Jailbreaking an iPhone

BleedBlue12

Jail breaking is legal now but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Legal- customizing phone and adding different tweaks to it.

Illegal- basically downloading any paid app for free.

I think you are the one getting ahead of ourselves. No one said anything about downloading paid apps for free until you did in this post. :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be the top 3 reasons for someone to do this?

It's really hard to narrow it down to three top reasons because it's more of a combination of a bunch of smaller things. I'll try to give a quick three though:

1. Full Customization: Themes, animations, customized status bars, lock screens, etc. When I had a jailbroken phone awhile back, I had the Android lock screen which I loved. I just read about a new one that is facial recognition to unlock your phone which I plan on trying out. You can also add Intelliscreen which basically gives you the ability to add a news feed, weather, and a lot of other things to your lock screen. You can add gestures which will do certain things, such as a two finger swipe will bring back up your previous app, or tap with three fingers to make a phone call, and so on and so forth. If you want your iPhone to look or act in a certain way, you have that ability with a jailbroken phone. The further you get into it, the better it gets.

2. 3G/4G Unrestrictor: One of my personal favorites. There are certain things you can only do when in range of wi-fi, such as FaceTime and downloading large apps or files. This app removes those restrictions and you are free to use the full functionality of the phone wherever you may be. I'm also going to throw MyWi into this category. Turn your iPhone into a Wi-Fi hotspot for your laptop. Since I have an unlimited data plan, there's really no limit as to how much I can use my computer connected to the internet through my iPhone. Anywhere you have 3G/4G service, you can now connect your laptop to the internet.

3. File Transfer: You can get certain apps on both your phone and your computer which allow for seemless file transfer between the two. Unlike syncing, there are no restrictions on what types of files you can transfer. Your phone becomes much more like a computer, in that you can open, view, edit, play, and listen to whatever type of file you want. I add gameboy ROMS to my phone and play them through an emulator. I believe there are now emulators for several gaming systems such as playstation, xbox, and so on. You can buy the ROMS for these online through various sources. You can organize your files however you like in folders, and if you REALLY know what your doing, you can edit iPhone system files. Delete some unnecessary files and speed up your phone while increasing battery life. It really can make a huge difference.

If, in the end, you decide all this stuff isn't for you or you worry about the health of your phone, it is very simple to unjailbreak and restore your phone back to how it is today. There's really no reason not to try it. Most people kick themselves in the butt for not doing it sooner.

Absinthe 2.0 has been released!! I've been waiting on this for awhile now, and since I'm at work I feel like a kid in Christmas Eve. :lol:

I should be jailbroken by around 6 this evening. Already looked at the instructions and it's a VERY simple process. I'll test it out before I give the link though. I'll also try to post whatever apps I download with descriptions.

Absinthe 2.0 has been released!! I've been waiting on this for awhile now, and since I'm at work I feel like a kid in Christmas Eve. :lol:

I should be jailbroken by around 6 this evening. Already looked at the instructions and it's a VERY simple process. I'll test it out before I give the link though. I'll also try to post whatever apps I download with descriptions.

Thanks man. Keep us posted. This is intriguing to me.

It's really hard to narrow it down to three top reasons because it's more of a combination of a bunch of smaller things. I'll try to give a quick three though:

1. Full Customization: Themes, animations, customized status bars, lock screens, etc. When I had a jailbroken phone awhile back, I had the Android lock screen which I loved. I just read about a new one that is facial recognition to unlock your phone which I plan on trying out. You can also add Intelliscreen which basically gives you the ability to add a news feed, weather, and a lot of other things to your lock screen. You can add gestures which will do certain things, such as a two finger swipe will bring back up your previous app, or tap with three fingers to make a phone call, and so on and so forth. If you want your iPhone to look or act in a certain way, you have that ability with a jailbroken phone. The further you get into it, the better it gets.

2. 3G/4G Unrestrictor: One of my personal favorites. There are certain things you can only do when in range of wi-fi, such as FaceTime and downloading large apps or files. This app removes those restrictions and you are free to use the full functionality of the phone wherever you may be. I'm also going to throw MyWi into this category. Turn your iPhone into a Wi-Fi hotspot for your laptop. Since I have an unlimited data plan, there's really no limit as to how much I can use my computer connected to the internet through my iPhone. Anywhere you have 3G/4G service, you can now connect your laptop to the internet.

3. File Transfer: You can get certain apps on both your phone and your computer which allow for seemless file transfer between the two. Unlike syncing, there are no restrictions on what types of files you can transfer. Your phone becomes much more like a computer, in that you can open, view, edit, play, and listen to whatever type of file you want. I add gameboy ROMS to my phone and play them through an emulator. I believe there are now emulators for several gaming systems such as playstation, xbox, and so on. You can buy the ROMS for these online through various sources. You can organize your files however you like in folders, and if you REALLY know what your doing, you can edit iPhone system files. Delete some unnecessary files and speed up your phone while increasing battery life. It really can make a huge difference.

If, in the end, you decide all this stuff isn't for you or you worry about the health of your phone, it is very simple to unjailbreak and restore your phone back to how it is today. There's really no reason not to try it. Most people kick themselves in the butt for not doing it sooner.

If you have AT&T this may not be entirely true. If you use too much they may throttle your data download speed.

No doubt. I may follow suit and see what's up. Thanks for the info.

Ok, NOW I am interested.

I too am very intrigued by this. I have a 3 year old 3GS and seriously considering this. What are the cons?

Cons:

So many awesome apps, it's easy to eventually big down iPhone performance because you just want to keep adding stuff.

There are occasional glitches, at least there used to be. They may have fixed them since then, but I'm not sure yet. By glitches I mean your app just shutting off or freezing occasionally. This is usually caused by con #1 above. Can be avoided by making sure your phone isn't doing too much at once. All it requires to fix is a quick re-spring (Like a reboot, but much quicker. You'll catch on if you do it.).

Other than that, I really can't think of any other cons right now. Some would say your warranty doesn't cover a jailbroken iPhone, but that's why you just unjailbreak before you take it in to Apple.

I'll be able to give a more thorough evaluation once I get mine done and play around with it some.

Cons:

So many awesome apps, it's easy to eventually big down iPhone performance because you just want to keep adding stuff.

There are occasional glitches, at least there used to be. They may have fixed them since then, but I'm not sure yet. By glitches I mean your app just shutting off or freezing occasionally. This is usually caused by con #1 above. Can be avoided by making sure your phone isn't doing too much at once. All it requires to fix is a quick re-spring (Like a reboot, but much quicker. You'll catch on if you do it.).

Other than that, I really can't think of any other cons right now. Some would say your warranty doesn't cover a jailbroken iPhone, but that's why you just unjailbreak before you take it in to Apple.

I'll be able to give a more thorough evaluation once I get mine done and play around with it some.

Hell most of my apps lock up now. As far as warranty, mines been in the review for 2 years now.