Jailbreaking an iPhone

BleedBlue12

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to learning even more about it. I'm still crawling big time. :lol:

Haha you'll get the hang of it. Looks like you've already figured a lot out. Have you learned how to add repos yet? Or ROMs for your SNES?

Glad you got MXTube. I was planning on posting it because I just discovered it as well. Here's a few more apps you might consider:

CallBar

Gridlock

PdaNet (from the insanelyi repo)

SBAdBlockToggle (from the xSellize repo)

Springtomize 2

xBackup

Also, if you have Siri, there are a ton of extensions you can give her. I got one called SiriSports where I can ask for current scores and game times.

If you don't have Siri.... I think there are apps where you can add the feature. Not sure what they're called or which repo they're located in though.

Has anyone else attempted it yet?

I've spent all day today modding my themes, adding some of my own graphic designs into them and so on. I also got a new app on there where I can record everything I do on my screen and upload it to YouTube. So if anyone needs any tutorials after they've jailbroken, I can physically show you the steps. Just let me know.

I just added jpgtosiri and Chuck Norris facts for Siri also. The jpg one brings up pictures that you ask for and the Chuck Norris one has Siri giving you Chuck Norris facts. :lol: The instructions on how to use it are on the app page. Good stuff.

It's really hard to narrow it down to three top reasons because it's more of a combination of a bunch of smaller things. I'll try to give a quick three though:

1. Full Customization: Themes, animations, customized status bars, lock screens, etc. When I had a jailbroken phone awhile back, I had the Android lock screen which I loved. I just read about a new one that is facial recognition to unlock your phone which I plan on trying out. You can also add Intelliscreen which basically gives you the ability to add a news feed, weather, and a lot of other things to your lock screen. You can add gestures which will do certain things, such as a two finger swipe will bring back up your previous app, or tap with three fingers to make a phone call, and so on and so forth. If you want your iPhone to look or act in a certain way, you have that ability with a jailbroken phone. The further you get into it, the better it gets.

2. 3G/4G Unrestrictor: One of my personal favorites. There are certain things you can only do when in range of wi-fi, such as FaceTime and downloading large apps or files. This app removes those restrictions and you are free to use the full functionality of the phone wherever you may be. I'm also going to throw MyWi into this category. Turn your iPhone into a Wi-Fi hotspot for your laptop. Since I have an unlimited data plan, there's really no limit as to how much I can use my computer connected to the internet through my iPhone. Anywhere you have 3G/4G service, you can now connect your laptop to the internet.

3. File Transfer: You can get certain apps on both your phone and your computer which allow for seemless file transfer between the two. Unlike syncing, there are no restrictions on what types of files you can transfer. Your phone becomes much more like a computer, in that you can open, view, edit, play, and listen to whatever type of file you want. I add gameboy ROMS to my phone and play them through an emulator. I believe there are now emulators for several gaming systems such as playstation, xbox, and so on. You can buy the ROMS for these online through various sources. You can organize your files however you like in folders, and if you REALLY know what your doing, you can edit iPhone system files. Delete some unnecessary files and speed up your phone while increasing battery life. It really can make a huge difference.

If, in the end, you decide all this stuff isn't for you or you worry about the health of your phone, it is very simple to unjailbreak and restore your phone back to how it is today. There's really no reason not to try it. Most people kick themselves in the butt for not doing it sooner.

I was an Iphone owner for 4 or 5 years. I eventually jailbroke every Iphone I had.

I recently switched to the samsung galaxy note. Never thought I would say this, but I don't think I could go back to an Iphone now. The bolded in your above post is the main reason. The Note is much more like a small computer that makes phone calls.

A jail broken phone is the only way to go for an Iphone owner. The restrictions apple puts on the phone almost make it worthless if you don't jailbreak it.

Yeah, it took me about 5 minutes to jailbreak my son's. I left the program on his computer. I agree with what was said earlier in the post. It's worth it to try it out. Back up your iPhone. Jailbreak it. If you don't like it then restore it to the backup. Easy as all get out.

The jailbroke Siri is amazing. So much better. The real time scores and game times are awesome. :lol:

I have her telling regular jokes, awesome facts, daily art pictures that you can save to your phone and Chuck Norris jokes now. :lol: I could change her to a male voice that is in US English but I have to pay for that app. Haven't bought any apps yet.