Jailbreaking an iPhone

BleedBlue12

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys! I've been a little pre-occupied messing around with my phone. I'm going to upload some pics of the theme I just edited.

Glad you got it jailbroken PP92. It isn't so hard, is it?? I'll still put up the links and instructions for others.

Then, I'll go over the apps I've downloaded so far and get into some detail about how to do some things. Stay tuned folks...

To kind of give you all an idea of customization capabilities, here's a shot of my homescreen:

Screen.jpg

The picture on the top left is actually part of a slideshow that continuously plays in that spot. I replaced the default nature pics with some of my own and it really wasn't THAT difficult to do. The weather widget updates automatically as well.

Here's a shot of the phone screen:

Screen 2.jpg

You can change the AT&T logo to say whatever you want, as you can see in this picture.

There's TONS of themes you can download through Cydia. Speaking of which... Next post will explain the process of obtaining Cydia through jailbreaking.

To jailbreak your phone, follow this procedure as closely as possible:

1. Go to this link.

2. Depending on your operating software, choose the appropriate download link from that website. You will see DOWNLOAD ABSINTHE 2.0.1 with 3 links below it. Choose the correct one for your system and download the program. It will be in a .zip file.

3. Once the file is downloaded, open the .zip file. There is a readme.txt file in that folder. Follow those instructions to the letter! Basically, all it tells you to do is drag the .exe file you see to desktop and double click it on the desktop. A terminal will pop up on your screen and begin doing it's thing. Once that window closes, there will be a new folder on your desktop called absinthe-win-2.0.1.

4. BEFORE MOVING ON IN THE JAILBREAKING PROCESS, BACK UP YOUR iPhone IN iTunes!!! Connect your phone, open iTunes, right click the name of your phone on the left hand side, and click where it says backup. Let it create the backup before moving on. Once that process has finished, you may now close iTunes, but keep your phone connected to the computer. I can't stress enough how important this backup is.

5. Go back to your desktop and open your new folder you obtained in step 3. Double click where it says "absinthe". This will open the jailbreaking program and you are ready to begin. Click the jailbreak button and sit tight. It will take awhile to complete. Just leave it alone until it says it's done!

6. Once finished, you should now have a Cydia app on your iPhone. This means your phone has officially been jailbroken. ENJOY!!!

7. Feel free to connect back to iTunes and restore your phone from the backup you just created.

Here is another link that describes the above procedures and has a trouble shooting guide in case something goes wrong. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on here.

Okay. I am jailbroke and have the Cydia app on my phone. Now what do I do? Am I am developer, hacker or user? Help please. :D

:lol: Hopefully you figured out that you are a User. Feel free to explore the apps on there. I'm about to upload a list of the ones I've downloaded so far.

OK, so once you have Cydia the possibilities of what to do next are pretty much endless.

1. Open the Cydia app and let it finish downloading it's data. Feel free to look through the FAQ's on the main page to get an understanding of how it works. (Rule#1 - Don't freak out by how your phone is about to act when you start downloading apps from Cydia. It's a lot different from the regular App Store.)

2. Go do a search for the following apps: SBSettings, Winterboard, 3G Unrestrictor (costs a couple dollars I think, but it's the best app money can buy), iFile, and CyDelete. These are the MAIN apps you'll need and want for your jailbroken phone. Install all of them.

Note: If the app does not install properly, don't freak. Right now there are TONS of people trying to download apps because of the new jailbreak release. Just keep trying to install until it completes.

3. Once you have these apps installed, you can start searching around for other apps. Go to the tab called "Sections" and look through the apps. Any theme you download can be used through Winterboard (which is the main customization app). If you see a theme you like, just download, install, and open up Winterboard. Click on "Select Themes" and choose the theme you wish to use. Then close out of the app by hitting the home button, and your phone will respring to update to the new theme. Play around with themes as much as you want until you find something you like.

4. SBSettings works by sliding your finger across the status bar at the top from left to right. The settings will pop down and you can now toggle wi-fi, 3G, bluetooth, adjust your brightness, and so forth from there. You can respring, power off, refresh, and even free up memory by closing unused processes.

5. I have typed entirely too much... Need a quick break. :lol:

Okay. I have got this going on from sbsettings....

image-234972614.jpg

Just keep trying to download it? I have no idea what that warning means and it is keeping me from installing it. I can't figure out where I am supposed to enable my notifications via the settings.....

Don't worry, it's not really a warning. If you haven't got it installed yet, just keep trying. I personally wouldn't even worry about the notification thing. All that means is that you can have the toggles show up in your notification center. Kind of pointless I think, but I'd you want to do it go to: Settings>Notifications>SBSettings and enable it. You can't do that until the app is installed though.

How's the jailbreak treating ya? What all apps have you gotten?

I have downloaded dtunes and here is my folder so far.....

image-3705918958.jpg

I have downloaded a bunch of themes and I put the t mobile ringtone on my text messages also. :lol:

Some of my songs from my iPod app don't play but Pandora still plays so it's all good.