic girls schools can't raise money. The problem isn't Title IX. The problem is the way most public schools raise money. First the money is usually raised for a specific sport. If the fundraising was centralized for the school, I think some of the problems would go away. Second, if the schools would work harder to involve alumni in the school they would develop a loyal donor base. That donor base is the key.