Cleveland 17 Denver 16

statman

The Browns defense was good early in the season. Then many injuries rendered the defense suspect, but Mayfield was keeping them in games and winning some. The running game was very mediocre early on. Chubb has had some nice games and his contribution was key this week. But the biggest story is the way Baker Mayfield has led this team. He is the reason they are now winning games and not losing close games. He is rightly being highlighted in media stories. And, no, it is not all him.

I think the coaching staff deserves some credit. Ever since Jackson and Haley were canned, the offense has been going much better and Mayfield's production has gone way up. I don't have the figures in front of me, but TDs and QBR are up. Completion percentage probably made the biggest jump with Kitchens as OC and calling the plays instead of Haley.

The Browns defense was good early in the season. Then many injuries rendered the defense suspect, but Mayfield was keeping them in games and winning some. The running game was very mediocre early on. Chubb has had some nice games and his contribution was key this week. But the biggest story is the way Baker Mayfield has led this team. He is the reason they are now winning games and not losing close games. He is rightly being highlighted in media stories. And, no, it is not all him.

I think the coaching staff deserves some credit. Ever since Jackson and Haley were canned, the offense has been going much better and Mayfield's production has gone way up. I don't have the figures in front of me, but TDs and QBR are up. Completion percentage probably made the biggest jump with Kitchens as OC and calling the plays instead of Haley.

Good points. Baker is obviously the difference maker at the most important position in football - a position that has always been a weakness since the Browns came back into the league in 1999. Having said that, they also have an abundance of young, complementary play makers to build with. Myles Garrett is a force on defense, as is Denzel Ward (even though he's missed time with concussions). David Njoku, Nick Chubb and Jarvis Landry would start for any NFL team that doesn't have cornerstone players at those positions. The future is bright for the Browns and it'll be interesting to see what happens with the coaching search. Will Gregg Williams and Freddie Kitchens stay on in their current roles? Will GM Dorsey try to find the next Sean McVay in hopes of having a high octane offense? Time will tell but this sure has been a fun ride this season.

I've updated my Baker Mayfield stats after the Broncos game and here is where he stands after playing 6 games under Williams/Kitchens versus the 5 1/2 games he played under Jackson/Haley.

Completion %

58.2% - Jackson/Haley

70.6% - Williams/Kitchens

TD/INT

8/6 - Jackson/Haley

13/5 - Williams/Kitchens

Passing Yards

1,471 - Jackson/Haley

1/594 - Williams/Kitchens

Passer Rating Avg.

89.1 - Jackson/Haley

112.7 - Williams/Kitchens

I'm not an expert on Passer Rating but I'd venture to guess that when your TD/INT ratio is solid and your completion rate is good, you'll have a worthy Passer Rating. Mayfield's passing yards are very similar under both regimes but his completion percentage and TD/INT ratio is much better. That's the big difference I see.