South Laurel at Henry Clay

Jim Schue

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few key points I'm looking for:

Can South duplicate their home performance from the last two Fridays on the road, where they have struggled at times?

Henry Clay is a fast, talented and deep team that put together a monster performance against Whitley. How does South deal with that?

What kind of boost will HC get from finally getting to play at home -- it had to help next week.

How does HC deal with Marcum? How does SL deal with Simpson?

Was HC's loss to Lafayette a fluke? South is riding high on confidence, and feel like if they can beat Lafayette, there's no reason they can't beat Henry Clay.

Anything else I'm missing?

A few key points I'm looking for:

Can South duplicate their home performance from the last two Fridays on the road, where they have struggled at times?

Henry Clay is a fast, talented and deep team that put together a monster performance against Whitley. How does South deal with that?

What kind of boost will HC get from finally getting to play at home -- it had to help next week.

How does HC deal with Marcum? How does SL deal with Simpson?

Was HC's loss to Lafayette a fluke? South is riding high on confidence, and feel like if they can beat Lafayette, there's no reason they can't beat Henry Clay.

Anything else I'm missing?

Don't these two teams run the same offense? If so, how much will that help each team's defense?

Don't these two teams run the same offense? If so, how much will that help each team's defense?

Not sure about that. I know it's pretty similar. I would think that if it was the same, just with different terminology, that it would aid the defense as far as recognition of plays/formations/situations.

Henry Clay is just too big, fast, and talented. SL has had a good run so far but the Blue Devils will be too much.

HC- 35

SL-14

The last time that I saw Henry Clay play a team from this area was back in 2000. I remember thinking the same thing that you stated, they are too big, too fast and too talented(they had 2 big time div-1 recruits) for the Redhounds. Corbin went on to win that game by a score of 21-10. Henry Clay went on to lose to Trinity in the regional finals that year.

Maybe they overlooked Corbin and it was just a regular season game, but the same thing could happen Friday if South Laurel plays their game offensively and forces Henry Clay to sustain long drives to score. But if South goes out onto the field intimidated, they will be in for a long night similar to the Whitley Co. game last week.

Whitley has played both and to honest Whitley whipped SL everywhere but the score board. Now I know that is where it counts and my hats off to South Laurel for that game and winning to get to this game, and I certainly would love to see them win........

BUT..........

Henry Clay is good, No they are better than good. Their noseguard is the best player defensive I have seen all year, he has speed strength and plays really smart. He makes plays all over. Their secondary FLYS to the football and when they do make a mistake defensively, they have the speed to correct it. They are big, fast and well coached. Offensively they are fast and have all kinds of weapons. #27 can run the rock, and he can catch. #7 is fast and runs solid routes and can move with the ball after the catch. Plus Simpson is one cool customer, he stood in and took some hits from Whitley and still completed the pass. He can throw on the run and he can run it.

To win SL will have to go vertical and get some yards, but I don't see that happening. Seriously Whitley held them to under 100 yards passing, but just made mistakes selling out to stop the pass and forgot the run. Henry Clay won't make that same mistake becuase they have enough athletes to stop both.

Henry Clay wins by a comfortable margin, and they may be what ever they want it to be..........