What is a school's Most Important factor to winning at the HS level?

This is open to discussion...

Obviously you can't win on a consistent basis without multiple variables. But what would you consider the top component, or the main building block, to having a winning program? Examples like...

- HS Player Talent

- Quality Feeder Programs

- Elite X's & O's Head Coach

- Elite Relational Head Coach

- Tight Community (love, hard work, accountability)

- Financial Support

- Impressive Facilities

- Etc

I would rank them in this order, as I think all are important.

1) Relational Head Coach

2) Talent

3) X/O's

4) Feeder programs/Community

6) Facilities/Financial support

I believe you cannot win consistently without talent, but if you have a ton of talent and no player desire to win for a coach then you will fall short. Also, a coach that builds great chemistry can overcome being a little short on the talent side.

X's and O's are very important as you can be extremely talented, but if you cannot put players in the right places to perform at their best based on their skill set you are not going to win. Opposite can be said about less talented players being put in the right places via game planning, etc.

I tie feeder programs and community together as I feel any quality feeder program you find is going to be tied into a tight community.

Facilities and financial support are tied directly together.

I think along with having talented kids that are able to compete, the parents of those talented kids need to be "on the team" as well.

If the coach can get the kids AND parents to buy in you stand a great chance of success. Players and parents need to "pull in the same direction".

I answered quickly with one word. Talent. I believe that, but I also think at the high school level a good relationship with the community and students, plus a solid system of Xs and Os can win a lot games in most districts and regions in the state. A solid defensive minded system, along nice offensive sets that maximize the team year to year will win a lot, especially in high school. With all that being said, I want talent above all else.

It's easy, talent at the high school level. One super talented kid can literally carry a team for an entire season. That said there are a few teams that are in the mix year in and year out, due to great coaching. So I'd put X's and O's a close second when determining what is the most important.

• 2 weeks later...

You can have all the other things, but if you don't have talent, you won't go far. Talent is the most important, then depending on the talent, the other variables will be what takes the program to the next level.

It depends on what people define as “talent”. Most people think talent means good athletes. That definitely helps, but you must also develop kids who have great basketball skills. It starts with making the most of what you have and developing your program from the ground up (elementary and middle school). Also, the other factors discussed here previously. Great thread and discussion.