3A #3 Ashland at 3A #7 Russell Predictions/Updates

GOREDDEVILS

Who wins?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Ashland travels to Russell's Henry R. Evans stadium Friday night for a big District matchup to possibly determine the #1 seed. Ashland comes in at 6-1 and Russell comes in at 6-1. They have two common opponents in Ironton,Ohio and Raceland. Russell defeated Raceland 41-0, Ashland defeated Raceland 26-0; Russell lost 10-0 to Ironton, Ashland defeated Ironton 16-10 in overtime. This will be the best matchup in NEKY and possibly all of Class 3A. All eyes will be on this game in 3A.

Who gets the win?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be a really good game. Russell and Ashland are a lot alike. Both teams have two really good backs, good offensive and defensive lines, and not much of a passing game. I'm going to give Russell the edge in this one because they are playing at home, and I believe they are a little more physical than Ashland, and possibly a little more hungry given how this series has gone the last few years. I believe Ashland has won the last 4.

Russell 21

Ashland 13

I expect this one to be a very physical, low scoring game. Russell's defense is among the best I've seen locally in the past ten or so years. I feel like they keep Ashlands backfield in check and get the win.

Russell - 14

Ashland - 7

Russell passing game has looked better over the past couple games. They will need to pass enough to keep Ashland honest in this game. If they can't complete a few passes Running will be tough against the Ashland defense.

Russell's QB throws a good ball. Ashland will stay honest on defense regardless imo.. This game will be decided by a war in the trenches, imo. The best oline or dline wins the game.

This has been a very good - sometimes great - rivalry over the decades. Maybe the best in NEKY. But Ashland has won four in a row and 10 of the last 11. The past decade is the most one sided the series has been since the 60's. Being back in the same district adds another layer of significance and a few more degrees of intensity that may, for Russell's sake, steer the rivalry back in a more competitive direction.

This feels like a good time for the Devils to turn the series around. They're as good, or better, than they've been since the mid-2000's, but it's going to take a season best effort to beat this Ashland team. From preparation to execution to blocking and tackling, Russell needs to be on point.

These teams are similar in certain ways - they're good up front and like to lead with the running game, but the Tomcats will have a big edge in speed. Ashland's backs just need a sliver of space to hurt you. Russell has to be disciplined in their assignments and to run to the ball.

Anytime I'm expecting a close game, I go with my heart. Right now it's telling me Russell in a classic. In a game like this, TJ might be persuaded to utilize Gabe Floyd's leg if Russell finds itself in a fourth down scenario deep in Ashland territory. That hasn't happened yet this season, but the stakes are higher in this series than they've been in ages. You've gotta take the points where you can get them sometimes.

Russell 24

Ashland 21

Some friendly posturing before tomorrow's showdown, courtesy of Cross Section, a sports talk show on MyTownTv.

I don't look for the players or the mood on the field to be as affable tomorrow night.

[ATTACH]69140[/ATTACH]

The picture was lifted from MyTownTv's twitter account.

I wouldn't want to pick a fight with Tony Love. The humor in this picture is great though. Glad to see that two coaches of that stature can joke around a bit prior to the big game though.

I wouldn't want to pick a fight with Tony Love. The humor in this picture is great though. Glad to see that two coaches of that stature can joke around a bit prior to the big game though.

I'd take TJ in a fight against Love.:taz: I agree, I like that they could have fun with this picture prior to the game.