Kings Island's "Vortex" is closing

Randy Parker

It opened in 1987 as the tallest, full-circuit roller coaster with the highest drop in the world and the first roller coaster in the world with six inversions, but in the coming weeks Kings Island’s Vortex steel roller coaster will be closing for good.

Kings Island: Vortex roller coaster is closing

I remember the first time riding this, we went on it three times. Always loved the loops & corkscrews. Hard to believe it's been open for over thirty years, but it seemed like it became one of the roughest rides in the park.

Will you miss it or does it not really matter to you?

I agree with everyone, I thought the Vortex was rough and not much fun.

I still always liked it. I remember going to Kings Island for P&G Dividend Day when the park was closed to the public...it was a drizzly Friday night that year and the park was an absolute ghost town. We got to ride it 4 times straight without even having to get up out of our seats.

I still always liked it. I remember going to Kings Island for P&G Dividend Day when the park was closed to the public...it was a drizzly Friday night that year and the park was an absolute ghost town. We got to ride it 4 times straight without even having to get up out of our seats.

Now that you put it that way CWB...

Pretty wild thinking that the Vortex was the world's tallest roller coaster and had the longest roller coaster drop in the world when it opened....and now Cedar Point alone has 6 coasters that are taller and have longer drops.

Kings Island's Banshee and Diamondback are the only current roller coasters taller than the Vortex at the park.