What percent of your male population plays football?

barrel

I was having a discussion about high school roster numbers. Football numbers have dropped some over the years in some areas. What used to be considered good numbers might not still be true today. The title states the question.

On the high school level, what percentage of your male population is playing football?

According to KHSAA 2018, Beechwood had 233 boys in top 4 grades. By the looks at game night, I would guess about 60 boys dress varsity and I would further guess there might probably be another 15 frosh not dressing. That puts the participation at roughly 30-35% range. Would further guess the rest are in the band or homestands on game night.

According to KHSAA 2018, Beechwood had 233 boys in top 4 grades. By the looks at game night, I would guess about 60 boys dress varsity and I would further guess there might probably be another 15 frosh not dressing. That puts the participation at roughly 30-35% range. Would further guess the rest are in the band or homestands on game night.

Beechwood had 62 players on their 2018 roster posted on KHSAA.org. Of those 62, 22 were freshmen.

Beechwood's roster last year was 62, including 22 freshmen. If those enrollment numbers are correct, that's about 26% participation. Probably among the highest in the state.

If you're looking for absurdly high participation numbers, look north to Ohio. It's not uncommon for some of their lower division powerhouses to have 50% or more of their boys playing football. Marion Local had a roster in the low 70's last season and a male enrollment of just over 100. Wheelersburg, which is a local team for me, had 76 kids out for football last season from a male enrollment of 158. I couldn't imagine numbers like that at any school in Kentucky.

I would guess 10% for SK.

Simon Kenton's average male enrollment figure for the last 4 years is 870.5, and the roster has hovered around 88 or 90...so right around 10.2%, yeah.

You can reference the KHSAA's average enrollment numbers for the last 4 years HERE and the actual total enrollment numbers (male and female combined) HERE.

Beechwood's roster last year was 62, including 22 freshmen. If those enrollment numbers are correct, that's about 26% participation. Probably among the highest in the state.

Beechwood has always had high participation numbers for the football program. I grew up in Fort Mitchell. My younger brother went to Cov Cath, but when his group of friends at Beechwood were seniors during the 2000 football season, they had all but 6 of the males in their class playing football...the 6 who didn't play would go shirtless to the games, with the letters to spell out "TIGERS" painted on their chest. That season there were two games where one of them couldn't make it, so they were only the Beechwood Tiger for those two games.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

So far for the most it’s what I expected. The better programs have large percentages though I didn’t expect some of them to be that high. I wonder what mid tier team percentages are.

What Engli has done at Montgomery County is pretty impressive getting his numbers up.