NCAA Title Game Makes Strong Statement about HS Football

Toothpick

Watching the title game I noticed that all but 2 0f the starting 22 (offense and defense) for Texas were from Texas and all but 4 of USC's starters were from Calf. It was like watching a TX vs CA all star game. Both are large states with large populations, is the best HS talent from these two states? I think it makes atleast a strong case. It was amazing to see that many homegrown kids playing for schools of this caliber. U of L and UK obviously have no where near this level of local talent but that is to be expected given the small population of the state. I could not start to imagine what the TX and CA HS all star teams must be like if such exists. Anyone know if they have all star teams in these states and if so who do they play and how have they done?

Watching the title game I noticed that all but 2 0f the starting 22 (offense and defense) for Texas were from Texas and all but 4 of USC's starters were from Calf. It was like watching a TX vs CA all star game. Both are large states with large populations, is the best HS talent from these two states? I think it makes atleast a strong case. It was amazing to see that many homegrown kids playing for schools of this caliber. U of L and UK obviously have no where near this level of local talent but that is to be expected given the small population of the state. I could not start to imagine what the TX and CA HS all star teams must be like if such exists. Anyone know if they have all star teams in these states and if so who do they play and how have they done?

The sunshine state might have something to say about their HS football.

There are 46 players from Texas on Oklahoma's roster.

Lots of the best players in Texas go outside the state to play in college.

FLA has wonderfule football talent. However, it gets split up among 3 powerhouses. Texas probably does a pretty good job of beating out A&M and Tech for the best talent.

FLA has wonderfule football talent. However, it gets split up among 3 powerhouses. Texas probably does a pretty good job of beating out A&M and Tech for the best talent.

Oklahoma is their biggest foe as far as recruiting the state of Texas.

Adrian Peterson, still arguably the best player in college football, is from the state of Texas.

A college coach I trust told me one time that while the talent in Fla. is unbelievable, the high school COACHING leaves a lot to be desired.

Stated that GEORGIA in comparison though has VERY well-trained and fundamentally-sound football players. Probably not by coincidence, Georgia recently began paying their football coaches almost as well as TEXAS -- who has by far the best-compensated coaches.

His thinking was that the increase in pay pulled the BEST coaches out of Florida up to Georgia.

Incidentally, he also told me he thought KENTUCKY coaches probably do a better job coaching than just about anywhere in that he felt we got more out of our players' talent (both in developing their fundamentals and in being sound in our schemes) than coaches in states with lots more talent. Maybe this has been proven out with the recent results of the Ky.-Tenn. All-Star games.

Again, these aren't my opinions; they're his...but a pretty good compliment for what's going on in this state in football I thought from someone impartial (they coach at an out-of-state D-1 school).

'Pick, I played HS football in Northern California. The level of competition there is unbelievable. Of course, a 1600 student school there is considered Class AA. Even the Class A schools field entire freshmen teams with 40 players who play a full 8 game schedule, a separate JV team with sophomores and a few juniors, 60 men roster, that play a 10 game schedule, and then full varsity teams with another 60 juniors and seniors with a couple sophomores, that play a 10 game schedule with a 4 week playoff.

Northern California football is not even close to as good as Southern California football, and in Los Angeles they have schools that are Class 7A.

Kentucky high school football is 20 years behind those states. I have watched Trinity play a few times, and they would be competetive against the 3A schools in Northern California. I think Trinity may have even tried to schedule a game against DeLaSalle at one time. There is nobody here that can play with the schools in San Diego and Los Angeles. There may be a couple of other KY teams that would play competetively out in N.Ca., but overall the level of competition there is vastly superior to KY, even at the level of the mediocre teams.

California has a ton of people, and the public schools out there are absolutely teeming with talent. I would say that Texas and probably Florida are the same.

At one time I filled out a spread sheet with a focus of seeing which states had the most potentail to recruit from.

What I did was divide the total US poputlation by 119 (the number of D-1 schools) and surmised that for all things to be equal (although we know they are not) for around every 2 million people a state has that they would be able to support a football team. Then I compared that to the number of people each state has and the number of D-1 schools in that state. One thing that I found was the California was the state most lacking in number of schools per population. California is missing 7 D-1 schools to be average.

Kentucky BTW was dead even in the number of schools it should have.