High School Today vs. 10 (or more) Years Ago

hoops5

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious about your thoughts on how high schools look today compared to 10 or more years ago.

What are the major changes in structure, instructional practices, scheduling, etc?

And...GO!

One of the things I liked about Boone County was their partnership with Gateway College which ultimately resulted in one less year of college for my daughter.

In other words, schools thinking outside the box and doing what is in the best interests of students.

I graduated Bishop Brossart in 91 an its night & day to what it is now. Building additions are state of the art and the sports are on another level than when I attended. The addition of "The Mac" will only help improve its growth.

One of the things I liked about Boone County was their partnership with Gateway College which ultimately resulted in one less year of college for my daughter.

In other words, schools thinking outside the box and doing what is in the best interests of students.

Same for my daughter, she has 36 hours completed at Somerset Community College (KCTCS) while in high school. Hoping that cuts a year of tuition/housing at UK out!

One of the biggest differences is that students can walk out of high school as a sophomore in college. They are no longer taking electives and instead are taking college classes either on-line or with a college professor coming to the school.

I graduated Bishop Brossart in 91 an its night & day to what it is now. Building additions are state of the art and the sports are on another level than when I attended. The addition of "The Mac" will only help improve its growth.

What is the Mac?

As someone who works on a college campus in a financial institution, we have to get financial literacy requirements in high school like yesterday...

So apparently, Algebra 2 is being removed as a required course for graduation. While 4 math credits will still be required to graduate, once the mandatory Algebra 1 and Geometry courses are completed, students would have room in their schedule for financial literacy. And maybe that would become a mandatory course for graduation.

Same for my daughter, she has 36 hours completed at Somerset Community College (KCTCS) while in high school. Hoping that cuts a year of tuition/housing at UK out!

One of the biggest differences is that students can walk out of high school as a sophomore in college. They are no longer taking electives and instead are taking college classes either on-line or with a college professor coming to the school.

This is an absolutely great feature, but it does not come without a cost. It seems schools have developed such a bad case of tunnel vision (focused on college) that they are blind to everything else. Thank goodness there's still some schools out there that offer vocational school classes, but home-ec, wood shop, metal shop and other courses that used to be taught are all pretty much extinct. It seems to me it's become pretty much a college or nothing type of situation.