Cov Cath 20 Wins Streak in Jeopardy

I am moving this discussion into its own thread. See this link for background and comments already made in another thread:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-baseball-high/campbell-county-8-378493.html

I believe the consecutive seasons of 20 wins or more for Covington Catholic baseball currently stands at 32 years. A tough start to this season places that streak in serious jeopardy. Comments in the other thread linked above speculate that part of the reason for the bad start is players quitting baseball because of the coach.

Will Covington Catholic be able to get to 20 wins this year and keep the streak alive?

Is the bad start, which puts the streak in jeopardy, because of problems in the program and players quitting?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I go through their schedule it looks like they will be right around that 17-18 mark on games they SHOULD win. That doesn't factor in rain or winning/losing games they aren't supposed to.

They have two games listed as TBA, who knows who fills those.

I'd say it will be close and the streak is very much in jeopardy.

Streaks should be something that happen, rather than something that you are held responsible for to produce.

You form a team, practice, do your best, and at the end of the season look back and see what you did or did not accomplish. I doubt sincerely that this Colonels team got together one day, decided to underachieve in the eyes of their fans, and are simply going through the motion of playing games, with no regard to the storied tradition of winning 20 games or more on an annual basis.

Our (Brossart) basketball program found itself in a similar situation two seasons back. We were in a position where we had not had a losing season in 23 years, then suddenly the roster came up young, and our 2016-17 team came up short. I always felt that this particular team felt that they had let the program down, and that having a losing season was a negative reflection on them personally.

CovCath, a school of nearly 600 boys, should certainly be in position on an almost-annual basis to produce 20 wins, but obviously sometimes it might not happen, and if not, the only expectation should be that the following year's team should make every effort to start a new streak.

Suddenly 9-9, beat a decent Anderson, OH team and you're 10-9, halfway to 20. Bellevue, Holmes, Dixie and St. Henry the rest of this week. CovCath may be sitting at 14 wins before throwing a pitch Monday. 14 games after that point, and you have to figure on at least 1 win in districts.

Shutting out a decent SK team has me feeling much more optimistic on the streak continuing.

It is going to be close. I can see 7-8 games I think should be wins. That gets them within 3-4 wins. If they can get a couple wins versus those tough opponents, then they will get a win in the districts. It is looking close. Rainouts could factor in. Is Casteel going to be able to pitch this season? If they get him back, the 20 win odds increase a lot.

Don't look now, but CovCath is 15-11. The rest of their schedule is below.

5-1- Conner

5-3- Dixie

5-4- Boone Co.

5-7- Beechwood

5-8- Highlands

5-9- Brossart

5-10- TBA

5-11- TBA

5-13- Campbell Co.

5-14- NCC

5-16- Simon Kenton

5-17- Ryle

Districts

Region

State

Casteel should be back.

Don't look now, but CovCath is 15-11. The rest of their schedule is below.

5-1- Conner

5-3- Dixie

5-4- Boone Co.

5-7- Beechwood

5-8- Highlands

5-9- Brossart

5-10- TBA

5-11- TBA

5-13- Campbell Co.

5-14- NCC

5-16- Simon Kenton

5-17- Ryle

Districts

Region

State

The Cooper win was a big one.

Casteel pitched the final 2 innings in that one.

Twenty wins is looking much more likely. Not a sure thing at all but I think the Colonels get it done.

What’s the KHSAA mandated max for regular season games? I’d assume that in-season tournaments count against that max as well?

I was told it's 36 games, but I've seen nothing official.

If 36 is max and assuming Mother Nature cooperates, they’d have to play .500 ball to finish with 20 before Districts. They definitely have some tough opponents down the stretch.

It is 36, and the in season tournament games do count against it. That is a good point that I hadn't considered.

It is 36, and the in season tournament games do count against it. That is a good point that I hadn't considered.

In season tournaments count on the total, post season games do not count in the 36 total.