Jailbreaking an iPhone

BleedBlue12

I'm probably going to jailbreak my 4S when the new release comes out this week. I haven't had a jailbroken phone in a couple of years though, so could anyone that has one offer some apps I should get through Cydia? For the life of me, I can't remember what all I used to have and I know they have released a lot of new apps for the 4S that I know nothing about.

Help is much appreciated.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I opened this thread back up because I understand this is in fact legal. If I am wrong please set me straight?

:lol: I didn't even notice you shut it down. Yes it is definitely legal and very common these days.

Jail breaking is legal now but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Legal- customizing phone and adding different tweaks to it.

Illegal- basically downloading any paid app for free.

I'm not into the whole downloading apps illegally thing. I pay for all of my apps. Cydia offers a much greater selection though, and can really open up the capabilities of the phone. It's amazing how much functionality the iPhone is capable of, but Apple hides a lot of it.

Can someone explain what kind of apps Cydia has and why should I jailbreak my iPhone? Will it ruin my iPhone?

Here's a pretty good article with some of the top apps from Cydia. 3G Unrestrictor is one of my favorites.

If you just google "Best Cydia Apps" or "Why should I jailbreak" you can really learn a lot about the perks of jailbreaking.

As far as ruining your iPhone, I wouldn't worry about it at all. A few years ago that used to be a problem, but the jailbreak developers have pretty much perfected the process and I haven't heard of any problems for a long time now. It's also very easy to do. Just make sure you backup your phone beforehand.

It's my understanding that you can never receive any phone updates once you jailbreak an Iphone.

This is not particularly true. They release jailbreak updates for each iOS update. It may take a little longer because you have to re-jailbreak with the new software after you update your phone and you may have to wait a few weeks for the new jailbreak software after the iOS update has been released, but the extra effort is worth it IMO.

At one point Apple would not do ANYTHING to help you if your phone was jailbroken. Not sure about now...

Backup phone before jailbreak, perform system restore before you take it to Apple. I've actually had to do it before (cracked my screen) and they took my old phone and gave me a new one.

Keep us posted on how the jailbreak is and how to do it. I am intrigued.

Will do. The release is "supposed" to be tomorrow. Delays happen all the time with these kinds of things though, so we'll see if it actually does.